1 2 3
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/20/19 11:54 p.m.
Brake_L8 said:

Per Wikipedia, the CD2 platform is an evolution of the Mazda GF platform that underpinned 626. The trans is from the Contour, Duratec V6 from Taurus, steering wheel from Probe, etc.

The LW platform is front wheel drive with an all wheel drive option in some markets. It is based on the GF platform used in the Mazda Capella.

Seems promising. cheeky 

CJ
CJ Reader
3/24/19 5:05 p.m.

Well, the granddaughter ended up with a new to her SUV today (thanks mom) that is on it's way to her from Sacramento. 

2012 Ford Escape 4X4, 4 cylinder, cloth interior, white, 73K miles.  Got it for $7K.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/24/19 6:22 p.m.

In reply to CJ :

Most of these types of threads go without any kind of conclusion. Glad this one was different. Hope she has many adventures and years of trouble free service out of it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/24/19 6:36 p.m.

I had a '10 Escape as a company car back when it was new. That's the same as the '12 which was the last year of that body. 

I too had the 2.5L 4cyl with 4wd.  The car was a great "all arounder."  I put a lot of hwy miles on that car and it was always comfortable.  When the Escape arrived, it replaced my Volvo 850 wagon and in functionality, it was a good replacement. 

CJ
CJ Reader
3/25/19 3:37 a.m.

Thanks to you all for your input.  I had broadened my search to include several trucks and SUVs suggested here - this one showed up and seemed like a really good deal.  Forgot to mention it has new tires and alignment with less than a thousand miles on them and it also came with two sets of chains (??)

It's body is straight and the underside clean.  There are some spots on the seats I will remove when she comes over.  Will change all of the fluids as long as I'm there and check the brake pads.  Any other thoughts on "gotta do" stuff?

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
3/25/19 12:37 p.m.

Nice pickup! Should be a great vehicle for her.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
3/25/19 6:13 p.m.

Fluid film the hell out of the rear wheel arches from the inside of the trunk if you're in the rust belt.  My 09 escape (first year of that body) has holes larger than my outstretched hand over both rear wheels. Tailgate should be sprayed too, they rot out on the bottom edge fiercely. Ford apparently did not use seam sealer anywhere of importance on this...or many of thier products. ....seriously, look around all the doors. I didn't know about FF or similar and never treated it while I could. It's a total rot box now.   

Mine now has 174000 miles on it but is sidelined with a massive oil leak. Rear main and maybe a plugged pcv pressurizing the crank case. ...which you need to remove the intake to get to. Easy to fix while the engine is out I guess.  Bled out 2.5 quarts in 8 miles. 

Ignitions will eventually fail. Not the switch, but the housing. Causes a no start. 110 dollar part easish fix. 

Rear hatch release motor failed.20 bucks

Swaybar links are junk. 20 bucks

Exhaust hangers rotted off, around 110k, one by one,  then the pipe rotted out, somewhere around 130k miles. 

Front lower control arm bushings will wear out around 120k. $100+ 

Once I fix mine, it's being sold off...sick of the rust. I replaced it. Did not buy another Ford. 

Escapes sure are cheap though. 

CJ
CJ Reader
3/25/19 9:57 p.m.

In reply to TGMF :

She lives in Ashland in southern Oregon.  Occasional snow, but they don't use salt so far as I know.  The SUV spent its life in SoCal, the SF Bay Area, and a year or two commuting occasionally between Reno and Sacramento - also no salt areas. 

Granddaughter is here now and I spent a couple of hours going over it. There is *no* rust.  Not even any significant paint damage.. a couple of stone chips is it.

If I haven't said it before, let me now.  Thank God I don't live in the rust belt

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g9UcKEOVonsudGgZC3WoG5A9zjhvH5L5523QJTBv5dQvxuysGvBRLBuzewAJOm1V