1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 9:42 a.m.

We have decided that the Javelin will be an autocross machine. A few of the locals are running used track tires (full slicks, Goodyear, Hoosier, and Avon IIRC) on the offbeat cars. I can fit a massive tire under my car so I'm thinking like a used NASCAR 15" tire? I need something gigantic (because massive grip is the only way this beast will turn well) and cheap (because, well, duh).

I can get custom steel wheels (Aero, Summit, Cragar, etc) for pretty cheap, even up into a 15x10.

So where do I get these myhtical tires, how much do they run, and what sizes are going to be best? I have no problem stockpiling a few sets in the garage. Hell, I may even buy a tire machine...

sachilles
sachilles Dork
9/10/12 10:00 a.m.

become friends with a circle tracker. Seriously. Is there an oval near you?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 10:24 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

A very small one. Lots of road courses though. I know one of our local AX's uses Formula Continental(?) tires.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
9/10/12 10:58 a.m.

http://www.jbracingtires.net/

This guys been in business for over 25 years. Has a very good rep with everyone that I know that has bought from him. He always did my friends and I good when we used to AutoX a Capri in E/P using slicks.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 11:01 a.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

Thanks for the link, but man that's a horrible website. They don't actually list any of the sizes in stock or prices, compounds, etc.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
9/10/12 11:04 a.m.

Are you limited to tires that meet "DOT" regs? (lots of clubs around here won't allow Bias ply slicks, only DOT-R tires like Hooser A6 or Khumo V710)

For 15's, get some Diamond racing wheels and go look at "American Racer" tires (there have been a few threads). They seem to be at least 90% of the performance of Hoosiers with only 50% of the price.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
9/10/12 11:05 a.m.

Make friends with the local GASS racers (old guys running NASCAR-style race cars) down at PIR, Kent, the Ridge, etc.

http://www.gasstv.com/

Also the NASCAR West racers come to Portland once a year.

http://hometracks.nascar.com/series/kn_pro_series_west

There's also the local GT1 and Trans-Am teams.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

The rules I'm running under have one rule, that it's not a Porsche. Ideally I'd like to get it into a pseudo-CP trim and run the modern ProTouring races as well. For now some cast-offs of whatever flavor will do.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
9/10/12 11:20 a.m.

Ebay seller USDRRT search inventory in his store: http://stores.ebay.com/Race-Tires-USDRRT?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 or send email with what you're looking for...

Middle/end of the season is always the best time to buy...

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/10/12 11:28 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to jimbbski: Thanks for the link, but man that's a horrible website. They don't actually list any of the sizes in stock or prices, compounds, etc.

It's best to call or email. I think he has such a large, rotating stock......it would be a full-time job for 1+ people to keep it up-to-date.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/10/12 11:30 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to jimbbski: Thanks for the link, but man that's a horrible website. They don't actually list any of the sizes in stock or prices, compounds, etc.

Call 'em. I've ordered from there before. Great prices, good inventory, fast shipping. Will use again.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Raze:

Hmmm... He has quite the selection of 225/45/15 R6's. Plugging that into the tire calculator shows that they would be a little shorter than stock, which since I have a 2.87 gear would be a good thing. I don't know if that's "enough" rubber or grip though.

Anybody run 225 R6's on an ~3260# car in autocross?

If I go wider they might not heat up (in R6 compound), but with the narrowness, will they overheat?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 11:34 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Thanks, I'll call and see what he's got.

bosco
bosco New Reader
9/10/12 11:42 a.m.

Hoosier 3035's that are used on the SCCA GTA stock cars would probably work well for your application. Very sticky, are 27x15x10. New about 600 per set, used 100-200 per set.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/10/12 11:45 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Raze: Hmmm... He has quite the selection of 225/45/15 R6's. Plugging that into the tire calculator shows that they would be a little shorter than stock, which since I have a 2.87 gear would be a good thing. I don't know if that's "enough" rubber or grip though. Anybody run 225 R6's on an ~3260# car in autocross? If I go wider they might not heat up (in R6 compound), but with the narrowness, will they overheat?

You'll be able to heat quite a bit wider than a 225 R6 in the Javelin.

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
9/10/12 11:58 a.m.

I love scrubs!

I usually just pick up used rally tires from teams and they will last quite a few rallyX, and then after that they become decent street tires (compared to bald summers) but after that they are even more worn and they become great drift tires. (they smoke real easy)

reduce REUSE then recycle....

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 12:08 p.m.

In reply to bosco:

Now that's some very good information!

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
9/10/12 1:19 p.m.

I recently bought a set of used Toyo R1s for $100 bucks from a seller here on GRM to autoX my 300zx rallyX car. The Toyos were well worn, but the ZX instantly went from suck to awesome over the BFG Comp T/As I was using. Viva la cheap used racing tires!

Raze
Raze SuperDork
9/10/12 1:32 p.m.

I've learned when it comes to race/autox tires, any race tire is better than a street tire in just about every way, even at the very end of it's life...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/10/12 2:28 p.m.

A 10" slick isn't really all that big. I just bought a full set of American Racers in the M-28 compound (Hoosier A6 soft) for $132 a pop. They're 23.5/10-15, very very short.

Used tires, I ask my old roundy-round racing friends.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
9/10/12 2:48 p.m.

Isn't there (or didn;'t there used to be) an operation in the upper Midwest that specialized in used race tires? It has been several years since I bought from him, so I honestly don't know.

This time of the year, right after the SCCA Runoffs there always was a huge glut of used race tires available through him. And used autocross tires were plentiful the week following every event on the National tour.

It was always nice to get a set of Hoosiers that somebody had only used for qualifying and then replaced with fresh rubber. I got several sets with almost full tread depth by just making the phone call to him.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 3:43 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

A 23.5/10/15 would be ideal for me. The shortest I've found so far is a 25/10/15 which would be okay.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/10/12 3:51 p.m.

I think they're front tires for some kind of Mod.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
9/10/12 4:37 p.m.

New roundy-round tires: http://www.americanraceronline.com/Asphalt-Track/modified.html

If they cost 2x as much as a used tire, but last 2x longer...well you get the idea.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/10/12 4:40 p.m.

Aaaaaand that's that! Thanks fellas, but I just got a set of 17's for free, so now it's time to find 3" adapters.

Anybody ever see FR500's on a Javelin before?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yXHsSVUnLZqOI1rVPpKyHjk9oTgyicUXvCH9YtjAHw1o1hEWNfVV8DHBXspPVxVE