1 2
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/10/21 9:07 a.m.

I know it's not a CAM-T car but you already own an amazing auto-x car.  Just use your boxster...

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
1/10/21 9:42 a.m.

Later year LT1's use TTY head bolts - make sure you use new ones if you remove the heads.   While not a very active forum nowadays, there is a ton of historical/good technical information to be found at CamaroZ28.Com Message Board.   Another good resource for manuals etc. is  4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids (shbox.com).

Have fun!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/10/21 10:04 a.m.
docwyte said:

I know it's not a CAM-T car but you already own an amazing auto-x car.  Just use your boxster...

I agree but for HPDE use, I'm not real keen on popping an M96 engine.  I can have an LT1 rebuild 5 times for the cost of one M96 rebuild.  

1/10/21 10:05 a.m.
pontiacstogo said:

Later year LT1's use TTY head bolts - make sure you use new ones if you remove the heads.   While not a very active forum nowadays, there is a ton of historical/good technical information to be found at CamaroZ28.Com Message Board.   Another good resource for manuals etc. is  4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids (shbox.com).

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips and links!  I'm sure I will use them.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
1/10/21 10:35 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

Corvettes need a pretty good sized site to safely autocross.  For example.  I have also seen someone hit a spectator (and nearly a row of parked cars) by doing basically the same thing too.

Excuse me, what? Hit a spectator?! What kind of course setup was this?

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/10/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

It was at an airport which is too small to really set up a safe course, but is one of the last two sites available so they use it anyway.  The course was set up with an offset gate before the lights, which made it so people could either slow down and drive through the lights normally, or keep their foot down and go through the lights spinning and not lose much time.  The guy who got hit was standing between a row of parked cars and the shutdown area, and the corvette did a long 180, slid into the guy sideway and sent him flying about 10-15 feet (he was fine) and was about two car lengths from sliding sideways into a row of parked cars.  The announcer yelled over the PA system for nobody to take pictures, the safety stewards looked at the situation and decided everything was in order, and the event continued with no changes while I watched the same thing nearly happen again several more times.  

1/10/21 3:51 p.m.

Turns out I will be the 3rd owner and all the paperwork looks good.

Here are the SLP options for the curious.  This car got every one since the oil cooler option came after this car was built.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
1/10/21 8:26 p.m.

That's a very good start. See if the water pump and coolant service help with the temp issues, try another temp sensor and maybe see if it's just the gauge that's wonky. A new water pump is a good idea anyway to keep the Optispark alive.

1/10/21 10:15 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

That's a very good start. See if the water pump and coolant service help with the temp issues, try another temp sensor and maybe see if it's just the gauge that's wonky. A new water pump is a good idea anyway to keep the Optispark alive.

The gauge was erratic so it could be the sender or water flow.  I saw no sign of milkshake.  I will probably pull the plugs and check the bored.  The coolant return hose was hot but the supply hose was much cooler.  A coolant system service may fix this thing.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
ALE2C9M6cz2BwZbLVBok34VWQc38c2aDs4m9L8vMwZRqtJGr4cGpqytoBQgGXORS