_
_ Dork
2/13/20 4:11 p.m.

Still scoping out that deal I posted a day ago. It's $350, you get a day of instruction. Entry into TNIA, plus a bunch of other stuff. 
 

Hagerty says 109$ for the event. That's insuring the value of the car, and I guess the mods. I've got brand new Z rated tires. Does TNIA allow NC miatas without aftermarket roll bars? Anything I'm forgetting. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
2/13/20 4:26 p.m.
_ said:

Does TNIA allow NC miatas without aftermarket roll bars?

_
_ Dork
2/13/20 4:36 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Dang it! Thanks for posting that. I have read that before, but I owned the NA at the time. So I didn't pay much attention to it as regards to the NC

_
_ Dork
2/13/20 4:39 p.m.

Secondary question, at track night in America, how are the novices given an instructor? Does somebody pick names out of a hat? I'm asking because the last time I did a track experience, my instructor was the guy that did not use positivity for reinforcement. And he liked to yell, something I am not OK with. The last thing I need at a buck 120, is someone feeding tenacity into the situation  

Would it be prudent ask for a different instructor, should that be the case this time? I don't want to come off as that "novice guy who knows it all"

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/13/20 4:57 p.m.

No instructors with tnia, its how costs stay low. You get a classroom session and lead follow session on track before being let loose.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/13/20 5:07 p.m.
_ said:

Still scoping out that deal I posted a day ago. It's $350, you get a day of instruction. Entry into TNIA, plus a bunch of other stuff. 
 

Hagerty says 109$ for the event. That's insuring the value of the car, and I guess the mods. I've got brand new Z rated tires. Does TNIA allow NC miatas without aftermarket roll bars? Anything I'm forgetting. 

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/pages/faq-2

No instructor available, but there are people there to talk with about your concerns/questions.

and convertibles newer than 2006 without FI dont need a bar (though there are bars available for the NC if you're concerned).

_
_ Dork
2/13/20 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Thanks. The Nc technically has a bar built in. Though most scoff at its worthiness. 

adam525i
adam525i HalfDork
2/13/20 5:53 p.m.
_ said:

Secondary question, at track night in America, how are the novices given an instructor? Does somebody pick names out of a hat? I'm asking because the last time I did a track experience, my instructor was the guy that did not use positivity for reinforcement. And he liked to yell, something I am not OK with. The last thing I need at a buck 120, is someone feeding tenacity into the situation  

Would it be prudent ask for a different instructor, should that be the case this time? I don't want to come off as that "novice guy who knows it all"

Never be afraid to ask for another instructor, you paid good money to be on the track and the point is to have a good experience and learn something. It sucks but the head instructor should be ready for requests like that and it might get them to take a second look at some of their instructors if they are getting feedback like that. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/13/20 6:02 p.m.
fatallightning said:

No instructors with tnia, its how costs stay low. You get a classroom session and lead follow session on track before being let loose.

Sweet, so like the Fundayz at Nelson Ledges around 20 years ago, except with a classroom session.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/13/20 6:47 p.m.
Knurled. said:
fatallightning said:

No instructors with tnia, its how costs stay low. You get a classroom session and lead follow session on track before being let loose.

Sweet, so like the Fundayz at Nelson Ledges around 20 years ago, except with a classroom session.

Yep! Only novices get the classroom, everyone else a general drivers meeting and flag reminder session. Designated passing zoned and point bys only. Good times!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/13/20 7:48 p.m.

What deal you posted?

johndej
johndej HalfDork
2/13/20 9:02 p.m.

Watch out that some tracks like VIR are exception for the roll bar rule. For them it was required for all convertibles regardless of year.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
2/13/20 11:18 p.m.

If you're in the NJMP through New England area, I'd be happy to instruct you in your NC with NASA or MassTuning, _.  

Don't do anything too scary and I won't yell!  I haven't had to yet, I don't want to start now :)

Cactus
Cactus Reader
2/14/20 6:03 a.m.

As an instructor, if you have to yell, you're too late. I usually tell my student after a botched turn, "don't worry, clear your head, let's get the next one right".

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/14/20 6:10 a.m.

In reply to Cactus :

As a driver, the HARDEST thing about screwing up is getting back in the groove.  I've felt myself getting further behind the course like a cassette player with a weak battery.  That one single instruction is probably the most important one.

_
_ Dork
2/14/20 9:29 a.m.

Yeah. The instruction is all day, so it's separate from the TNIA event I guess. But the TNIA is that night. Sounds like a long day. 
 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/14/20 10:57 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

If you're in the NJMP through New England area, I'd be happy to instruct you in your NC with NASA or MassTuning, _.  

Don't do anything too scary and I won't yell!  I haven't had to yet, I don't want to start now :)

Also, additional note, NJMP has extra restrictions for convertibles. I seem to be finding conflicting readings of it, but NJ typically requires ALL convertibles to have a roll bar, and possibly even arm restraints. And if you're wearing a harness, it has to be a 5/6. 

_
_ Dork
2/14/20 11:15 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

If you're in the NJMP through New England area, I'd be happy to instruct you in your NC with NASA or MassTuning, _.  

Don't do anything too scary and I won't yell!  I haven't had to yet, I don't want to start now :)

That is incredibly kind of you! Unfortunately, I am on the West Coast.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
2/14/20 11:26 a.m.
Cactus said:

As an instructor, if you have to yell, you're too late. I usually tell my student after a botched turn, "don't worry, clear your head, let's get the next one right".

And the corollary to that: Slow down for the next few and collect yourself.  This lap is gone anyway.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
2/14/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to _ :

Yeah, I probably won't be much help then :)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
2/14/20 12:23 p.m.
Cactus
Cactus Reader
2/14/20 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

If it's clear my student is shaken, I'll suggest pulling into the pit, deep breaths, close your eyes, reset, pull back out to a clear track where there's less traffic. Usually they're happy to pull off. No shame in it, missing a lap or two to come back refreshed is way better than being awful for the rest of the session.

The best thing for me about driving around a track is how zen it becomes. If you are experienced enough to put in consistent, safe laps, you don't have to think. I dunno about you, but my conscious brain doesn't work as fast as my car can go. Gather important info with peripheral vision, and you start noticing flags on the opposite side of the track. Put your active thoughts not into what you're doing currently, but what you can be doing a step or two (or more) ahead. Always be ready to learn something, even if that is the color of the shorts of the cute chick waving flags in turn 10.

 

Of course I don't typically give that last paragraph to novices. Usually intermediates looking to go to advanced.

_
_ Dork
2/14/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

Thats called mental Flow, and it's a very good situation to be in. I've completed races in that state and kinda "come to" at or near the finish line or pits. It's wild. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
2/14/20 8:11 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Also, additional note, NJMP has extra restrictions for convertibles. I seem to be finding conflicting readings of it, but NJ typically requires ALL convertibles to have a roll bar, and possibly even arm restraints. And if you're wearing a harness, it has to be a 5/6. 

Good call on that.. I forgot about the special rules at NJMP.... I've only been there in racecars or coupes..

Our Preferred Partners
mMdtrygnonOJpxy1eJtGqlf1yb88upF33hJEHzwIVE4uAEy7C65qCAjlkUtlhPAo