How do you do it?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
12/19/14 11:57 a.m.

Spray paint?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/19/14 12:17 p.m.

Provide a little more information, please...are the parts just faded out, are they cracked, are they crumbling and turning into dust?

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
1/3/15 10:21 a.m.

Faded, worn, dirty, but all there and functional.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
1/3/15 10:41 a.m.

I've used this on the plastic fender flares on my Tacoma and the interior of my and SWMBO cars and they still look good after 10 years in the Arizona desert.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G4116-Natural-Shine-Protectant/dp/B0009IQXCC

I don't know how well it'll fare once stuff is faded and worn but its worth a shot plus it won't leave that greasy armour all feel to it.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
1/3/15 10:50 a.m.

If they are soft plastic I would hit it with a heat gun and see if that works-have had amazing results with some heat on badly faded plastics....

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/3/15 12:01 p.m.

Mothers Back to Black. Seriously, this stuff is amazing. It is marketed for exterior plastic, rubber or vinyl, but I have used it on interior bits as well with fantastic results. Use generously, and reapply for really faded pieces. Use it on any color trim, it's not tinted.

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
1/3/15 2:11 p.m.

Peanut butter

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/3/15 5:42 p.m.

I'm very interested in this as well ! The upper interior door panels (black plastic) on my '08 Mustang have dulled and faded over time because of the direct sun light through the window.

I'm reluctant to spray them but would love to find an application that might restore the color yet not make them shinny/greasy like Armor-All tends to do.

Anyone used anything to good effect for this sort of "restoration?"

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
1/3/15 5:48 p.m.

There are guys that do this stuff professionally. I had one guy repair a textured dash panel well enough that you really had to look close to see the repair. This was a dealer fix for something they messed up so I don't know what it cost, but those types of pros have some decent tools. Not sure what he used.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/15 6:43 p.m.

Krylon makes Fusion, a spray paint designed to bond to plastic. I'd try that in conjunction with Plasti-Coat's vinyl dye primer. On a test piece of course.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
1/3/15 6:43 p.m.

Step 1) Denatured Alcohol. Rub it down. This cleans the part off.

Step 2) Boiled Linseed Oil and Paint Thinner mixed 50/50, let it sit on the part for a bit, then wipe it off. Wonderfully effective.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
1/4/15 4:47 p.m.

In reply to mr2peak:

I was just about to suggest the same. I've never tried it but saw a good how to on some BMW forum or other. The how to I saw suggested this for exterior black plastic parts and pics a taken a few months later still looked good I wouldn't be afraid to try it on the interior.

Do be sure to use boiled not raw linseed oil & be careful of the rags you use. They may spontaneously combust & burn down your garage if they're just thrown into a bin.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
1/6/15 3:21 p.m.

"They may spontaneously combust . . . "

I "burnt down" my VW bus because of a similar mistake.

Thanks for the caution ! !

sporqster
sporqster Reader
1/6/15 4:55 p.m.

Measure, model, and 3D print new ones.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3d5fqxaO1HU7sO1VVNXlytEhA36x4PERBh3HpHWt9pGUxudrl7vMgnqFMETRvCl