Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/17/13 7:00 p.m.

I just bought 8 OEM MR2 wheels with tires. I do not want the tires. My friend has a manual tire machine that I'm hoping can dismount these things without damaging the wheels too much.

What is the best/cheapest/easiest way to dispose of the tires? One has pretty good tread and might stick around for a spare. The others are questionable and since I just picked up I'm not even sure they all hold air. Even though I cut my long hair I'm kind of a hippie and won't just chuck them off a bridge.

(14" if anyone needs generic tires)

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/17/13 7:08 p.m.

I saw that thread on mr2oc...nice score.I was just going through the pics matching up my list.

Check with some local tire shops, or your county. We have a once a year "hazardous material" pick up here in Delaware.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/17/13 7:10 p.m.

Lately, I've been paying the $6 fee at the local transfer station, one tire at a time. That gains me access to the hill. The tire pile and scrap metal piles are in the same area, so I can do a little shopping while I'm there. I usually come home with a bicycle that I fix up and donate. This morning, I found two catalytic converters. That covered the fee for two tires.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/17/13 7:25 p.m.

Hmm, last time I needed to get rid of some the trash collectors took them. That was less than a year ago.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
9/17/13 7:36 p.m.

Check to see if your city has free tire disposal. Some up here do.

Other than that, ask a tire shop. We pay $.50-1.50 per tire to have them taken away.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/17/13 7:52 p.m.

put them out by the curb with a sign that says good used tires: $5 each"... i guarantee they will disappear over night, and who knows, someone might even pay you for them...

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/17/13 7:58 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Oddly enough, "Free" doesn't work as well. My friend had some 15x10 crappy wheels from a jeep he scrapped with E36 M3 tires. They sat out in his front yard for 3 weeks with a "free" sign above them......he changed it to $20 and they were gone in a day.......with $20 tucked into the sign.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/17/13 8:06 p.m.

When I lived in Northern KY I probably could have done the curb thing. I could put anything out there, gone by night fall. One time I carried out some old shelves, before I could even turn around and go back in the house someone in a crappy truck was slowing down and giving them a look up and down.

Another time I put out a non-working dryer, and someone in another crappy truck (I did mention KY right?) already FULL of crap stopped and asked if he could have it. I said if you can make it fit, it's yours. He rearranged and piled crap till he made room for it.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/17/13 8:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Check to see if your city has free tire disposal. Some up here do.

Well, the power of Google compelled me:

http://www.mcohio.org/services/swd/transfer_stations.html

"Tires: Montgomery County residents may dispose of 10 passenger car/truck tires per year at no charge. **Proof of residency is required."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WvMwa6eDReqwFggNQvsWmd3K5eeLITw6x5rgkzCk2DdFphjmCCD16dXabZ0QAvsG