1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/13/20 12:54 p.m.

As a potential rallycross vehicle, a local guy has one in 01 4.3 auto extended cab form. so lsd and zq8 package.  Its basically a GM G body right? so circle track parts?

looks like this, i dont think it was the step side bed 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/13/20 12:57 p.m.

For rallycross I'd be looking for a s10 zr2 instead. Or even a regular s10 either way you will have better ground clearance etc.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/13/20 1:04 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

For rallycross I'd be looking for a s10 zr2 instead. Or even a regular s10 either way you will have better ground clearance etc.

cant be worse than the miatas that run locally

You'd more than likely eff up the bodywork, but it's your money, so knock your socks off. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/13/20 1:33 p.m.

i mean its mostly for the packages and lsd.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/13/20 1:37 p.m.

also not that concerend about the bodywork

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/13/20 1:38 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Its basically a GM G body right? so circle track parts?

Not really but a lot of front end parts are the same, though being a GM, the interchange options are almost endless.

My son has one with a 4.3 and 5spd manual

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/13/20 2:02 p.m.

Take off the body kit and set it aside. Or sell it and let the profit offset the cost of purchase.

I've always thought the Xtreme body kit was one of the best looking factory kits yet made. I can't be the only one.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/13/20 3:32 p.m.

That's a lot of wheelbase to try and get around any sharp corners.  The rear end would need a good locker.

berettaman
berettaman New Reader
6/13/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Was there a Blazer with the same bodywork? 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/13/20 6:57 p.m.
berettaman said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Was there a Blazer with the same bodywork? 

yes xtreme package came on them as well

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/14/20 7:42 a.m.

Back in the day there was an S10 SS that was the same as the Extreme, but arguably better looking wheels and no body kit.  Could also be had as a short cab so a little less wheelbase.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/14/20 8:01 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

Oh dear god why?  Stock 2wd S10s are too high as it is, why would you want to make it worse?

I'd prefer a 2wd Blazer if that was the route desired.  Shorter wheelbase, more rear weight.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/14/20 8:16 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

Oh dear god why?  Stock 2wd S10s are too high as it is, why would you want to make it worse?

I'd prefer a 2wd Blazer if that was the route desired.  Shorter wheelbase, more rear weight.

im not sure if he has come recently but there is a guy at the local region with a truckified blazer 2 door, that has an ls and runs in MA.

BTW i live in a place where 2wd trucks and blazers are hard to find

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/14/20 8:19 a.m.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/20 8:13 p.m.

I personally prefer the Sonoma ZQ8.  Same truck but without the 80s plastic ground effects.  They were a little more rare so you might have trouble finding one.

I found it to be quite fun in the twisties.  It got the tighter steering box too.  Lots of fun.  I had one and I miss it.  For a true Rally, they lack both the clearance and the suspension travel, but for rallycross I think they'd be great for a 2wd.

This was mine so you can see what they look like without the body skirts.  (trying a new way of hosting pics... let me know if you can see it)

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/14/20 8:20 p.m.

Pic show up fine for me, Curtis.  That is a nice looking truck!

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
6/14/20 9:01 p.m.

Nice looking truck, Curtis.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/20 5:52 p.m.

I miss it, but I don't miss the 2wd :)

shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
6/16/20 12:16 p.m.

I almost forgot these existed... When I was in high school from 2001-2005, there was probably at least one of every "Xtreme" combo (S10/Blazer/2.2/4.3/Auto/5spd/various cabs and beds etc.) on the student lot. Which always seemed kind of perplexing to me considering it was in suburban Detroit, where a light RWD pickup isn't exactly ideal for anyone in the winter, let alone a high school student. Although that probably partly explains why I haven't seen one in the wild for years... I also recall that a lot of them ended up being subjected to further "Xtreming" with things like spray painted easily removed plastic interior pieces, sound and lighting modifications, and even more radical body kits than what GM outfitted from the factory.

I also agree with Curtis, a non-Xtreme ZQ8 S10 or Sonoma was a much more attractive truck. Probably a lot cheaper too. IIRC, at some point the Xtreme package added something like $3000-3500 to the price of an S10 or Blazer.

I've always thought it was unfortunate GM didn't offer a more performance oriented S-chassis option with the ZQ8 suspension and either a 4.8 or 5.3 V8 in standard fleet fare. Would've made for a faster and much more efficient competitor to the Dakota R/T and probably wouldn't have been far behind a 2nd gen SVT Lightning, at least before Ford bumped the power in 2001. Hell, a 4.8 S10 would probably get similar to if not better MPG's than the 4.3... 

Of course, I could always build my own... 4.8/5.3 2 door Blazer with ZQ8 suspension on set of 96-99 Camaro SS wheels... :checks Facebook Marketplace:

calteg
calteg Dork
6/16/20 12:39 p.m.

The most Xtreme part of these trucks was the attitude of the owners

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/16/20 1:04 p.m.
calteg said:

The most Xtreme part of these trucks was the attitude of the owners

A number of years back, I had a kid down the street a couple of houses that was firmly entrenched in the questionably customized mini truck scene, and displayed what my other neighbor called “the small truck culture”.  I still laugh to myself about some of the mods that dude did, but hey ... at least he was into working on vehicles in his spare time!

mgfoster
mgfoster New Reader
6/16/20 1:08 p.m.
shelbyz said:

Of course, I could always build my own... 4.8/5.3 2 door Blazer with ZQ8 suspension on set of 96-99 Camaro SS wheels... :checks Facebook Marketplace:

A bit of a wet dream for me if you add a T56 to the mix. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/16/20 1:21 p.m.

If I were going to rallycross one of those, I'd probably hop on tire rack and get some Grabber AT2s or similar for the stock wheels, stick some fresh KYB or whatever other cheap shock on that same order, and go party.  It'll never be competitive, but will probably be very fun.

Technique wise, I'd put the lever in "2" and prepare to do a great deal of countersteering.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
6/16/20 2:16 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If I were going to rallycross one of those, I'd probably hop on tire rack and get some Grabber AT2s or similar for the stock wheels, stick some fresh KYB or whatever other cheap shock on that same order, and go party.  It'll never be competitive, but will probably be very fun.

Technique wise, I'd put the lever in "2" and prepare to do a great deal of countersteering.

you dont think a set of Interco Super Swamper Radial TSL/SSR in 27x9.5r15 would be better? cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ECZuJd8hQRIqGwu4PrAApwd84dY6GZVjZINqOnw7Ll1CrUuzdL0rSdetmqaBsqmJ