1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/26/19 6:26 a.m.

Long story short, I own a truck now. It’s a 2001 F250 Super Cab 6 3/4’ bed. I’ll explain that in a different thread, but for now here’s my issue:

I need a way to store a bunch of tools and camping gear in it. “Easy,” you’re thinking, “just put a truck toolbox on it and call it a day!”

Nope, I’ll have a topper on it most of the time, and I’m not willing to give up any bed length or bed height, since I’ll be carrying my Grom around to events and sleeping in the bed. I also need to keep 6 seats in the cab. That rules out traditional truck boxes, as well as the Decked system that I have in the van (which is amazing, by the way). 

Right now my best idea is a combination of underseat storage and two of these: 

But they seem sort of awkwardly shaped and flimsily made.

So, who’s got an amazing truck storage solution I haven’t thought of?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/26/19 6:30 a.m.

There isn’t one. It’s the same size as my ram, and best i do is tools organized across the back seat floor and milk crates in the bed that are easily tossed into the garage when i go somewhere that requires the full bed. I have a cap as well.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/26/19 6:56 a.m.

Reg cab, shortbed stepside owner. 

No such think as permanently storing tools without a toolbox. I have my ratchet straps, floor jack, jumber cables, and 12v compressor behind the seat. Everything else is generally in a waterproof tote in the bed strapped down under the tonneau cover. Easy to get rid of when all the 4x7 bed is needed.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/26/19 7:27 a.m.

Get a bunch of totes or tool boxes and a ratcheting load bar to keep everything from sliding around.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/26/19 7:35 a.m.

Permanently storing tools in a truck is an invitation to repeated theft insurance claims.

TJL
TJL Reader
6/26/19 7:41 a.m.

Had a coworker with 2 of those flip out storage boxes like you showed, he loved them. 

My crappy back likes that when flipped out they give you very easy access to your junk. 

wae
wae SuperDork
6/26/19 7:48 a.m.
TJL said:

My crappy back likes that when flipped out they give you very easy access to your junk. 

I giggled.

When I had the Emergency Backup Truck, I was having similar heartburn over storage space, or lack thereof,  Like others said, I just used plastic totes and put them in the back under the hard tonneau cover.  What about one of those hitch-mounted storage racks/shelves?  You could probably find a locking deck box or something weatherproof to bolt on to one of those.  You could transfer the box to and from the rack when you needed the space in the bed.  A roof basket over the cab?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/26/19 8:34 a.m.

I'd say your first priority is to figure out what tools you need on a regular basis. Pare it down, become a real minimalist. Don't know what your requirements are, but for instance in a Miata, it was (IIRC) a 10, 14, 17, and maybe 19mm wrenches/sockets and a Philips screwdriver. Anything else was not needed. I also had an adjustable wrench, tape, a Leatherman knockoff and zipties. I figure that would be all I need for just about any situation in a Miata. So, figure out what that is for you for the F250, the Grom, and whatever vehicles you're playing support for. Don't carry around a valve-spring compressor for a Flathead Ford if you're never going to work on one. 

I'd also think that you can probably fab up that tool box in the first post relatively easy. OR, wait! Get a Ridgeline instead! /troll

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/26/19 8:56 a.m.

Do you have your topper yet? If not, could you find one like this with a toolbox integrated? 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/26/19 9:13 a.m.
mtn said:

I'd say your first priority is to figure out what tools you need on a regular basis. Pare it down, become a real minimalist. Don't know what your requirements are, but for instance in a Miata, it was (IIRC) a 10, 14, 17, and maybe 19mm wrenches/sockets and a Philips screwdriver. Anything else was not needed. I also had an adjustable wrench, tape, a Leatherman knockoff and zipties. I figure that would be all I need for just about any situation in a Miata. So, figure out what that is for you for the F250, the Grom, and whatever vehicles you're playing support for. Don't carry around a valve-spring compressor for a Flathead Ford if you're never going to work on one. 

I'd also think that you can probably fab up that tool box in the first post relatively easy. OR, wait! Get a Ridgeline instead! /troll

This. . The ranger has it's own portable toolbox with its own dedicated tool set in it. A full half inch socket set, dedicated pliers and wire strippers/cutters, and 2 multi screw drivers. The factory Jack is completely useless, so if something big happens I need to call AAA anyway.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
6/26/19 9:24 a.m.

For regular cab behind the seat tool storage I have everything in a shooting range bag.  Enough pockets for some organization but not so many you are constantly searching for things.  Just long enough to fit a breaker bar and socket rails.  Another narrower bag for all the ratchet straps and towing stuff. Random bits stashed elsewhere like door pockets.  Don't overlook the jack storage area as a good place to stash things like road flares and different sized hitch balls. 

Tom Suddard
6/26/19 9:28 a.m.
mtn said:

Normally I'd say you're right, but I don't have a normal use case. I regularly need to work on everything in the GRM fleet while on the road, meaning the truck needs to service cars from a 1929 Ford Model A to '60s British stuff to BMWs from the '80s to new cars, etc. 

I'll also be using the truck as chase/support vehicle for our road tours like the Smoky Mountain Tour, and I'd like to be able to just throw a few more tools on top of a very solid base stock (QuickJacks, wider range of spare fluids, advanced electrical tools, etc) versus transferring the entire shop and not knowing where everything is. 

What I'm used to:

My goal is to replicate the storage I have in the drawers–the rest I'm okay with putting in the truck bed when I need it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/26/19 9:31 a.m.

is there a cool under-bed storage thingie that replaces the spare tire?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/26/19 9:38 a.m.

Utility bed. Service body. Hell, i HAVE one. Add a cap and it would fit the bill perfectly 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
6/26/19 9:40 a.m.

Image result for service bed

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/26/19 9:43 a.m.

I have those swing out boxes in my 5.5’ bed, they are great cause they lift OFF of the pins as well. So when I’m strapping a car down I swing one out, lift it off it’s pins and carry it to the trailer rather than going back and forth. One issue with them is that if anything ELSE is in the bed they wont swing out over it.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
6/26/19 9:44 a.m.

Mostly removable. You could probably mount 2 of the medium sized tool boxes to the tailgate without too much drama.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
6/26/19 10:13 a.m.

The original owner of my 88 Silverado built a storage system by boxing in the wheel wells for the length of the bed. A sheet of plywood fits over the top. 

For storage, you can use the side boxes for things like hand tools, tow strap, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, spare fluids, small to medium sized space parts, etc.

I have the overlying plywood cut into two sections so that I can slide the rear section into the front one, and use the full height of the space under the topper.

It's a good design, he traveled and camped out of it. His grandson texted me a few years ago for measurements and photos so he could recreate it.

The truck is home in Florida, I'm in Maine, so pictures will have to wait until the middle of July. I'll try to remember; if this discussion is active at that time I will see it.

This is very similar, though in my truck, the bottom of the bed is still exposed. 

I think that they're also taller and wider than the side boxes in my truck.

Edit: what would make the most sense, if you're interested in seeing it, would be for me to drop by the GRM office. I work in Daytona Beach, and I've always wanted to visit the mothership.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
6/26/19 10:38 a.m.

Some Montezuma truck boxes that can be bolted into place?

I love the organization. 

Yank 'em when you don't need them?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/26/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Are you selling the van?

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/26/19 10:56 a.m.
mtn said:

I'd say your first priority is to figure out what tools you need on a regular basis. Pare it down, become a real minimalist.

So what I'm hearing is that we should have bought an old school bus, cut off the back half for towing cars (leaving a roof on Fiat Jolly style) and used the rest for tow storage? 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/26/19 11:07 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:
mtn said:

Normally I'd say you're right, but I don't have a normal use case. I regularly need to work on everything in the GRM fleet while on the road, meaning the truck needs to service cars from a 1929 Ford Model A to '60s British stuff to BMWs from the '80s to new cars, etc. 

I'll also be using the truck as chase/support vehicle for our road tours like the Smoky Mountain Tour, and I'd like to be able to just throw a few more tools on top of a very solid base stock (QuickJacks, wider range of spare fluids, advanced electrical tools, etc) versus transferring the entire shop and not knowing where everything is. 

What I'm used to:

My goal is to replicate the storage I have in the drawers–the rest I'm okay with putting in the truck bed when I need it.

Why not replicate that?  Just raise the bed floor, put the drawers underneath with some pockets on the wheel wells for smaller items.  You might be able to get more drawers in there or if there is room at the front, perhaps a hinged area for a quasi trunk where you can put your sleeping bag/bed, etc.

Strap the heavier items underneath where the spare tire hangs so you don't have to pick them up as high.

Tom Suddard
6/26/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

It has some editorial commitments to fulfill first, but don't be surprised if it's for sale in the next few weeks/months. 

Interested?

Tom Suddard
6/26/19 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I would, but that would make the height under the topper too short to fit my Grom. And I'm trying not to ditch my awesome $200 topper for a $1000 fancy one that's taller.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/26/19 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Hence why the $200 topper is $200.

Perhaps a home built "half Decked" set-up where on one side you have a long drawer for tools that could also be the sleeping platform, but leaving one side of the bed floor open from Grom transport. 

Honestly, everything you're going through is why I got rid of my pick up trucks for vans. Twice. Since I had forgotten how annoying trucks could be when I bought the second one... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVgYPEVFabUqVzGYLnzZgaKwyWbPRwQDvVUKI9W6IgLXbv70aqTvVuQHPNwZvrvM