1 2 3
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
8/30/11 10:49 p.m.

Thread from 2011:

Cannot get this out of my mind. Take a regular car and lift it so it has that off road rally take on anything look. Works on subaru and vw etc... What other newish cars can this work with? The Focus i think would look cool. Anyhow i might head in this direction with the next car i get. Just thought it was cool GRM stuff

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
8/30/11 11:12 p.m.

I have seen mostly Subarus that have been lifted but it's a cool idea for sure.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/30/11 11:44 p.m.

Not quite the same, but I've seen a handful of lifted Honda Elements online and was very interested. Unfortunately it appears the CV joints do not fare well in the lifted Elements. Any feedback on longer term durability of lifted Vee Dubs or Subies?

Others I've seen popular are Suzukis:

X90

SX4

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/30/11 11:47 p.m.

Looks?

Are you lifting it for any other purpose?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/31/11 12:12 a.m.

Old saabs look good up in the air..

But generally you are going to want a car with little overhang and rounded front and rear bumpers to give it the illusion of good approach angles.

the Golf pulls it off.. I doubt the jetta could.

I bet the mini would look decent in "rally guise"

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/31/11 12:32 a.m.

I thought about doing it on the SAAB 9-5 that we had (sold today). It would really make it an unstoppable winter beater; the only times we couldn't go out were when it was pushing the snow.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
8/31/11 2:24 a.m.

I lifted a dodge dynasty with minivan parts.. I always said it would be ready for mudders or 22s depending on whether you were shooting for off-roader or donk status that day.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/31/11 2:41 a.m.

those CVs must be taking a beating... or is there something the aftermarket has figured out?

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
8/31/11 6:13 a.m.

i know they make actual lift kits for subbies, i've wanted this sort of car for my daily commute, even with beatifully paved roads in my town i still would like to not worry about jack crap when i'm in a rush or whatever and can drive my car like a truck and still be fuel efficient. and for when we flood

Taiden
Taiden Dork
8/31/11 6:21 a.m.

Subaru makes lift kits for imprezas. Forester suspension Which may answer your question about cv joint longevity

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/31/11 6:55 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Cannot get this out of my mind. Take a regular car and lift it so it has that off road rally take on anything look. Works on subaru and vw etc... ...... What other newish cars can this work with? The Focus i think would look cool. Anyhow i might head in this direction with the next car i get. Just thought it was cool GRM stuff

Like this?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/31/11 6:58 a.m.

Don't know anything about this one.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/31/11 7:09 a.m.

Lifted enuf for you?!

I'm digging this 'shop

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/31/11 7:28 a.m.

I'll just leave this here....

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
8/31/11 7:47 a.m.

My new Rabbit truck is lifted...but it also has a snow plow so...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/31/11 7:54 a.m.

sometimes they just got it right the first time...

Taiden
Taiden Dork
8/31/11 8:22 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: I'm digging this 'shop

Hilarious, because I literally described this exact car verbally to my friend who has a Focus as a winter car. He's a lurker here, and I doubt he'll have the cajones to post in this thread.

I hope this gives him the push to actually build it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/31/11 8:23 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: I'll just leave this here....

I was about to post that until I saw your post. I don't understand the point though.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/31/11 8:29 a.m.
Taiden wrote:

so full of win

What I want now is a MIV Golf with TDI and the haldex AWD system so I can lift it slightly. All that torque would be great off road with some serious offroad tyres and the range to go anywhere

failboat
failboat HalfDork
8/31/11 9:19 a.m.

some guy did it to his hyundai accent.

then there is this accent rally car I have a pic of, but dont know the details.

sometimes wish i didnt lower mine, would be nice to not have to go slow on gravel roads.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen New Reader
8/31/11 9:21 a.m.

http://www.frankenbuilt.com/cars.html I'm just gonna leave this here

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/31/11 9:23 a.m.

Nobody did it better than AMC:

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/31/11 9:24 a.m.

pinchvalve