93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/1/11 10:33 p.m.

So I have a line on a TR7 (not running due to blown head gasket) with parts car (that has a running engine with 5 speed on it) for $400. I am thinking of using it as my autocross car. Should I do it?

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/1/11 10:36 p.m.

Yes. You absolutely should. You should also make it berkeleying fast and put on flares like you'll find here

I seriously don't think you can go wrong for 400 bucks for the two though unless they are very rusty

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
11/1/11 10:37 p.m.

How's the bottom 4 inches of the cars? Still present?

Later TR7s aren't bad, but if they're early ones I'd run the other way as fast as possible.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/2/11 1:41 a.m.

The things handle great, especially with just a few bearing replacements.

You'll never get any real power out of the damn thing. It will be the turd in the swimming pool at an autocross.

They're fun, though. Before the rules creep in SCCA Improved Touring, there was a guy who walked all over the 1st gen RX-7s in the turns..but of course, got left behind on the straights.

What year? Cars built before 1978 were built in the cesspool over at Speke:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/liverpool/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8401000/8401200.stm

Still breaks my heart, all these years later. IMO, Triumph was the only British marque other than Jag that actually tried to build a (then) modern car after the Japanese companies left the writing on the wall..

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/2/11 5:24 a.m.

I have a buick V6 conversion in my garage that is built to put down about 250 horsepower.

It makes for a fun car...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 6:33 a.m.

I am going to go look at the car at some point soon. It is owned by a local European car mechanic and from what he has said I don't think it is too rusty.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
11/2/11 6:34 a.m.

I loved TR-7's as a kid. If I could find a decent one for 400 clams I'd jump on it.

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
11/2/11 7:11 a.m.

They are a ton of fun at the track...not as fast as even my stock Miata, but lively handling and just plain smile worthy.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 8:00 a.m.

Does anyone know if the stock cooling system will hold up on track days? Do they have any oil starvation problems in hard corners? OR any other problems which might show up from being beat on?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/2/11 8:10 a.m.

My high school autoshop teacher had one. Needed a full-time class of students to keep it running.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
11/2/11 8:22 a.m.

They are fun cars. My only surprise was the total lack of camber adjustment. We trimmed down the spring hats, slotted the shock towers, and managed to get a little free camber. Listen to the comments about the 4 being low powered.
Oh, and when you are trying to read the repair manual: Wing = fender, Propeller shaft = drive shaft, spanner = wrench, and prise = pry. (We had to use 3 shop manuals (TR7, TR8, and '61 Buick 215) The wedge shop is great on parts and information.

2018 pounds and 200 hp. We are working to improve those numbers

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 8:26 a.m.

In reply to spin_out:

I absolutely loved that car at the Challenge. I kinda want to go rotary powered but that is going to be for a while. Although it seems like making extra power isn't that hard with the stock engine.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/2/11 11:20 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to spin_out: I absolutely loved that car at the Challenge. I kinda want to go rotary powered but that is going to be for a while. Although it seems like making extra power isn't that hard with the stock engine.

My understanding from when I was looking at them is that making power with them is a lot like making power with any other little British car; it can be done, but it's cheap and you go a lot further if you're willing to put a V6 or V8 in.

There is a 16 Valve SOHC head conversion from the Dolomite Sprint though. Don't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't terribly cheap as I recall.

What years are the two cars? There's always this handy buying guide if you need more information on them

You might also poke around here: http://www.thewedgeshop.com/tr7.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 11:22 a.m.

Not sure on the years. I will have to ask the guy. I was thinking of shaving the head, dumping the smog crap, hot cam, better carbs and a header.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/2/11 11:25 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Just converting everything to the UK spec is supposed to be good for another 15hp over stock, so if your goals are reasonable I don't see how that could fail to make for a fun car.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 11:28 a.m.

If I remember right the difference between UK and US specs were the pistons and carbs. I am not looking to build a rocket. I just want something to learn on (autocrossing and HPDE days) until my Spitfire is done.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
11/2/11 11:28 a.m.

In reply to MG_Bryan:

That was a reasonably common conversion in the UK a little while back but Dolly Sprints are collectible as well these days so you don't see it happening too often anymore.

Plus the 16V head offers further sources of headaches (IIRC the way it's bolted to the block encourages blown headgaskets).

I think you can make the SAAB engine out of the C900 fit as that was based on the same design.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/2/11 11:41 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to MG_Bryan: That was a reasonably common conversion in the UK a little while back but Dolly Sprints are collectible as well these days so you don't see it happening too often anymore. Plus the 16V head offers further sources of headaches (IIRC the way it's bolted to the block encourages blown headgaskets). I *think* you can make the SAAB engine out of the C900 fit as that was based on the same design.

I've read that the SAAB engine was different enough from the original Triumph design as to not be the straightforward swap one might hope for. I think S&S Prep in the UK still offers the 16V conversion, but I didn't check and I couldn't say how it costs. Shipping wouldn't be friendly either.

93EXCivic, If you're interested in paging through, this book should be relevant to your interests - http://books.google.com/books?id=tZGPJbWSVfMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=How+to+Improve+Triumph+TR7,+TR7-V8,+TR8++By+Roger+Williams&hl=en&ei=eHGxToPUFqny0gH5htSbAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=How%20to%20Improve%20Triumph%20TR7%2C%20TR7-V8%2C%20TR8%20%20By%20Roger%20Williams&f=false

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/2/11 11:59 a.m.

I have also seen that some Saab distributors (aka Bosch) fit. Any clue what models these are on?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/2/11 12:06 p.m.

My buddy has 2. Grand national motors fit great in one.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/2/11 1:10 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I have also seen that some Saab distributors (aka Bosch) fit. Any clue what models these are on?

I'm pretty confident that there is some parts interchangeability with the Saab 99.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/3/11 7:31 a.m.
ThePhranc wrote: My buddy has 2. Grand national motors fit great in one.

Yes they do. And that makes for even more fun!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/9/11 12:02 p.m.

Where should I check for rust on one? I am going to look at one this afternoon.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/9/11 2:20 p.m.

Everywhere...

Seriously, the bottom 5 to 6 inches of the car will completely rot away. Rockers, front fenders, fender well lips, inner rockers, the bottom half of the door...etc.

just look...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/9/11 4:38 p.m.

So the car is fairly rust free and I am really tempted by it. It is a '76.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cum1DcMiaC3X0dJRpCWptYVXfix9VOR7xRx4ko3OPcrdLcVKw4Ae77y14rh2P8uG