STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/23/22 10:32 a.m.

My brother has owned a 2012 Hyundai Sonata for several years. He had to jump a relatively new battery a couple of weeks ago to resolve a no-start condition, but it had been working fine since then. Today he says that the headlight switch has essentially inverted itself and that the headlights only come on when the switch is in the "off" position. Taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and high beam headlights all function normally.

Any ideas what might be going on here? I'm not able to put hands on the car to check/test things but it piqued my curiosity and I thought I'd get some insight from the best and brightest corner of the automotive internet.

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
11/23/22 10:37 a.m.

Is it possible that you're getting DRLs out of the headlights in the "Off" position and interpreting that as headlights on?

Without wiring diagram, it's pretty tough to troubleshoot. That taillights are working as expected would have me guessing at a relay rather than the switch. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/23/22 1:57 p.m.

I asked about DRLs, and was told that it's the headlights for sure. But who knows. A relay failure could make sense of the sudden onset...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iGejrttsmfM7lsPcSctj39vX6Dmc90vfoEtpn8miOoH7xoEYQ3rxPn5sMxM7abRj