1 2 3
jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/6/21 10:55 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I mean there's a least a slight possibility he'll need to run some tools though the dishwasher occasionally, right?

The oven has been used very occasionally for heating car parts...I've never thought of using the dishwasher.  Hmm.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 12:01 p.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I mean there's a least a slight possibility he'll need to run some tools though the dishwasher occasionally, right?

The oven has been used very occasionally for heating car parts...I've never thought of using the dishwasher.  Hmm.

It's best for tools. Gets the oil off and shines up the chrome.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
4/6/21 3:52 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

GE in our house and rental house, rental house going on 6 years <furiously knocks on wood>. 

Yeah.  One year for every Sigma.  You'd better be knocking.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
4/6/21 3:58 p.m.

I bought a KitchAid from Habitat for Humantiy Restore, full stainless interior for $50.  I don't know how old it is, but it is whisper quiet and works really well.

I gave up on dishwasher packs, use liquid (plus some for prewash), and run hot water in the sink before starting.  Work great.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 4:03 p.m.

Good timing. Our first dishwasher was a Bosch and lasted forever. When it needed replacing, after reading consumer reports, we went for a GE. Biggest mistake ever. The thing was basically a piece of E36 M3 from day one, never washed anywhere near as well as the Bosch, needed cleaning more frequently, was harder to clean the drain area, Parts broke more often on it. We've had it probably about seven years and while it's still works I am completely sick of it. We tried to order a new Bosch back in January and the normal big box store said they couldn't get them. Just tried again and I'm getting a brand new top of the line Bosch delivered Friday. I know several other people who have been through a similar experience. I'll never touch another dishwasher that doesn't say Bosch on it.

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
4/6/21 6:28 p.m.

Another vote for a Bosch but no experience with Meile. We got the Bosch with CrystalDry just after Thanksgiving when they couldn't be found easily, so I jumped. It's not perfect- particularly for the ridges on plastic lids that always collect water. Now I wish we got the model one step down that automatically cracks the door when it's finished to let the moisture escape. Likely just as dry but bonus house humidification in the winter.

Riley_88
Riley_88 Reader
4/6/21 7:22 p.m.

We replaced our appliances about 2.5 years ago and went with LG.  The dishwasher and microwave have been fine.  The oven quit about 2 weeks ago.  It was an igniter and was easy enough to do myself.  The freezer door seal went around Christmas and the new one took a lot of messing around to get a good seal but it did the job.  Just recently the fridge decided it no longer wants to make the freezer as cold as it should be won't keep the fridge cold at all.  When I had no luck fixing it I called a service guy who after trying a few things said the fridge was done...buy a new one.  Call me crazy but I expected more than 2.5 years out of it!

I have a Kitchenaid replacement on order.  The service guy said that's the only brand he would buy but he would still insist on an extended warranty.

Appliances suck.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/6/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

We bought a highly rated Samsung last spring, right around the time that quarantine was ramping up and supplies were getting tight. We might have chosen this one anyway, even under normal circumstances.

But I've berkeleying hated this machine from Day One.

We have a U-shaped kitchen setup, and it sits flush with the counter (and I don't have the option of recessing it). Every time you brush up against the counter, it turns itself On or Off. This will happen a dozen times if you happen to be standing there making a sandwich or doing other meal prep stuff. Every berkeleying time.

I want this machine to die.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/6/21 7:48 p.m.
Carl Heideman said:

We bought a Bosch about 15 years ago and loved it for 10 years.  Then, one day, it caught fire and burned up our kitchen island, smoke damaging the rest of the house. We had to move out and move back in 6 months later.  It sucked.   It turned out there was a recall on the model we had because they had a tendency to catch fire. 

However, we bought another Bosch and it's great.   Quiet and washes very well.  After the fire, Bosch gave us a coupon for $60 off (and I think settled with our insurance company through subrogation).

We just got a new Bosch at the firehouse last week.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
4/6/21 8:32 p.m.

When we built our current house in 2000, we had all Jenn-Air appliances.  We only have one left now, the oven.  The dishwasher was working fine in 2012 when we replaced it, but the racks were shot and no longer available.  Rust spots on the edges of the dishes were not OK with my bride.  Replaced with a Maytag.  Only problem was that the grinder before the pump had to be replaced.  Think I did it for less than $50 about a year ago.  Cleans very well and is fairly quiet.

WillG80
WillG80 Reader
4/6/21 8:44 p.m.

Another vote for Bosch. I got a newer model on Craigslist for $100. PO claimed it didn't clean the dishes well. The filter was completely clogged but ran great after a quick clean. it did a great job cleaning everything and it was super quiet. Couldn't even tell when it was running. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
4/6/21 9:08 p.m.

Happy Bosch owner here.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
4/6/21 9:36 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to jh36 :

We bought a highly rated Samsung last spring, right around the time that quarantine was ramping up and supplies were getting tight. We might have chosen this one anyway, even under normal circumstances.

We have a U-shaped kitchen setup, and it sits flush with the counter (and I don't have the option of recessing it). Every time you brush up against the counter, it turns itself On or Off. This will happen a dozen times if you happen to be standing there making a sandwich or doing other meal prep stuff. Every berkeleying time.

Run the power to a light switch and mount it under the sink. Turn it off until it's time to run it. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/7/21 4:52 a.m.

I spent some time on the Bosch site and looking at reviews. I think the 300 series is the best fit. 

I want a simple machine with fewer things to break. Think, wind up windows and manual locks. AC delete. 4 speed. 

I don't want something automatically opening when finished. I don't want little lights telling me it is on. I want ON/OFF.  That may not exist in the Bosch line, but of the lineup, 300 seems closest?

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/7/21 4:56 a.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I sent this thread to my wife. Sorry sweetheart...it wasn't really dirty. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/21 5:32 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

It seems you're still alive, so she must not be too mad about it!

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
4/7/21 6:51 a.m.

Bought a Bosch 800 series late last year and can't be happier.  Yes it cost quite a bit but the dishes even feel clean when you pull them out unlike our last one.   its whisper quiet.  With the crystal dry, we run it after dinner and even the plastics are dry when we unload the next day.   It does use a lot of rinseaid that we didn't use in our last dishwasher.   

We went with the pocket handle with the buttons hidden  on the top of the door.  We have a 2 yr old that likes to push any buttons he sees.   he hasn't messed with it at all yet.

Time will tell what the long term reliability is.  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/7/21 11:20 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

It seems you're still alive, so she must not be too mad about it!

She's out of town.  She get's back tonight.  If i go silent......

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
4/7/21 6:00 p.m.
jh36 said:
Placemotorsports said:

We have a Kitchenaid one that we got about 3 years ago that has been great.  We have 4 kids so it runs at least once a day.  Been doing that for 3 years straight no issues other than randomly we will clean out the basket inside and run some lemon cleaner through it.

Good testimony. Yep...we have people. Lots of eating here too. 

We have lots of people here too. Everyone gets a turn at doing dishes the old fashioned way. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/8/21 5:00 a.m.

Ok, I'm going Bosch. Thanks for your help all. I'm looking at the 300 series for simplicity's sake. 
I appreciate the guidance!

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/8/21 5:59 a.m.

On our second Bosch. First one lasted 15+ years, still worked fine when we got rid of it but it no longer turned itself off due to an issue with the control board and they no longer make a replacement. Had the new one for about a year now, just as good as the first. Cleans dishes great, reliable as a hammer. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/8/21 6:03 a.m.
914Driver said:

I'm happy with our Bosch.  No heating element so less electricity used, heat only from the hot water which is enough.

I h8 our Bosch. No heating element so the dishes take forever and are not cleaned at ALL. Have to pre wash everything. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/24/21 8:23 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to jh36 :

I'm bumping this thread because our hateful, 18 month old Samsung threw a fatal code and E36 M3 the bed last night.

I'm annoyed that I need to buy another dishwasher, but I won't miss this thing.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
6/24/21 8:39 a.m.

just bought all new kitchen appliances last week myself. 

Spoke to the local appliance store service technician in depth on dishwashers, he reccomended Bosh.  GE was his runner up.  Miele gets high marks by online reviewers, but is a more expensive brand, service guy was...meh on them.   Bosh fridges and stoves aren't well regarded, so if you're looking to stay in one brand and appearance for all of them you're gonna compromise somewhere.  GE seemed to be above average in everything, but not the best anywhere.

Un-boxing my stove i found two extra screws  and a multitude of loose ones on the back and bottom of the unit. returned that one and got another, also unopened box, same thing. Questionable build quality. It works and looks fine.   My fridge and dishwasher  so far are faultless. 

The GE profile dishwasher I got is stainless inside with bottle washers,adjustable height upper shelf,  and sprayers directly on the utinsile tray. Its so damn quite you forget it's running. Seriously, whisper quiet.

Both Bosch and GE offer models with built in catch trays which will shutdown the unit in the event a leak is detected, but that's on the high end one's that im too cheap to pay for.  

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/21 9:36 a.m.

We have a KitchenAid (Whirlpool) and it sucks.  Was dead out of the box and needed a repair visit.  You have to close the door just-so, or it won't detect the door is shut and start the cycle.  The stainless tub inside is incredibly susceptible to dents and it looks like it's beat-to-hell after 3 years.  

The trays are infinitely adjustable, but all of the little plastic clips are getting brittle and breaking.

I think it's all crap now.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JazfU77Hk6bdSGjIDBn0qCzCaU2IfJjv3i5D5JktcV10kP56WX3kRxbhlzAEc7wg