Flight Service UltraDork
10/8/12 3:45 p.m.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
10/8/12 4:03 p.m.

I think the 2nd gen Forester is the best looking lifted Subie:

Photobucket

And I think I hotlinked this one:

In fact, that may be my next appliance (since that word's been tossed around a lot lately).

smog7
smog7 Dork
10/9/12 1:21 a.m.
Frankencar wrote:

Pismo? I would love to see you car. I've been trying to think of ways to give my all trac more clearance.

adam728
adam728 None
10/31/12 3:40 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: And because it's always worth sharing, you don't need to lift the car much (if at all) to get the butch offroad look...case in point, my buddy's LeSabre on 27" Swampers: I've often wondered if suspension bits from any of the modern crossovers would bolt up to the chassis of the cars that they're based on.

That's awesome, old man car with Swampers. :) And I thought my LeSabre was looking off-road ready with some scrawny 215-70-15 WinterForce tires on it.

My wife really likes these:

I like the stance. :)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
10/31/12 5:00 p.m.
Frankencar wrote:

I love this one. Looks like a real Golf Country. Saw a video once of a guy in Germany that had a Country Synchro..with a VR6 swap.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/31/12 6:35 p.m.

Can't believe you guys forgot Anja's car:

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
10/31/12 8:43 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Yesterday I ran into an image of the coolest one I've seen yet: Seriously thinking about doing this to my RA65 and using it for rally-X!

I love this! I had a similar idea for my '70 1/2 falcon project that I never completed. Muscle car mashed up with pre-runner and expedition rig.

I've debated starting a thread about the idea, I'm partial to FoMoCo muscle cars, but I don't think that their suspension design lends itself to lift or long travel, and years away from another try at that project.

Frankencar
Frankencar New Reader
7/22/13 3:29 p.m.
smog7 wrote: Pismo? I would love to see you car. I've been trying to think of ways to give my all trac more clearance.

Yeah - that's Pismo. I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Just got back from our most epic New Beetle (and Jetta) road trip ever! to Alaska and all the way up the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) to the Arctic Ocean in Deadhorse AK and have a few decent photos from the trip:

photo BO4A0306_zpsde2ba7e5.jpg  photo BO4A0190_zpse5156f0b.jpg  photo BO4A0033_zpsd3529e27.jpg  photo BO4A9383_zps730da1fa.jpg  photo BO4A9387_zpsc43b6b90.jpg

8,919 miles, many of them over dirt, gravel, and mud with no car trouble at all. I am very happy with the way these cars performed. The New Beetle averaged 42 MPG over the entire trip, and the Jetta was very close to that.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
7/22/13 4:12 p.m.

You are doing it right!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/22/13 7:54 p.m.

whats the details on that vw wagon? whats the suspension setup?

Frankencar
Frankencar New Reader
7/25/13 11:33 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: whats the details on that vw wagon? whats the suspension setup?

bone stock wxcept for tune, tires, skidplate, and lift. The lisft is VR6 front springs and OE VW 10mm lift spacers along with a homemade spacer to allow the use of the VW spacer with the Bilstein HD's. The rear is Bilstein HD's and 3/4" poly spring spacers from Autotech. Overall lift is about 1/2" in the front and 3/4" in the back. The fender liners have been HEAVILY heat-gunned to clear the tires most of the time. They do rub at full compression, and when turning, but not much.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
7/25/13 11:42 a.m.

I like this BMW, and have thought about doing mine when it gets older.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
7/25/13 12:00 p.m.
cdowd wrote: I like this BMW, and have thought about doing mine when it gets older.

It might make it down my driveway, in February, if you do that.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
7/25/13 1:22 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:sure couln't hurt

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
7/25/13 1:34 p.m.

Interesting snorkel setup, I'm guessing there's a panel-style filter in that box at the end and the opening faces downwards? Good way to solve the old problem of filters getting rammed with oncoming dirt or destroyed by the weather and trailside shrubbery.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
7/25/13 7:57 p.m.

If I can't sell my Golf, maybe I will lift it.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/28/13 5:31 a.m.
Frankencar wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: whats the details on that vw wagon? whats the suspension setup?
bone stock wxcept for tune, tires, skidplate, and lift. The lisft is VR6 front springs and OE VW 10mm lift spacers along with a homemade spacer to allow the use of the VW spacer with the Bilstein HD's. The rear is Bilstein HD's and 3/4" poly spring spacers from Autotech. Overall lift is about 1/2" in the front and 3/4" in the back. The fender liners have been HEAVILY heat-gunned to clear the tires most of the time. They do rub at full compression, and when turning, but not much.

surprisingly not too exotic. impressive. whats the bugs setup? are both setups good daily driver setups? you got me quite intrigued

Frankencar
Frankencar New Reader
7/30/13 9:52 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote:
Frankencar wrote:
surprisingly not too exotic. impressive. whats the bugs setup? are both setups good daily driver setups? you got me quite intrigued

The New Beetle has a bit more done to it. The lift is with springs (Jetta wagon in the rear, and Junk yard mystery up front) It is about 2" of lift. It is far more capable of blasting over the rough terrain than the jetta, and I would say that it's mostly due to the stiffer springs and additional height. Both cars are great on the highway. The New Beetle is my Wife's daily driver, and she loves it! She won't even drive my MKII GTI, so this thing really is a great daily. Here is all the info on it: Lifted 98 New Beetle TDI at FRANKENBUILT.com

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/31/13 6:45 a.m.

Frankencar....PMed ya

motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
10/4/13 7:57 p.m.
Jay wrote: Complete OE package. Everything you see there was on those cars when they left the dealership lot. AWD.

Agreed, incredibly awesome. From this and other v-dub posts, lifted VWs may be the answer

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/4/13 8:39 p.m.

Since this thread is back, I might as well add one of my favorites for making me want to throw a set of all-terrain tires under a slightly lifted car:

As seen on Top Gear

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/6/13 10:34 p.m.
Frankencar wrote:
smog7 wrote: Pismo? I would love to see you car. I've been trying to think of ways to give my all trac more clearance.
Yeah - that's Pismo. I can't believe I missed this thread for so long! Just got back from our most epic New Beetle (and Jetta) road trip ever! to Alaska and all the way up the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) to the Arctic Ocean in Deadhorse AK and have a few decent photos from the trip:  photo BO4A0306_zpsde2ba7e5.jpg  photo BO4A0190_zpse5156f0b.jpg  photo BO4A0033_zpsd3529e27.jpg  photo BO4A9383_zps730da1fa.jpg  photo BO4A9387_zpsc43b6b90.jpg 8,919 miles, many of them over dirt, gravel, and mud with no car trouble at all. I am very happy with the way these cars performed. The New Beetle averaged 42 MPG over the entire trip, and the Jetta was very close to that.

Great now you've got me scouring craigslist. Maybe a Jetta/Golf TDi with a Smyth pickup kit on it after the lift. Hummmmm...

dabird
dabird Reader
10/6/13 10:50 p.m.

I'm planning on lifting my 2000 Outback Sport. Something like this

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
10/7/13 2:23 a.m.

GM had made a lifted Cadaverlier concept, but I csnt find any pics of it. I suck at the Googles.

I am a bit suprised no one posted old tin though...

Edit: What movie was it had the murdered out lifted VW SUVs that were driven by body part repossessors?

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5XzygoiXXsjRhAe0wAZLw1Ub19jdK2PZQSOdviBgBYVtAZJ61drexhNgVDj0EXGr