wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
9/14/22 7:01 p.m.

I've got a "97 M edition Miata, and I'm trying with all my might to keep it stock. After a long hunt, I found a set of stock wheels, and they're pretty rough (they were also pretty cheap-no complaints).

Here's the worst one:

and some more detail shots:

I'm thinking I'll flake off the loose stuff, clean and polish both the aluminum underneath, and what chrome is left. The car has plenty of bumps and bruises, not to mention closing in on 300K miles, so perfect is neither desired, nor an option. Think of it as a well used Les Paul. I want to preserve what I've got, leave it (them, wheels, in this instance) unrestored, and accept the wear. I do want it to look as good as I can reasonably expect, but realize "factory" isn't in the cards.

I've brought motorcycle forks back with fine steel wool. Also, I seem to recall rubbing with a wad of aluminum foil. Rouge is another solid option. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/22 7:42 p.m.

Tim can teach you a little something about old chrome:

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/14/22 10:19 p.m.

I recently watched a few videos (Tim's linked above included) on rust removal for chrome and I tried a few things on an old Schwinn bike I picked up this summer. They all seemed to work similarly for me, but I found coke and tinfoil to be "best".

What is happening though is it removes the stuff that has oxidized on top of the chrome. Any places the oxidation has worked through the chrome aren't coming back easily.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
9/15/22 6:22 a.m.

Thanks, guys, food for thought. 

They may get media blasted and painted. I'll try cleaning them up, and see what I get.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/15/22 8:05 a.m.

Chromed aluminum wheels are the devils work.  

I wonder whether there is a home based process to dechrome stuff without compromising the aluminum? If guy could completely remove the chrome surface, you are left with a corroded aluminum wheel, which would be easier to deal with.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/15/22 11:02 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Chromed aluminum wheels are the devils work.  

Agree!  I got chromed alloy on one of my modern sports cars when I bought it new.  I immediately sourced some polished alloy and sold the chromed ones.

The only car I have chromed wheels on is a vintage one with wire wheels.  The only one I still have on chromed is one with wire wheels and I replaced the stock ones with Daytons, which use stainless steel spokes and 4 layer nickel chromed rims. They seem to stand up much better than stock chrome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eaPVpWnsrwA0rgpFROxdOxNyd2FDcHbfZcl5ly417m3r3D2Oe6Yf0Jf8Q70p72vy