1 2 3 4 5
MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/13/14 3:05 p.m.

We need to scope out spots for the build. Away from the entrance is probably good but that lot is downhill towards the back and we don't want to end up laying in puddles to work under the car.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UltraDork
10/13/14 3:17 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

That was my thought, between that and the further away from the hotel the better. I'm thinking that gravel lot over there off to the south side might be best, but putting up jackstands and being under the car will be miserable on gravel.

On another note, I just got the OK from my buddy with the generator. We can use it, it just hasn't been run since last summer. It hangs out in his garage, so I'm not too horribly worried about it. It's a decent sized one, iirc it has a 220v outlet on it. So we should have power and air wherever we are.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/13/14 3:25 p.m.

They normally toss an extension cord over the wall by the pool for us to use. I used that to do some minor welding last year.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/13/14 3:30 p.m.

How's drainage down there? It's a great spot for getting everyone together.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/13/14 3:37 p.m.

Drainage should be fine in the back. It's pitched so all the water runs to the drains in the middle of the lot. Never had a problem with puddles. Only thing I had to worry about in the past were fire ants.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/13/14 7:00 p.m.

Any list of needed parts available?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/13/14 7:08 p.m.

Right now it sounds like an ignition coil, and different springs. Runswhenchased is the only one who has seen the vehicle in person.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/13/14 11:44 p.m.

Granted I have only seen the car for 1 hour this is what I recall Vacuum leaks, cylinder 3 isn't firing, needs tuned/ may need different sensors wired up to the megasquirt, looks like a 4x4, radiator overflow tank needs securely mounted, trunk? Needs to be able to be pinned in place or can just be taken off for runs. I have no idea if the brakes will work after sitting for so long. Car is ugly and faded. We are going to have $1000 left in the budget after our purchasing the car.

Who want to run it down the drag strip?

I won't be able to get a better look till I pick it up next Monday, currently I am 2400 miles from home. In good news the deer I hit tonight only took the dirt off the front bumper.

tb
tb HalfDork
10/14/14 6:20 a.m.

In reply to WillrunifChased:

Glad to hear you are ok after your close encounter with some wildlife. The first deer I ever took was with a pontiac wagon...

The back lot is fine for wrenching, but the point about fire ants is not to be ignored! Hopefully some new tubing will take care of any vacuum leaks we find. I think we can probably cure a misfire with some bits and pieces thrown at it. If pimp can snag some ignition stuff at the junkyard we should be ahead of the game. If someone can bring a sawzall or grinder and a drill I bet we can take care of the springs and decklid with some carefully applied demolition. A lot can probably be accomplished with zip-ties, rattle cans and duct tape!

Tuning can be done fairly easily but I think we need more sensors. If nothing else a map sensor and air/fuel gauge are pretty much required for precision and safety. If Pseudo can lend a hand at times then he and I can get it close to dialed in pretty quickly once it is running on all cylinders.

Greg: do you have a suggestion for cheap and easy to use sensors? Pimp: if you are going to the yard you can probably find a MAP somewhere?

I can easily make some baseline runs down the strip. I am not the best in the world but not the worst either. I really do not want to take a car I do not own and crank it to "11", but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time...

Sounds like lots of fun

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/14/14 7:45 a.m.

I will bring ant poison when we set up

Spinout007
Spinout007 UltraDork
10/14/14 7:47 a.m.

I've got cans and cans of semi gloss black. I'll bring some.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
10/14/14 8:47 a.m.

Let me see about getting official permission. Not sure if it's possible, so for now you're in "ask forgiveness" mode.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
10/14/14 8:51 a.m.

Okay, here's a blessing from GRM. We haven't talked to the hotel, but they're mostly numb to our shenanigans at this point.

Build in the southwest corner of the parking lot, at the bottom of the hill behind the hotel. There's a street light there so you'll have 24/7 light, it's out of the way, it's fairly close to the action, and there's room for you to sort of circle the wagons and make a build area.

Does that sound good?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/14/14 9:05 a.m.

On the Fire Ants: Toward the back curb of the downhill lot is where they plot to eat all the GRM challenge participants. They have been getting worse every year. If you so much as put your foot there they will try and get you. Bring ant spray!!!

Hopefully you aren't painting anything, otherwise the Love Bugs will come out and have an orgy all over your car. They are attracted to automotive chemical smells.

tb
tb HalfDork
10/14/14 9:09 a.m.

Last year I parked in the handicap spot by the northwest corner and stoop on an anthill for about a minute before I realized a few dozen were attacking me. It sucked.

I immediately pulled off my shoes and socks, scrubbed my legs hard with a stiff brush and soaked them in the hot tub. It helped, a little...

I am not opposed to going after them with starter fluid and a lighter.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/14/14 10:13 a.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: Needs to be able to be pinned in place or can just be taken off for runs.

I have a set of hood pins y'all can have if someone wants to grab them from me on the way down to the Challenge. I am in Huntsville AL.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/14/14 10:44 a.m.

I have a dealer tag, and a get out of jail free card in my pocket, so dialing it in on the street before the event is a doable in a semi legit fashion.

We need to figure out what vintage the engine is so I can score the parts from the junk yard. What vehicle do most people get the Map sensors from for MS?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/14/14 10:46 a.m.

I am bringing my welder and an assortment of a scrap metal. We can fix the trunk no problem.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UltraDork
10/14/14 10:51 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
WillrunifChased wrote: Needs to be able to be pinned in place or can just be taken off for runs.
I have a set of hood pins y'all can have if someone wants to grab them from me on the way down to the Challenge. I am in Huntsville AL.

Feel like shipping them? Shoot me a pm or email @ googles mail service. I'll reimburse you for it. they'll probably fit in a small priority box.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/14/14 10:56 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Feel like shipping them? Shoot me a pm or email @ googles mail service. I'll reimburse you for it. they'll probably fit in a small priority box.

I can. But I figured if someone is ending down past Huntsville it might work to pick them up. Also I have some other parts that need to make it down there.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UltraDork
10/14/14 11:28 a.m.

Hahahahaha

tb
tb HalfDork
10/14/14 11:59 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: What vehicle do most people get the Map sensors from for MS?

It looks like MS uses a gm map sensor that you will never find in the junkyard... BUT v2.2-3.0 had them included and built in. It sure looks like the MAP is present and connected in the picture in the add; the black line behind the connector is in the right place and sure looks like a vacuum line..

I think we lucked out on that one. The PN# 12223861 3bar MAP is the good one; it might even be a better 4bar installed already.

Anyone else see what I see?

tb
tb HalfDork
10/14/14 12:14 p.m.

From what I can tell there should be everything present to run the MS effectively.

We really would need an Air / Fuel wideband to tune it with any degree of precision and/or safety. Lots of people are big on the innovate products but that runs into real money... this does not necessarily need to be wired into the MS but should be unless you want to add another gauge.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
10/14/14 12:40 p.m.

I can't wait to see this unfold. What an adventure!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
10/14/14 1:27 p.m.

Do a quick compression check on #3 to make sure it's good mechanically.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWkJXfLtzfxARYEqJXGE5vqnQRBr7jqIkYDOrWj536nTr9RazjlSU5KwnHnSEHTe