1 2
nitro_alltrac
nitro_alltrac New Reader
9/19/12 8:36 p.m.

I'm looking to get out of my daily driver HHR and into a sport sedan. I've narrowed my list dow pretty much to the IS 300 and the G35 sedan. I'm more familar with the IS since I work for Toyota and I've got an Celica All Trac. I've done a little research on the Infiniti and the only negatives that I've really found are the oil issues in some and the brake wear on the 03-04's.

So what is everyone's opinion on these two? I'm leaning toward manuals in both. I'm finding a few more G35's with manuals but I have come across a couple of manual IS's as well. I kind of like the looks of the IS better but the G35 has more horsepower and is a little bigger.

Any input is appreciated.

Mike

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
9/19/12 8:41 p.m.

IS looks better, but the G is a far superior car, especially in the engine department (in my opinion), and handles as well if not better.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/19/12 9:31 p.m.

Hey Mike, in this comparison, it's really about which one pushes your buttons.

I think the Lexus would look awesome parked next to the Alltrac.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/20/12 9:14 a.m.

Lexus swaps bits with Supras
G35 swaps bits with 350Zs

Ehhh.... That's all I've got.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
9/20/12 9:23 a.m.

I'd go for the IS300. The G35 sedans don't have nearly as many of the performance goodies of the G35 coupes, so you're going to have to swap a lot of stuff over. There are a lot of oil-burning issues with the G35's V6, as well. The blocks weren't cast correctly, and the cylinders are oblong instead of round...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/20/12 9:24 a.m.

VQ is lighter than the 2JZ, otherwise, theyre about equal in my book, but for differing reasons.

I would probably go IS in all honesty...I think the G35 Coupe is far superior looking to the G sedan. I always loved the looks of the IS, despite 4 doors. If you need the utility, and are willing to compromise some handling for the added capacity, Id say the IS is the bet.

Without having driven either of the 2, Id say the G is a better overall performer, IS looks far far better.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/20/12 9:26 a.m.

G35s the early ones have oil burning issues (at various levels but it seems like they all have this) and early ones have some issues with camber and tire wear IIRC.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/20/12 9:26 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

Theres plenty of support for the G sedan...same VQ as the 350z and the G coupe, same underpinnings as well.

And the G is younger. I would put my money on the G over the IS in stock performance (lighter engine, larger displacement), and say theyre a dead heat in aftermarket support.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
9/20/12 9:55 a.m.

I've owned an IS, and I think they're great cars. But...I think the G35 provides more bang for the buck if they have depreciated to a similar price point.

The IS only has 215hp, requires premium and never did better than 18-20mpg for me. One equipped with a manual and LSD is a unicorn.

I'm not a huge fan of Nissan interior design around the time of the early G35. The IS with black Alcantara and leather seats is much nicer in my opinion.

Surprised that the IS300 is still in the 8-12k range.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/20/12 10:01 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: Surprised that the IS300 is still in the 8-12k range.

cuz theyre dead effing sexy, thats why. Easily one of the best looking sedans of the last 20 years.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
9/20/12 10:07 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
cuz theyre dead effing sexy, thats why. Easily one of the best looking sedans of the last 20 years.

Agreed. There was one parked in front of the shop day before yesterday, and I started hunting for manuals on CL. They have held their value well.

wawazat
wawazat New Reader
9/20/12 10:08 a.m.

How tall are you? I tried an IS on for size and had a hard time getting comfortable. I'm 6'3" witha long torso so head room was too tight. We bought an '03 G35 sedan. Brake wear was a problem but oil consumption wasn't an issue with our car. Seat adjusters were on the seat bolster which was kinda odd and I didn't care for the orange-lit gauges. No tire wear issues. Wife's commute-25% surface/75% highway-netted her 22-23 mpg average with a HEAVY foot. While we liked the car a lot, we turned it in as it had a BUNCH of spots where rust was about to blow through at 36 months

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/20/12 10:08 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
Agreed. There was one parked in front of the shop day before yesterday, and I started hunting for manuals on CL. They have held their value well.

More agreed.

I think it's because they're the RIGHT SIZE. Not freakishly proportioned, not too tiny... just right.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/20/12 10:09 a.m.

I really liked my G35, except for the oiling issue stated above (mine was pretty bad), and the tire wear. Other than that, it was a fantastic car.

The IS is a different story. It's pretty bullet proof if it's not driven into the ground, and most of the Supra stuff bolts on. A friend had one of the old World Challenge IS's come through his shop, and it was a rocket! It still wore most of our old Supra TT stuff under the fender wells.

If you ever want to modify, the IS is easier, and it's the easier car to toss around. The G35 feels much larger and is more of a hot rod in comparison. Except for the insane oil usage in mine, the engine is a gem.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/20/12 10:39 a.m.

My dad put 160,000 + miles on his G35 sedan with a manual. It never used any oil. Brake pads were replaced 3 times and the clutch never had to be changed. It was one of his best motorcars. I should have bought it.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/20/12 10:45 a.m.

I was debating between the two also. I ended up finding a clean IS before a G, so I pulled the trigger. I think the IS is a better looking car. The G sedan is rather bland looking IMO. The IS feels lighter and smaller too, which is what I wanted. I also love inline 6's and Toyota build quality. After 2.5 years I still really like my IS.

21mpg is not impressive though

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
9/20/12 10:49 a.m.

I miss the hell out of my IS300, I just wish they got better gas mileage. Low 30's/high 20's and it'd be perfect, low 20's/high teens is unacceptable for a car that size

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
9/20/12 10:52 a.m.

I've heard complaints about the shifter on G35s, but maybe it's an early model issue, I drove my cousin's 2012 G37 and it shifts buttery smooth.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/20/12 10:56 a.m.

I'm a big IS300 fan, so totally biased. I want one. Go for the Altezza. Then do the "non Altezza" tail light swap.

Lof8
Lof8 New Reader
9/20/12 12:47 p.m.

I don't have much to add other than I've always like the semi-boxy shape of the IS. I'd like to drive one someday.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
9/20/12 1:12 p.m.

Yep if the IS300 was smaller and a bit less gas-guzzly I'd be all over one. Still a good car as-is.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
9/20/12 1:22 p.m.

I've debated this same thing myself. Since any sporty "fun" car I get has to have a back seat, both of these cars are on the list.

I'd probably go with a G35, simply because all of the IS300s around this area appear to have been given the donk.

nitro_alltrac
nitro_alltrac New Reader
9/20/12 5:10 p.m.

Thanks for the input folks. I'm kind of leaning toward the IS. I like the looks better and the inline 6 but I have found more manual GS's and I know the VQ engine is a good unit. I've found just two manual IS's here within 200 miles of San Antonio with decent mileage for the age but one is already gone. I figure the GS would get better fuel mileage which has me thinking as I have about a 60 mile round trip commute daily.

It will probably come down to which one I find that I like first. There's a copper colored IS up around Dallas that I love the looks of but the price is a little high for the mileage. I do need to go and "try them both on". I'm around 6'1" with a long torso so the head room in the IS could be an issue.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
9/20/12 5:41 p.m.

I love my IS, have had it since new and I still find it to be a great looker.

Gas mileage I don't love. LSx swap daydreams abound.

Copper color, probably Auburn Sky Pear, 2001 only = Automatic only.

nitro_alltrac
nitro_alltrac New Reader
9/21/12 5:37 a.m.

Thanks for the info on the Auburn Sky Pear. This one was the only one that I've ever seen in that color. Looks really good on the car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QYUHyBfYX13Gjoqg4YCU6HFbAKWmUpraYlFubk73pD5bIxkJlebAtaOKYlLySn9