1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 11:40 a.m.

We've been teased a couple of times with a Ford Transit Connect build that may or may not actually exist, but which keeps disappearing. So let's share some cool Transit and Transit Connect ideas. Mostly the latter.

Personally, I keep going back to the fact that the Transit Connect shares the Global C platform with the previous Ford Focus. Which means a Transit Connect RS may be possible. There's nothing wrong with the TC that 350 hp and AWD with Drift Mode couldn't fix.

These are not TC-RS vans, but I want them to be. Think of them as the rally equivalent of those big monster Dakar support trucks. Now that would be a fun build.

Or maybe you recreate the classic VW Westfalia camper. I was talking to another Westy owner yesterday about how useful they are being normal vehicle size and not a super-tall high roof. The pop top makes all the difference. Is this the modern equivalent? BTW, that's a $25k cargo van with an $8k conversion pop top, making it $33k plus the interior build-out. Given that my '85 Westy cost the equivalent of $46k new, that's pretty interesting.

How would you build yours out? Full SEMA showcar? This is an actual photo, it looks like a rendering, it's weird.

Or maybe you take the full size Transit and go for maximum #vanlife.

Share 'em up. What's your dream Transit or Transit Connect build?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/14/22 11:50 a.m.

Not a Transit, but the same class. I've long considered the pop-top Sprinter 4WD's to be the closest thing to a 'modern Westy Syncro'. While closer in actual size, even with the prospect of AWD from the FoRS I'm not sure you could get a TC appropriately lifted to be useful off-road, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/14/22 11:51 a.m.

Are the transit connects close enough to focus that you could do like a "mazdaspeed5" treatment and ST or RS swap a transit connect?

I think someone needs to try (for science of course).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 11:54 a.m.

The Transit Connect shares the Global C platform with the previous Ford Focus. Which means a Transit Connect RS may be possible. There's nothing wrong with the TC that 350 hp and AWD with Drift Mode couldn't fix.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/14/22 11:55 a.m.

I still want a Transit Connect, the first one we got here.

The wheels aren't my thing, but I would daily the crap out of that

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/14/22 11:56 a.m.

Transit Connect:  I've considered getting a cargo version, and the poptop, and it may still happen in the future.  If so, make mine silver, so I can add porthole windows on the side, and graphics like the old Pinto Cruisin' Wagon.

Full size Transit, make mine a high roof, so I can build it out into an RV.  I'm still surprised not to see Class B RVs based on this.  Seems like everyone is just using the chassis cabs to make class C and "B+" RVs.  If I somehow got rich, I'd send one to Quigley for a 4x4 conversion before converting it into a home away from home.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/14/22 12:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Transit Connect shares the Global C platform with the previous Ford Focus. Which means a Transit Connect RS may be possible. There's nothing wrong with the TC that 350 hp and AWD with Drift Mode couldn't fix.

I obviously missed this the first time through, but thoroughly agree that we should try. Haha.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 12:06 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Not a Transit, but the same class. I've long considered the pop-top Sprinter 4WD's to be the closest thing to a 'modern Westy Syncro'. While closer in actual size, even with the prospect of AWD from the FoRS I'm not sure you could get a TC appropriately lifted to be useful off-road, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Sprinters are considerably larger than VW buses, large enough that they get unwieldy where normal cars go. The smallest variant is 4.5' longer than a Vanagon and over two feet taller than the non-pop top VW (I used the slicktop assuming that both would grow by the same amount with the addition of the pop top). The longest version is over 9' longer. 

They certainly fit the description of "offroad van" but it's a different size class. The VW is the original minivan with all the daily attributes those bring to the party. The Connect is a much better comparison in terms of being closer to a normal passenger vehicle in size.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/14/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

No argument here. You can have either the size of the Westy or the capabilities of the Syncro... But not both. But much like the more similarly sized Transit, the SWB standard roof Sprinter is still less unweildy than most pickups of the same era.

Remember too that the only way to get the same interior capacity of an old VW bus today inherently requires a noticeably larger exterior anyway.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/14/22 12:21 p.m.

I'd probably call the Vandoit people and get one of their setups with the Quigley conversion. 

They are a modular platform and capable of hauling people, camping, or even hauling cargo. 

VanDOit LIV: New Modular Van Upfit Can Carry 8 Adventurers | GearJunkie

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/14/22 12:35 p.m.

Spotted in the paddock @ Gingerman. I has van envy.

nocones
nocones UberDork
3/14/22 12:36 p.m.

Does the Escape share the platform?  As much as 350hp AWD drift van sounds fun, a 231hp Ecoboost AWD one based on a generic escape seems like a nice useful vehicle.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/14/22 12:38 p.m.

I have dirty thoughts about a transit connect vanlife build now and then.  They are very tight on space, but I think I could make it work for short trips, especially those where I intend to be outside pretty much all of the time I'm not sleeping anyway.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Yup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Global_C-car_Platform

According to a journalist friend, the V6 Ecoboost Transit is a bit of a rocketship.

I was all into the crazy TC builds when I had my 2015 Transit Connect. Some dude on the TC forums did make a Transit Connect ST as he had the entire Focus ST drivetrain swapped in. He sourced the manual transmission pedals and shifter from Europe, where manuals were common.

They are good vans but the 6F35 transmission does not tolerate low fluid levels. The driver's side axle shaft seal is known to leak and since Ford did not include a dipstick on the 6F35, its very easy to not catch a low fluid condition. That's what took mine out. It didn't help that I bought it from a shady auto repair shop that did not maintain it. And it had a ton of miles for the year.

They drive like a tall Focus wagon because thats basically what they are. I had the 2.5L Duratec version. It was also available with the 1.6L Ecoboost for a few years.

If I were to do it again, I'd seek out an XLT or higher Wagon (passenger version) with low miles and a documented maintenance history. 

(not mine but I liked the wheels and stance)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/14/22 12:45 p.m.

Love those wheels.

What's the cool setup for a custom build, a windowless cargo van or a passenger van?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/14/22 12:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to nocones :

Yup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Global_C-car_Platform

According to a journalist friend, the V6 Ecoboost Transit is a bit of a rocketship.

Same platform as the new Maverick, which is also starting to get some aftermarket/customizer attention.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/14/22 6:05 p.m.

I'd love a TC like my old Astro AWD. With the capability to tow my Scirocco on it's trailer. Now hybridize it and I'm in.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/14/22 7:02 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

There's several people & companies doing Class-B builds on the full size Transit van, plus there's companies like Liesure Travel buildin awesome Class-B+ rigs like this. 

They're anything but cheap though...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/14/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

There are quite a few companies that buy partial chassis Transits from us.  Winnebago's Echo is partial chassis Transit that is a class C.

Rons
Rons HalfDork
3/14/22 7:07 p.m.

Is this the droid you seek:

or perhaps this one:

Transit Custom is front wheel drive and this from Ford UK

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
3/14/22 7:26 p.m.

I've been toying with the idea of a Transit Connect ST swap. It's possible, and I've bookmarked the link to a build. 

Nothing brings me more joy than rolling up to a race track in a Transit Connect, pulling out a small tool cart, wheels, awning/tent/popup, lawn chairs, water cooler, generator, TV and stand, and then just gunning the TC at 150MPH down the main straight on said race track.

Of course, you also need a fun livery. The lady friend has been researching starting a home bakery and I think it would be hilarious to have a delivery vehicle on the weekdays, and a race car on the weekends.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/22 8:46 p.m.

TCs have been known to a be a little small for 2-person camping.  Tensions might run high.  

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/15/22 7:35 a.m.

We have some at work, not super pleased with how well they hold up or the fuel economy. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/22 8:29 a.m.

Similar to the plug in above - what I would want is a Transit Connect with a Maverick Hybrid drivetrain in it.  Or maybe they already make this?  Seems ideal for fleet customers *cough* USPS *cough*

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ceULBIYhZ2txIM529SwV0cVcCtbUCuHeTCkvYH3QhURAHtpRpLoFXwLE4IlsAdux