92dxman
92dxman Dork
4/25/14 1:29 p.m.

As previously mentioned in another ad, my younger brother is looking for some wheels. I have a line on a 2003 Neon at a local dealer. It has power options/moonroof, 5 speed and about 91k miles on it. It has a newer moonroof motor, one owner car and really well maintained by the previous owner. I've seen it in person and it is in really good shape. I could get a really good price on it. Anything to look out for? Good choice for transportation?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
4/25/14 3:27 p.m.

I believe i have a thread with the very same question. I'll look for it.

Here it is: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/is-there-a-neon-experience-thread-here-new-search-/78839/page1/

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
4/25/14 3:31 p.m.

I think they are great cars.

Engine is durable.

Transmission is durable if you don't drive it dumb...Replacements transmissions were cheap but not sure now. Cannot be "fully" rebuilt unless you can track down some 1st and 2nd gear syncros and then you still need a serious press and heat. The only option was a new input/output shaft combo, so might as well get a reman trans.

Take a hard look at the rear suspension lateral link bushings for wear and tearing.

Take a hard look at the engine mounts for tearing.

They get good mileage for their age, I used to get 37MPG on the highway if I chilled.

Replace shifter linkage bushings. There were both hard and soft ones out there.

I do remember some posts on forums about the rear springs sagging with age, especially if used often to haul bicycles on the rear.

Otherwise perfect for DD usage.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/25/14 4:09 p.m.

VERY good choice for transportation. The Neon is a better car than it is generally given credit for.

underpowered
underpowered New Reader
4/25/14 5:17 p.m.

At 91k make sure the timing belt has been done or do it as soon as possible. It WILL bend most of the valves when it breaks. Other than that, the engines are generally pretty tough. The moon roof will leak and the moon roof motor will go bad again. It's a neon thing! Can't avoid it. The engine torque mounts probably need to be changed, they dry rot quickly. Maintenance is relatively cheap and they will go a long time.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/25/14 6:30 p.m.

The worst thing I have to say about the 2nd gen neon is that it isn't as sporty as the 1st gen. Everything else about it is better. If you aren't hung up on looks inside or out and don't have a latent anti-domestic elitism neurosis, then they are great general-use automobiles.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
4/25/14 8:44 p.m.

Lower control arm bushings are pretty typical failure too.

They are the bargain of the century for a DD.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/26/14 6:56 a.m.

Forwatd visibility is pretty much crap. A low windshield and huge A pillars make seeing traffic lights and turning from side streets challenging.

I think 03s had the front subframe rust issues sorted out. Not sure about rusty rocker panels like mine.

M030
M030 Dork
4/26/14 8:06 a.m.

I've had really good luck with those

92dxman
92dxman Dork
4/26/14 8:52 a.m.

It sounds like one with a moonroof is a can of worms i'd rather not deal with. Good thing is there seem to be no shortage of stick shift second gen Neons around here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qo9gxwgxaCqQhkP9lCIKQmXY6g4g0QQXeEQnMhOxvtRjs2MPMvSyIT2OjGV3E7XG