1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
6/12/13 11:59 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
Vigo wrote:
Ah, just saw the require premium fuel too :(
You WERE aware that they have a TURBO, right??
I glossed right over this the last time I read this thread. You mean there's cars that take regular fuel? I haven't been able to push that button in the better part of a decade. I actually used to fill my winter beater on accident with premium because I was so used to it for my DD. Also- I love the argument over premium vs regular. It's what, 20 cents more a gallon? I'm paying like 2.50$/tank more than a regular mazda 3, getting 1mpg less than my old one, and I have 100 more whp. I consider that a win.

+1,000,000.

A shocking number of people will gloss over a car because it takes premium and instead go for something with far worse gas mileage just because it takes regular.

Think about that a minute.

If a car takes premium and gets 30 MPG vs something that takes regular and gets 20 MPG...YOU'RE NOT SAVING A DIME!

facepalm

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/12/13 12:06 p.m.

Assuming the following

• 30 MPG for each vehicle
  • 10,000 miles a year
  • $0.25 difference from regular to premium

There is an $83 difference per year in regular vs. premium.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/12/13 12:12 p.m.

In reply to jstein77:

They're decent, there was one local running G-stock on street rubber when I had my ion redline. I had him in the handling department, brakes, and tighter corners.....he always had the advantage in power. That advantage brought him pretty close on some longer courses.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/12/13 12:13 p.m.
mtn wrote: Assuming the following - 30 MPG for each vehicle - 10,000 miles a year - $0.25 difference from regular to premium There is an $83 difference per year in regular vs. premium.

Yo, berkeley THAT noise. I can't be affording that E36 M3.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/12/13 12:26 p.m.

Funny never thought of it that way. Then again in every thread we go and talk about economy people lament how owning a TDI like me couldn't possibly save them money because of the diesel price

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/12/13 5:47 p.m.

It wouldnt save me money because i get 47mpg in my 87-octane gas car. But i still want a TDI.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/12/13 6:03 p.m.

If I didn't need to haul babyseats I might try an insight. Of course I keep wanting to mod mine because moar power and torque without a fuel economy hit seems full of win

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/12/13 6:15 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mtn wrote: Assuming the following - 30 MPG for each vehicle - 10,000 miles a year - $0.25 difference from regular to premium There is an $83 difference per year in regular vs. premium.
Yo, berkeley THAT noise. I can't be affording that E36 M3.

That's a reeeyalm payment, y0!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/12/13 6:20 p.m.

I looked at them when I was car shopping a while back and was kind of shocked by how well they were holding their value. Probably shoulda bought one new!

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/12/13 6:33 p.m.
If I didn't need to haul babyseats I might try an insight. Of course I keep wanting to mod mine because moar power and torque without a fuel economy hit seems full of win

If you want more torque i wouldnt bother trying an insight. They have great torque delivery but not much of it.. Although turbo'd insights (i have a turbo and intercooler and BOV and flanges for mine) do pretty well. The highest dynoing one ive seen (there are very few and they dont get pushed very hard) did ~123whp/222wtq @ 12 psi.. 200+wtq in an 1800 lb car would be fun.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
6/12/13 6:39 p.m.

I had a long essay here but its not needed.

Buy one they cost less than decent NA miatas in most cases and having owned both you have issues if you prefer the miata.

The interior is perfectly fine similar to every Japanese car Ive been in except the seats dont suck. I have no idea how you guys were getting such bad gas mileage in street car trim I was getting around 26mpg now Im around 20mpg of course on track its in the low single digits.

They are remarkably tolerant to being beaten and questionably modified. 05s have some gearbox issues mine is still good at 110k everything else is super solid.

If you buy one order booger bushings, poly bushing kit, and, solid motor/trans mounts.

Just buy one it will make you laugh that what its about

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/12/13 7:02 p.m.
Buy one they cost less than decent NA miatas in most cases

Wait. What?

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
6/12/13 7:17 p.m.

Ive seen 3 for around $3500 in the last three days most are 03s (215hp and no LSD) and or have a slight issue (usually a misadjusted clutch or poor modifications) I quick check of one of the facebook groups (no endorsement) shows a range of $3500 for a nice looking 04 that needs a clutch all the way to $12,000 for a 45000mi stage 3 05.

I sold a crappy 90 miata for $3000 with the dying 1.6 and a ready to go 1.8 and a fire damaged 92 with a hard top for something like $1000. Miata prices tend to be high around here for some reason.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/12/13 7:59 p.m.

Their price ranges are starting to overlap but in most cases you'd get a way nicer miata than srt for something like 4-5k.

The plastic-y parts of the srt interior are regular 2g neon fair, but both types of available seats are very good for the 'class' of car it is.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
6/12/13 8:19 p.m.

Of course you would get a nicer miata that said comparing a ten year old sport compact to a twenty year old sports car makes no sense. Love the SRT4 for what it is a modern muscle car that just happens to handle and stop pretty well (can be made to handle and stop very well)

I would love for someone impartial to point out what is wrong with a neon interior. Ive been in cars from every manufacturer and really there is no difference. I personally prefer plastic that is just fine with being plastic over plastic that is suppose to look like wood/metal or feel like leather. When properly put together without broken parts they dont rattle

I have car ADD with the best on here and can only say after almost 4 years mine still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

asetech
asetech New Reader
6/12/13 8:46 p.m.

I bought mine new in May '03. Has 137k on it now. Gets 27 mpg as my daily driver. I have the stage 2 kit on it, bigger sway bars, exhaust, short throw shifter, k&n filter, clutch and aluminum flywheel, lsd, etc... Its been a great car.

Issues I've had:

• Left front wheel bearing (twice and noisy again)
  • Stock coil doesn't like 20 psi - replaced with individual coil packs
  • 4 sets of tires (not the cars fault)

That's about it for problems, but it is an extremely fun car. Like was said earlier, find one that hasn't been beat on too much.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/12/13 10:35 p.m.
comparing a ten year old sport compact to a twenty year old sports car makes no sense.

Exactly. And please post links to these running, driving SRT's for $3k. I'm interested!

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
6/12/13 10:42 p.m.

So another data point - my wife and I drove the Neon R/Ts in the 2004/2005 timeframe at Skip Barber's school at Limerock. Only changes from stock were the SRT-4 rear sway bar and some BF Goodrich tires, and they were a lot of fun to drive on the auto-x course. They lacked a turbo, but I would bet they're in the 3k range right now...

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/12/13 11:08 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
comparing a ten year old sport compact to a twenty year old sports car makes no sense.
Exactly. And please post links to these running, driving SRT's for $3k. I'm interested!

Random anecdotal data point: I've seen them around here (halfway across the country from you) around $4500, but at that price point the condition is bad enough that it isn't worth it if only because you can get a (insert whatever car) for the same price.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/12/13 11:08 p.m.

What kind of driving are you doing seeing 27mpg?

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
6/12/13 11:25 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Funny never thought of it that way. Then again in every thread we go and talk about economy people lament how owning a TDI like me couldn't possibly save them money because of the diesel price

This. I don't understand people turning away car buys because "premium is expensive" or "holy crap diesel isn't worth it." So it costs a few extra bucks to fill the tank, the benefits, especially with the TDI make it WELL worth it.

So back to the srt-4 thing. The car was intended to be the fastest sport compact for a 20K price tag. It did that and did it damn well. They are a barrell of fun to drive, torque steer like no tomorrow, and have an awesomely cheap interior. With a few suspension improvements, wider wheels, and cheap go-fast mods, you have yourself a fun little car that gets decent mpg's.

I can't believe how cheap these things are lately. They hard part will be finding one in good, fairly unmolested condition.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/12/13 11:30 p.m.

It's automotive add and thinking if I move to pac NW miata might not be the answer

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
6/12/13 11:33 p.m.

Oh, and btw, some friends who owned srt's here in FL would get 25 in town and around 30 on the highway. That is, if they could be easy on the gas. Otherwise, low 20s are more realistic.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/12/13 11:54 p.m.

The srt's around here either dead synchros, broken axles in the trans, or are currently hydrolocked......its just a bunch of highschool kids playing with their parents pocketbooks though.

If I were choosing srt4, CSS, or IRL again.....I'd choose the IRL again hands down. Shocking when you can say a Saturn is a better built car.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
6/13/13 12:40 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: It's automotive add and thinking if I move to pac NW miata might not be the answer

What? Why, because we have some rain in some places? Less than 10" per year in parts. I've been driving one for close to 20 years up here in the Seattle area with a soft top. It's kinda rainy in Great Britain too, but that didn't stop them from designing and driving roadsters.

No comment on the Neon.

-Hamid

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4o526ssLKpxAX9bhXglexjCS7cnbn2SbbGdFHa2AnpxJ7YnsZUytMZKr8Vy6y09F