84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/13/22 11:37 a.m.

I thought I'd reach out to the bay area GRM hive for some input.

I'll be out in the San Francisco area staying in Fremont next week for work.  I'm interested in your favorite places for food/beers.  I love literally any type of food, assuming tasty.  Short list of things I definitely want to eat include Chopino and Oysters.  

Hunting the various online sites for interesting car parts/wheels etc as well but not a huge priority.

Appreciate it!

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
11/13/22 12:09 p.m.

If your into breakfast foods, find a Lumpys Diner. They're scattered around the Bay area. Amazing Benedict's, great everything else, and very much hot rod themed. 

The fish market/fisherman's wharf area has freshest oysters you can find. Specific restaurant names escape me, but find somewhere to park nearby and just walk through, you'll find something delicious.

The rest of my information is 10 years and 45 minutes East out of date

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/13/22 1:06 p.m.

Nice - appreciate a tasty breakfast joint!

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
11/13/22 1:15 p.m.

Is Harry's Hoffbrau still open?

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
11/13/22 1:33 p.m.

Alice's. Go for the drive, stay for the burgers and cars. Weekends are best. Everything from Ferrari Challenge cars to ratty Datsuns, and the roads are always fun

For Oysters, go to Hog Island Oyster Co in Point Reyes. Again, amazing roads, worth the drive just for the drive.

Tommy's Joynt in downtown SF is good meat eating, been there for 80+ years, cheap eats.

More Oysters at Swan's Oyster Depot, only open for lunch always a long line freshest raw fish in the city lots of seviche type stuff.

Alice's and Hog Island shouldn't be missed, the roads are super fun

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/13/22 6:41 p.m.

Oooh good options sir - thank you!

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
11/13/22 7:14 p.m.

I can give you a bunch, but three that I love are Fish, Nopalito and Nopa. 

If you like Mexican, Nopalito:

Nopa:

Fish on the other side of the GG

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
11/13/22 7:19 p.m.

Gott's Roadside burguers also on the wharf. 

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
11/13/22 8:50 p.m.

Princeton by the sea seafood market has really good clam chowder, if you make it coastside.  You can also check out duartes in pescadero.  Neat area.  

If you get bored in Fremont, go to the little town of Niles, neat place.  Drive thru Niles canyon.  

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
11/13/22 9:40 p.m.
mr2peak said:

Alice's. Go for the drive, stay for the burgers and cars. Weekends are best. Everything from Ferrari Challenge cars to ratty Datsuns, and the roads are always fun

For Oysters, go to Hog Island Oyster Co in Point Reyes. Again, amazing roads, worth the drive just for the drive.

Tommy's Joynt in downtown SF is good meat eating, been there for 80+ years, cheap eats.

More Oysters at Swan's Oyster Depot, only open for lunch always a long line freshest raw fish in the city lots of seviche type stuff.

Alice's and Hog Island shouldn't be missed, the roads are super fun

Plus many.. Alice's Restaurant is all about the drive on Skyline Blvd. worth the time. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/14/22 7:40 a.m.

You guys are the best!  Very excited for some legit food.  Now to hope I get a decent rental our of the National corrall to enjoy some good roads.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
11/14/22 11:44 a.m.

That's a pretty large gap in real estate and rent.  If you're near actual S.F., just aim toward North Beach, and stop when you hit a restaurant.  Same goes for Chinatown.  Fremont/East Bay is . . .

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/14/22 11:55 a.m.

IN -N-OUT burger!

Yeah its basiclly fast food, but its good and only available out west.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
11/14/22 12:45 p.m.
bentwrench said:

Is Harry's Hoffbrau still open?

The one in Campbell closed a few years ago. The ones in Redwood City and San Leandro are still open. I went a few times mainly for the beer. The food was just OK  IMHO. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
11/14/22 12:53 p.m.

FWIW: Driving anywhere from Fremont is going to take a while. Be prepared to sit in a lot of traffic. We drove through there a few weeks ago on our way to a concert in Berkeley a couple weeks ago. 4PM on a Saturday and 880 was 25-30mph.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/15/22 3:01 a.m.

My living there experience is 35 years out of date, but I can second Nopalito from a visit, and recommend the posole.

I miss the food in S.F. more than anything.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/15/22 12:00 p.m.

The GRM gods smiled upon me in the rental car department.  An ND Answer was waiting for me in the garage.  It'a an auto, sad face, but still more interesting and have had the top down the whole time.  After all, it was 32 and snowing when I flew out of Cincinnati.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
11/15/22 3:16 p.m.

Got a few items for you. But not sure what your price points are, so they may be across the board.

For Beer and cocktails:

City beer store- fantastic tap room and bottle shop, good food as well

21st amendment- fun brewery with some interesting beer

I love a good tiki drink, so Smuggler's Cove (bit of a speakeasy, but can find on google) or Tonga Room (famous for being in an inside pool)

Cold Drinks Bar was an excellent cocktail bar I went to after dinner one night.

Food:

Flour + Water- amazing upscale pasta and pizza

Tartine Bakery- always a line, always worth it

The Lazy Bear- two Michelin stars, usually full so hard to get a reservation. Just went in August and had one of the most incredible meals in my life with a crazy wine pairing as well. Not cheap.

Salt & Straw- Ice Cream Store- started in portland, really unusual and great flavors. You can see what their theme of the month is on their website. We go to them up here in Seattle quite a bit.

Ferry Terminal Building is fun to walk through, and there is a farmer's market on one of the weekend days

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/15/22 7:51 p.m.

Thanks guys!  Notmon the list but a slid find was a Malaysian fusion place called Banana Leaf in Milpitas near my customer.  Best food since the last time I was in Malaysia.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
11/16/22 1:11 p.m.

If you don't mind driving take a run over to Half Moon Bay and find The Moss Beach Distillery, great food and fantastic views.  It sits on a small cliff over the coast.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
11/16/22 9:09 p.m.

You are making out with some really really nice weather in SF Bay Area right now. Drop that top  and turn on the heater.  Keep the windows rolled up and you be fine with a a hat. 

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
11/17/22 2:50 a.m.

Hope you make it to Alice's this weekend. Seriously, don't miss it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SLW8CKMnPtsZvYsyluAGHNQtGfWTnByl5WsHgAiRB2dP3DnGe5MIpii7Ho0zgEXh