Mike
Mike SuperDork
12/4/19 2:05 p.m.

I don't think I have a motive, just wanted to start a conversation about this thing.

Zenos came out with the E10 a few years ago. A few ex Lotus people got together and built a car. More track focused than the Lotus Exige and Elise twins, more minimal too, but very much in the same mold.

A central aluminum frame holds the car together, and the body panels are meant to be small, inexpensive and easy to replace, unlike Elige clamshells. 

They made it on to The Grand Tour where it seemed to destroy an Alfa 4C in a drag race, and then raced it through the Game of Thrones set against a Miata and an Alfa 4C but didn't post a usable time because James May made a wrong term. They made it to Top Gear, where they didn't post a usable time because it was wet. They made it to Fifth Gear, where they were put into an elimination test and got kicked out in the first round.

The press around Zenos near the end of 2016 into early 2017 said things were going well, then that they'd made 100 cars, and then that they were bankrupt.

That might have strange to swing so quickly from health to bankruptcy. What was more strange was how Zenos rebounded.

They were bailed out by a group of investors associated with AC Cars. 

AC Cars has it's own crazy backstory.

But what of the car itself?

It's reportedly more focused than the Elise. It's less practical, lacking doors or climate control beyond a seat heater. The brakes on early cars got poor marks, but from my reading, it looks like there's a chance it's because they're not boosted.

Today, Gator Motorsports sells these in the USA, and they seem to be selling cars starting around $32k, which is Elise territory. 

The powertrain is Focus ST. Gator stocks parts. My understanding is that you can get parts from AC, but the official web and social presence for AC, Zenos UK and Zenos US all seem stangnant. Most of the car is pretty simple stuff, but body parts and the bespoke two-screen gauge cluster (which has no infotainment) are likely unobtainium.

With an uncertain future, how does the Zenos look to you?

jorcane
jorcane
12/5/19 8:54 p.m.

I see they were offered without a windshield for some reason. Or maybe they're detachable? I think 32k is a fair price, but a bit much to spend on something this impractical. Your 32k was elise territory got me quickly pricing those lol. Ohhh, very used elise prices!

Mike
Mike SuperDork
12/5/19 11:07 p.m.

Yep, as I understand, the windshield is optional and bolts into place. Removing it is supposed to take about thirty minutes.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
12/5/19 11:18 p.m.

quite nice. yes

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/5/19 11:30 p.m.

Looks awesome. "More barebones than an Elise" is pretty rarified territory!!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/5/19 11:43 p.m.

I watched a Driver61 Youtube video this afternoon where someone was driving one on a track day in the UK. That was the first I heard about these, but didn't see much of the car. Interesting car. Do they have any sort of weather protection available? I'm guessing it would just be some sort of top since no doors means no side windows.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
12/5/19 11:48 p.m.
T.J. said:

I watched a Driver61 Youtube video this afternoon where someone was driving one on a track day in the UK. That was the first I heard about these, but didn't see much of the car. Interesting car. Do they have any sort of weather protection available? I'm guessing it would just be some sort of top since no doors means no side windows.

There is weather protection, but it's really basic.

Edit: and this for when you park it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cqPebzu3QK5wH5Q2yxyxNKudtKOKz2BMF3RftvrxTDS1AkIqFsITPe12EUhrVE7H