1 2
Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/14/17 1:39 p.m.

They're available AWD and with a manual transmission. Honda was really making good stuff back in that era that I'm really partial to. Somehow in my craigslist browsing the other day I came across a few hot rod 1st gen CR-Vs.

GSR swapped 1st gen https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/6051711497.html

Turbo 1st gen

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/6084717544.html

May as well buy one that someone else has already dumped the time and money into as there seem to be a few out there. I'm guessing if you open up your search area you'll find a bunch more. I think a high reving Honda in this lightish and simple body would make a great commuter. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/14/17 1:48 p.m.

While all-wheel-drive, I do not expect to do many burnouts with that transmission. Other than that it sounds pretty fun. A turbo K 20 swap Would be the ultimate sleeper.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/14/17 2:04 p.m.

2nd gen comes with the K24 stock. I assume a TSX head swap would net some more power and higher redline. I think the K series Honda engines are pretty receptive to tuning.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/14/17 2:13 p.m.
MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
4/14/17 4:48 p.m.

100% following this thread. I had the same idea a few weeks ago and it's still brewing.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
4/14/17 4:49 p.m.

1st gen CR-V is really just a civic underneath, so it's basically a tall civic wagon. The AWD ones are cool (still have one as a beater) and do really well in snow and for Home Depot trips. Mine's getting a bit long in the tooth so I've started to contemplate either dumping it or doing this to it:

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
4/14/17 6:14 p.m.

Maybe I should dispose of my spare turbo D16 into a CR-V. I feel like that would make everyone mad, including myself.

daeman
daeman Dork
4/14/17 6:23 p.m.

In reply to penultimeta:

Wait!, So does that mean with some cutting and grafting an awd civic is actually quite a realistic idea? Or an integra for that matter?

The things I learn in this place have me stuck with a list of projects that'll take several lifetimes to complete.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
4/14/17 7:13 p.m.

Certainly possible and has been done, but the general consensus is that it's a lot of work and too much money for something that doesn't really perform much differently from FWD. rtAWD isn't real AWD, really more like a front-rear LSD (if the front's start slipping, the rear engages). Still really useful for snow and mild off-roading.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/14/17 8:02 p.m.
daeman wrote: In reply to penultimeta: Wait!, So does that mean with some cutting and grafting an awd civic is actually quite a realistic idea? Or an integra for that matter? The things I learn in this place have me stuck with a list of projects that'll take several lifetimes to complete.

It's already been done several times over. There is one running a b2k turbo swap with crv awd. And another on YouTube with everything from an Acura TSX or whatever with SHAWD. The days of bashing a newb that asks "can I make my Civic AWD" are over.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
4/14/17 9:14 p.m.

This is a very interesting idea.

In the back of my mind I've had a turbo Rav4 kicking around for rallycross. This may just be one better.

daeman
daeman Dork
4/14/17 9:17 p.m.

I'd never really even given it much thought to be honest. Just hadn't realised that the CRV was civic platform based and therefore an awd integra is more possible than the realm of fantasy.

Its a case of having an integra lying about that had me think about things I don't really need to be thinking about.

Back to the scheduled program regarding turbo crv's

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/14/17 9:26 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: This is a very interesting idea. In the back of my mind I've had a turbo Rav4 kicking around for rallycross. This may just be one better.

Toyota drivelines are generally much stronger than Honda drivelines. All the power ever isn't worth a damn if you can't do anything other than Rev it on jackstands....

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/15/17 3:34 a.m.

On dirt or snow it would work, despite fwd bias, but yes, awd drag launches on asphalt would be hell on everything.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/15/17 6:13 a.m.

I want a TurbElement.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/15/17 7:55 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: On dirt or snow it would work, despite fwd bias, but yes, awd drag launches on asphalt would be hell on everything.

Seen a 91 civic hatch converted to awd at the dragstrip last summer. It didnt break but it did some weird E36 M3 on 4 corner slicks! Sadly it was slower then a pair of fwd cars running the same night. Certainly looked cool.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/15/17 8:04 a.m.

And now you goons have pulled first gen two door RAV4's back to the top of my search list. Damn you all.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/15/17 8:13 a.m.

If I were to have a CRV, it'd be front drive. ATVs have beefier drivetrain than the matchsticks behind the angle drive of a CRV.

And to be honest, I wouldn't do a turbo. You can make lots of grunt with the B20 in there without the thermal issues.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/15/17 8:14 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: And now you goons have pulled first gen two door RAV4's back to the top of my search list. Damn you all.

Want me to tell you about the 3S-GTE drivetrained 2-door RAV4 that rallycrosses in Michigan?

He told me 400hp once, but later he told me they turned the boost down since they never use it all anyway.

To be honest, that thing looks scary, and if it ever hit a loose-dirt rallycross instead of the hardpack "dirt autocross" courses they usually run, it'd probably roll in the first corner.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
4/15/17 9:09 a.m.

That is the exact Rav4 that planted the idea in my head

Knurled wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: And now you goons have pulled first gen two door RAV4's back to the top of my search list. Damn you all.
Want me to tell you about the 3S-GTE drivetrained 2-door RAV4 that rallycrosses in Michigan? He told me 400hp once, but later he told me they turned the boost down since they never use it all anyway. To be honest, that thing looks scary, and if it ever hit a loose-dirt rallycross instead of the hardpack "dirt autocross" courses they usually run, it'd probably roll in the first corner.
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/15/17 12:26 p.m.
dropstep wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: On dirt or snow it would work, despite fwd bias, but yes, awd drag launches on asphalt would be hell on everything.
Seen a 91 civic hatch converted to awd at the dragstrip last summer. It didnt break but it did some weird E36 M3 on 4 corner slicks! Sadly it was slower then a pair of fwd cars running the same night. Certainly looked cool.

I wonder if these guys are able to lock the center diff thingy to force full time 50:50? I imagine the drag launches were something like "front wheels scream for traction and driver tries to correct the torque steer, diff kicks in, rear tires break loose, rear kicks to the side, driver poops himself as the steering wheel is now turned the wrong way, all tires hookup, driver smiles and is glad he didn't wreck at the 60ft"

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/15/17 3:27 p.m.

I believe the 1st gen RAV4 does have a center diff lock, the CRV does not.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/16/17 11:50 a.m.

RAV4 come with a manual trans?

old_
old_ HalfDork
4/16/17 12:10 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: RAV4 come with a manual trans?

Yes

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/16/17 8:32 p.m.
penultimeta wrote: 1st gen CR-V is really just a civic underneath, so it's basically a tall civic wagon. The AWD ones are cool (still have one as a beater) and do really well in snow and for Home Depot trips. Mine's getting a bit long in the tooth so I've started to contemplate either dumping it or doing this to it:

that is awesome

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4BZtGJzHjGAkGHHdKfBYL2sYZN5wbPC0ldPZRf7ZbUlaImwRWfOUCVeqEUEG2UvZ