1 2 3
pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/20/15 9:46 p.m.

As many of you know I sell cars on the side for extra money. I figured it was about time I did a little build thread documenting the process.

Given the several threads floating around the forum and the recent magazine article discussing salvage auctions I figured this was as good a time as any, so here it goes.

Here is the 2003 Nissan 350Z that I bought this morning. It is a touring model which means leather seats etc and a VLSD. This particular car no longer has the original wheels but is instead equipped with a set of 19 Inch Ruff Racing wheels.

Those were the cars good side pictures....

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/20/15 9:48 p.m.

Not so good side

It obviously needs a hood and a headlight...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
7/20/15 9:52 p.m.

theres got to be more wrong with it, thats easily drivable!

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
7/20/15 10:03 p.m.

I have been spending a lot of time on Copart and lost out on my first auction this morning. It was exciting watching the live auction, some stuff went really cheap.

I'm thinking of trying this flip thing myself and am looking forward to hearing how it works out for you!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/20/15 10:03 p.m.

Clean title?
Do you mind sharing the numbers with us?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
7/20/15 10:52 p.m.

OK here are the numbers.

$2100.00 purchase price $325.00 Buyer fee $30.00 Gate fee $69.00 Internet Buy fee

Total check to Copart $2524.00

I was trying to get it for under challenge money but no such luck.

It will have a rebuilt title due to the damage in the pictures.

My goal at this point is to fix it and try to sell it for $4950.00, maybe $5500 depending on how it turns out.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/20/15 11:09 p.m.

I had it towed from one of the local Copart yards (We have two in Jacksonville) to my friend's body shop. That cost me $45.00. I could have used my trailer but that would have taken at least 3 hours of my time when it was all said an done, not to mention it was almost 100 degrees today.

I also bought a hood off of craigslist this afternoon for $150.00. I will take some pictures of it tomorrow when I pick it up.

Total: $2524+$45+$150= $2719

glueguy
glueguy HalfDork
7/20/15 11:13 p.m.

Watching with much interest

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/20/15 11:43 p.m.

Interior isn't to bad. I will need to fix two panels, one on each seat.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
7/20/15 11:47 p.m.

One common issue I've learned from hanging around these is to check the subwoofer amp, it may need the solder reflowed, and / or the relay replaced.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/21/15 12:25 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: One common issue I've learned from hanging around these is to check the subwoofer amp, it may need the solder reflowed, and / or the relay replaced.

I will check all the ancillary items tomorrow. Today I just made sure it ran and the clutch / brakes etc worked while i was in the Copart yard.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
7/21/15 4:38 a.m.

Is it same to assume you'll be taking us all the way to the end and keeping us informed with the numbers, like the Wheeler Dealer guy?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/21/15 6:12 a.m.
gjz30075 wrote: Is it same to assume you'll be taking us all the way to the end and keeping us informed with the numbers, like the Wheeler Dealer guy?

Man I hope so.
And to PimpM3: thanks for sharing, amd I hope your successful

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
7/21/15 6:49 a.m.

Watching with great interest. There was recently a Hyundai Veloster turbo at the Philly copart with vandalism damage, it looked like an easy fix. I was very tempted to bid. IIRC, in the last day of bidding it went up over $8k. Much to much for poor me.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/21/15 7:55 a.m.

Cool project! I'll be watching this with interest.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
7/21/15 8:03 a.m.

I am very interested to see how this comes out. Thanks for sharing.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/21/15 8:13 a.m.

Very timely. I have interest in an auction car that I just discovered goes to auction on Monday, Aug 3rd.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
gjz30075 wrote: Is it same to assume you'll be taking us all the way to the end and keeping us informed with the numbers, like the Wheeler Dealer guy?

That's the plan.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork

I am watching with interest. Did the hood come already painted in the correct color?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
7/21/15 8:43 a.m.

How did you know the car ran and worked first? Or is it just a big ass gamble?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/21/15 9:25 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: How did you know the car ran and worked first? Or is it just a big ass gamble?

The auction listed it as runs and drives, and it was from state farm who has no incentive to mislead me.

...that and it was a big ass gamble.

Hood is black unfortunately, but I will need to paint bumper as well due to a easily repaired crack.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd Reader
7/21/15 10:07 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote:
That's the plan.

Hope you can make more than they do....always pains to see them go thru a car-hours and hours of labor-for a "couple hundred quid"

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/21/15 11:00 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Watching with great interest. There was recently a Hyundai Veloster turbo at the Philly copart with vandalism damage, it looked like an easy fix. I was very tempted to bid. IIRC, in the last day of bidding it went up over $8k. Much to much for poor me.

Hey, maybe we can pool our money and still not afford it!!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
7/21/15 11:03 a.m.

This also interests me. I bought a lightly wrecked car from Copart too, but mine doesn't quite have the resale value yours has.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
7/21/15 1:10 p.m.
vdubinsd wrote:
pimpm3 wrote:
That's the plan.
Hope you can make more than they do....always pains to see them go thru a car-hours and hours of labor-for a "couple hundred quid"

I hope to make at least a grand, we shall see.

I have been doing this for along time and it is still hard to not fix everything perfectly, which you can't do if you want to profit off of the whole endeavour.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1OnN9CG5gAtv8nSCL4LoeGteVAgCSsPPPcxkm8EdVsYYljwltEH5hSD7ca7Vg4U6