1 2
jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
11/6/19 1:43 p.m.

Doesn't JG currently own a V-6-swapped MR2?

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/6/19 1:45 p.m.

Why not just k swap it like all the other fast mr2's? It seems a k20 swap is just as easy if not easier than the other options mentioned. The main expense will be axles.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/6/19 1:45 p.m.
jstein77 said:

Doesn't JG currently own a V-6-swapped MR2?

Think it's a 1mz

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/6/19 1:47 p.m.

... and if it is just the transmission you are suggesting, perhaps you missed the part where I said I was ok with an auto. 

Seems like there should be plenty of powerful engines out there attached to automatic transmissions in the luxury lines (and maybe the truck lines) of both Toyota and Lexus. 

Assume zero period correctness. The only thing the AW11 is to me is a mid-engine chassis with nimble handling at the right price.  

Thanks!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/6/19 1:57 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Why not just k swap it like all the other fast mr2's? It seems a k20 swap is just as easy if not easier than the other options mentioned. The main expense will be axles.

That’s a very good suggestion. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
11/6/19 2:01 p.m.

K swap is motor+trans plus harness from donor vehicle, a Hondata is recommended. Mounts are available and could be made fairly simply. The axles are available as well.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/6/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

It’s not quite the power level I wanted, but the K20 is a known quantity, and something I would like to play with. The weight savings with the K20  added to the nimble handling, should be an acceptable trade off for the power. 

Any links for K20 swap info?  Any good K20 donors?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/6/19 2:43 p.m.
SVreX said:

Ok, you’ve got my attention. I’m listening. 

I appreciate your knowledge and input. As I previously noted, I am a Toyota virgin. 

Help me understand. It sounds like you are saying the transmission alone is so integral to this project that I should buy that car just for that.  That’s possible.

But at a glance, all I’m seeing is a car with way less than half my power goals, 1000 miles from where I live, with no indication of a turbo, etc  I’m not doubting you at all, I’d just like a little education  

Thanks!

Ah E36 M3, my bad. I posted that because if you *really* wanted to make something that trans would be... well, not necessary but very beneficial. Don't know why someone posted a car over a 1,000 miles away from you.

Auto transmissions for AW11s are out there and are extremely cheap- but they are also an unknown, as nobody wants them thanks to us members of the 3 pedal mafia. I have however seen clean, running auto AW11s go for $500 so they could be an excellent option.

A K20 swap is VERY doable and kits are available as well. They're meant for the E153 and S54 manual transmissions for the SW20- the latter, the S54, was the standard 5-speed transaxle for Toyota from 1990s to the very early 2000s and are literally in everything from Camrys to Tercel/Paseo's to Celicas. The S54 is also a drop-in for the NA AW11 MR2, even using the stock axels and speedo cable- so if you want better gearing than the stock C52, you can check around and get one for pennies.

The S54 can handle more power than the C52, but not too much more. You can totally connect a 2GR-FE to one- the Youtube channel Throtl just did on their MR2- but you gotta be a little gentle with it since the 2GR makes 3 times the horsepower and torque than it ever came with.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/19 7:33 a.m.

I'm bumping this.  I like the K-swap idea, but I am not ready to commit.  The 6 cyl would be much easier, and hit my power goals.

Anyone seen any good GR donors in the Southeast?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
11/16/19 10:51 a.m.

I'll ask on some of my Facebook MR2 groups. There's a few.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
11/16/19 12:48 p.m.

A k swap is the way to go.  I am actually looking for a cheap 3rd gen to build with one.

The 3rd gen with a k swap weighs around 2100 lbs.  It's pretty simple to make 220 whp out of a bolt on k20 with hondata and a set of cams.

In a car that light with the traction of a mid engine car you are looking at a mid 12 in the quarter.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/k24-mr2-spyder-drag-radial-12-4%40109-3231948/

Find a crashed TSX, rsx or civic si, jerk out the motor and sell off what you can to recoupe your investment.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/19 1:08 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Let me know if you come across any suitable donor cars. (I know you are always looking!)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hmijXDG458BwqevUnhgUGmuGnGhjX6hQz9e7mFAkBczpDXivSvM8NX2jNvUf7rLn