1 2 3
jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 6:51 a.m.

I am tired of buying appliances that look great and fall apart quickly. Lots of them fall into this category, but today I am focused on the dishwasher. 
I would like to replace my current 3 year old Samsung with something that doesn't break latches in 2 years, trays don't bind up out of the box and doesn't have a ton of electronic niceties that I don't need. 
I want a dependable, almost commercial unit. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/6/21 6:56 a.m.

I'm happy with our Bosch.  No heating element so less electricity used, heat only from the hot water which is enough.

I got nothing. 

I recently replaced a Samsung with a Whirlpool. 

Other than having to dig trash out of the pump, it has been decent but I have my doubts about how long it will last. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
4/6/21 7:03 a.m.

We have a Kitchenaid one that we got about 3 years ago that has been great.  We have 4 kids so it runs at least once a day.  Been doing that for 3 years straight no issues other than randomly we will clean out the basket inside and run some lemon cleaner through it.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 7:03 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

I got nothing. 

Other than having to dig trash out of the pump, it has been decent but I have my doubts about how long it will last. 

Interesting. I replaced my Whirlpool with Samsung. Similar experiences for me. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 7:06 a.m.

Anybody have experience with Miele?  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 7:07 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

We have a Kitchenaid one that we got about 3 years ago that has been great.  We have 4 kids so it runs at least once a day.  Been doing that for 3 years straight no issues other than randomly we will clean out the basket inside and run some lemon cleaner through it.

Good testimony. Yep...we have people. Lots of eating here too. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/6/21 7:07 a.m.

Sold appliances at Sears as a college job 13 years ago.  Bosch was stand above the rest in dishwashers back then. I would often talk people doing a whole kitchen set to break brand for a Bosch over other brands (not the same as fridge, stove, etc).

Stainless interiors are a major quality jump regardless of brand. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/6/21 7:09 a.m.

Anything German will not have a heating element due to The German energy requirements. They take for ever to wash and dry stuff because of it. This is not a bad or a good thing it is just a quirk of the German brands. 

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
4/6/21 7:31 a.m.

I have a Kitchen Aid, which is only 3 years old and we really like it. And it  has the heating element.    Except it started leaking a puddle after every load.

Home Warranty covers the part and repair.   Except the part is lost in the supply chain from China.  We may need to buy a new one.

jh36 said:
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

I got nothing. 

Interesting. I replaced my Whirlpool with Samsung. Similar experiences for me. 

The Samsung did a fine job of washing dishes. It had a sensor fail that was made out of unobtanium. After waiting for parts for 6 months, we bought a new machine. The Whirlpool is 2-3 years old. I haven't had any problems with it that weren't caused by the people running the machine. Plastic trash will make it into the pump and stop it up. It's not hard to clean, just a PITA. 

My mother has a Bosch. She hates it. It washes fine, but God forbid you interrupt the cycle to load a dish you forgot or someone leans against the buttons. It will not restart itself. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/6/21 8:03 a.m.

Technology connections on youtube has a good video on dishwashers and their detergents.

Mine is a '72 Whirlpool (?) I believe. I ain't getting rid of the damn thing, even though it sounds like a washing machine full of hammers sometimes.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/6/21 8:25 a.m.

Relevant to my interests. SWMBO is clamoring for a new dish washer at some point this year.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 8:26 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I mean there's a least a slight possibility he'll need to run some tools though the dishwasher occasionally, right?

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
4/6/21 8:29 a.m.

We bought a Bosch about 15 years ago and loved it for 10 years.  Then, one day, it caught fire and burned up our kitchen island, smoke damaging the rest of the house. We had to move out and move back in 6 months later.  It sucked.   It turned out there was a recall on the model we had because they had a tendency to catch fire. 

However, we bought another Bosch and it's great.   Quiet and washes very well.  After the fire, Bosch gave us a coupon for $60 off (and I think settled with our insurance company through subrogation).

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/6/21 9:31 a.m.

Five years ago I bought all new Whirlpool kitchen appliances. Same product family, so they all looked the same, so the OCD was happy.

Hated the Whirlpool dishwasher from day one.  It cleaned worse than the noisy 30+ year old GE Piranha I pulled out of there.

The pump died pretty early on, which was replaced, and then it developed a leak and ruined the floor. Then the heating element quit and it wouldn't clean worth poop - can't get one of those now.  I ripped it out and threw it away.

Bought a Bosch and I really enjoy it.  Yes, it has a heating element.  It cleans better than the Whirlpool ever did. It can also be restarted with the push of a button.  I'd buy another.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/6/21 9:34 a.m.

Seriously, we need a sticky thread for dishwashers in OT.  This question comes up every six months.

I'm a big fan of our Kitchenaid - been bombproof now for four years.  Quiet enough that I can't hear it unless I'm standing next to it, and we have a house with all hard floors (echoey).  Does a good job of cleaning.  

The Korean brands (Samsung, LG) tend to be like their other applicances- they're inexpensive and do a great job...at first.  Then they break, and they're basically unrepairable.

Bosch are great except for the aforementioned quirks, and DON'T buy a price-leader Bosch from one of the big-box stores, because they've all been pretty seriously decontented to the point that you're buying the name without the performance.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia New Reader
4/6/21 9:36 a.m.

GE in our house and rental house, rental house going on 6 years <furiously knocks on wood>. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
4/6/21 9:54 a.m.

I had a three-year-old Whirlpool.  It was loud, didn't clean very well, and I had to disassemble the clean the sprayer arms every six months or so.  When it leaked SWMBO easily convinced me to replace it.

My mom has a Miele and it's been great for her for several years.  But the only dealer was over an hour away and I was concerned about parts and service availability.  I settled on a Bosch and I love it.  It is quiet and it does a great job cleaning the dishes.  It has a 60-minute cycle but I rearely use it; I don't mind running a three-hour cycle since it saves water and electricity.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/6/21 10:15 a.m.

In my experience samsung makes junk appliances. We had one at the office that fried the control board to the tune of $500 a few days out of warranty.

I have been very happy with our BOSCH. What ever brand you buy make sure it has a filter in the bottom that you can remove by hand. The one we had before the BOSCH rewired 20 minutes of disassembly whenever the screen got clogged up with schmoo.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/6/21 10:28 a.m.

Do you use your dishwasher as a parts washer, or something?... Just trying to figure out why this is a Grassroots Motorsports question, and not an off-topic question.

That being said, we've been happy with our Bosch 800 Series.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 10:28 a.m.

We bought the premium Kitchenaid with the stainless interior back in September and use it twice a day with four kids. I have zero complaints about it so far.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 10:35 a.m.

Thanks to you all...sorry if this is a repeat question...

You have me pointed at a BOSCH but I am going to weigh that against Miele.  I sort of want the dishwasher equivalent of a Vulcan stove.

I have cedar shakes on my roof. When it came time to do another, i had a friend in Oregon sell and ship me 3/4" butt quarter sawn shingles.  He said they were good for 50 years.  And I will be dead.  Slam dunk.

I want a dishwasher like that.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/6/21 10:40 a.m.

We are VERY happy with out Bosch dishwasher.  Really cleans well, and with 8 people in the household, gets used at least two times a day.   Highly recommend.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/6/21 10:41 a.m.

We have a kitchenaide that came with the house. Stainless interior, heated drying, handful of modes. Use it at least once a day every day for the past year and it's great. No idea how old it is.

In my 33 years this is the first dishwasher I've ever had anywhere that actually works as more than just a drying rack. 

Still takes 3-4 hours to wash and dry a load, which bothers me immensely, but it just works.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TNxV1Cj0yew22weoS8xpOsh3oVztvka2RoACI2D6T55mUAbFv6j90p9tMVBq2Arl