1 2
wake74
wake74 Reader
7/27/21 2:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to wake74 :

No, mainly with SVRA, VSCDA, HSR, VSCCA,  VSCRI,etc. I prefer to race at Elkhart Lake. But have raced events all over. 

Well that's certainly an alphabet soup :-)  A quick scans shows that the new ones (that I hadn't listed above) run at distant tracks from the SouthEast. Perfect in retirement to "make a trip out of it", tough to squeeze in around work.

wake74
wake74 Reader
7/27/21 2:20 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

For the cars on his list the costs will be very low. A good running motorcyle engine can be had for $1000. Rebuilding an old Sports Renault engine is going to entail gaskets and bearings. 

Tire costs could be lowered by simply buying used tires or just running them longer. I run 3 weekends on a set of slicks for the F500 as vintage is more laid back I find no need to put a fresh set on every weekend.

Yes, that's my thought as well.  I fully understand that there is a massive cost delta between a 90% built race engine and a 100% built race engine, and the cost to run "at the tip of the spear" so to speak can be large.  But thankfully, my driving is too slow and conservative to need that last 10% :-)

wake74
wake74 Reader
7/27/21 2:21 p.m.

Well, my E36 track rat went to the NorthEast this morning to a happy new owner, who will enjoy her, and drive her harder than I ever did.  His first comment after looking at the car and my shop "You have to have an engineering background" :-)

As all car guys know, there is nothing worse than an empty bay in the garage..........

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/27/21 4:17 p.m.
wake74 said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to wake74 :

No, mainly with SVRA, VSCDA, HSR, VSCCA,  VSCRI,etc. I prefer to race at Elkhart Lake. But have raced events all over. 

Well that's certainly an alphabet soup :-)  A quick scans shows that the new ones (that I hadn't listed above) run at distant tracks from the SouthEast. Perfect in retirement to "make a trip out of it", tough to squeeze in around work.

What I tried to do is race locally most of the time but try to make one big race a year.  The Bahama's I went to twice because while I had fun there I was assembling the car along the way. In fact I really didn't have it running until it was loaded on the ship and while everyone enjoyed things topside I was down in the hold finishing up.  
     Arrival at the pits ( just a couple of miles) had a long list of things to check and correct  which was first done just before the autocross.  Having missed 4 days of practice.
 2 years later was my glory year in the Bahama's and shortly after that the guy who was putting the event on skipped with the money and killed it. 
   From Atlanta to San Diego  I'd take my two week vacation and run. Life was good. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
7/27/21 9:22 p.m.

In reply to wake74 :

I can't wait to see what you fill it with.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lo72WdvGDYT2mzq3OscxGYX1CGsbeCl2qMDQ24RIpV3vwEeJtyWWRv3gnDFPUGDO