1 2 3
imgon
imgon New Reader
1/5/14 7:40 a.m.

I find CL to be both the best and worst tool for selling things locally. Anytime I listed something valuable, car, boat, etc I would get the most bizarre emails. I have stopped using the email route and just use my phone #. Seems to have cut down on the bozo replies. Still you get total a**hats calling that you know will never show. I am as cheap as the next guy but I at least go look at what you have for sale before I lowball you. The weirdest sale I have had yet was a set of BMW wheels, a guy called me once a week for 3 months (yes I still had them, they were odd ducks)finally he calls one day to say he is on his way, doesn't know where he is going yet, but he is on the way. I gave him my address and told him I was leaving in an hour. No problem he is only a half hour away. An hour and a half later I leave to go to dinner. As we get to the end of our street I see a BMW wagon pulling into our neighborhood. Ah hah, he did show up. I turn around and go back home, meet the guy, first thing out of his mouth is "will you take $100", was asking $400. I headed for my car to leave and he finally decided they were worth the asking price. As much as it becomes a hassle, I have pretty good luck getting rid of things at a reasonable price.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/5/14 7:47 a.m.

~20hrs in and all's quiet on the email front.

car39
car39 HalfDork
1/5/14 8:11 a.m.

My favorite was I listed a track day on CL for my car club, and I got the "Is it still available and how much to ship?" spam. I quoted 1.8 million to ship a 1.5 mile road course somewhere. Was I low?

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
1/5/14 8:28 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My favorite is when you put in your ad more than once that vehicle doesn't run or drive and they will need a trailer, you will still get emails from people asking if it's driveable.

This.

pushrod36
pushrod36 New Reader
1/5/14 12:02 p.m.

A friend listed a vehicle for sale with a price + obo. He had a guy lowball him, an then call back a week later insisting that his offer MUST be accepted because it was the best one he had received.

J308
J308 HalfDork
1/5/14 12:44 p.m.
pushrod36 wrote: A friend listed a vehicle for sale with a price + obo. He had a guy lowball him, an then call back a week later insisting that his offer MUST be accepted because it was the best one he had received.

I like his logic!

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
1/5/14 1:54 p.m.

U still gots dat whip fo sell?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/5/14 1:59 p.m.
vdubinsd wrote: Is the item still available? always my favorite

I just reword it to, "If the vehicle is still available, I'd like to talk about it."

Does that make me a douche? I mean I know I'm a douche, but is this why?

pushrod36
pushrod36 New Reader
1/5/14 3:40 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
vdubinsd wrote: Is the item still available? always my favorite
I just reword it to, "If the vehicle is still available, I'd like to talk about it." Does that make me a douche? I mean I know I'm a douche, but is this why?

Only if you do not actually intend to buy. I have a theory that the people who ask that and then are never heard for a again just want to tell their "bros" about the great deal they barely missed out on. They are disappointed when you tell them it's still for sale.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
1/6/14 1:02 p.m.
pushrod36 wrote: A friend listed a vehicle for sale with a price + obo. He had a guy lowball him, an then call back a week later insisting that his offer MUST be accepted because it was the best one he had received.

I'd counter that his offer isn't as good as just keeping the car.

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/6/14 1:22 p.m.

Currently selling a gaming bundle with driving simulator (http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4273532018.html)

About a minute after I posted the add, I had this conversation:

Texter: got the ps3 Me: Is the add still up? Texter: Never mind dont want to buy from you since your an ass about it good luck selling Me: Try reading next time, thanks! Texter: Lol try not being a dick. Some people say that and dont remote ad Texter: I'll give you 1oo for the ps3

Maybe I am a bit of a dick, but I always assume people still have it for sale if the add is still up. If I ask any other question and the item is already sold, they will still tell me its sold. The question is just a waste of time. If you are serious about an item you should have other questions, even if it is "when can I come take a look?".

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/6/14 1:23 p.m.
peter wrote: hello, am okay with price,and because am far away from united states so don't worry about the shipment i have shipping agent that carter for my pick up any where in the world. i will instruct my client to send you a cashier's cheque of (9000) so what you have to do immediatley the check gets to you just deduct the funds for the vehicle ($5000) and send the excess money ($4000) to my shipping agent so that they can be able to pick the vehicle up from your destination and which will also covers the shipping fees of my other consignments in the state. so if this is okay by you, you can forward your full name, address and cell phone number. expecting your response back

It would be a lot of fun to mess with this guy, with something like "Sorry I'd have to wait for the check to clear. Or you could send two checks, I'd forward one to the shipping agent for you, free express mail!"

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/6/14 2:01 p.m.

I think my favorite still has to be the Prizm I have. I attempted to sell it for 350 bucks. Guy lowballed me at 200, I told him I'd fix it and drive it before that (starter was in the back seat). He said if I ever wanted to sell it for 200, give him a call. I fixed it two days later out of spite and drove it to his work place (I knew him a little) and said it was still for sale. And then I told him it was 1000$. And then I drove it back home.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/6/14 2:21 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Currently selling a gaming bundle with driving simulator (http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4273532018.html) About a minute after I posted the add, I had this conversation: Texter: got the ps3 Me: Is the add still up? Texter: Never mind dont want to buy from you since your an ass about it good luck selling Me: Try reading next time, thanks! Texter: Lol try not being a dick. Some people say that and dont remote ad Texter: I'll give you 1oo for the ps3 Maybe I am a bit of a dick, but I always assume people still have it for sale if the add is still up. If I ask any other question and the item is already sold, they will still tell me its sold. The question is just a waste of time. If you are serious about an item you should have other questions, even if it is "when can I come take a look?".

My first internet car sale was in about 1999. I was selling a nice little 1993 Civic. One of the ads I put out listed the price, the mileage and the year. The only contact I got from it asked, in three separate emails, what the price was, how many miles were on the car and what year it was. In other words, the only thing that had registered was my email address.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/6/14 2:25 p.m.

Honestly, i dont like thin-skinned people on either side. Ive bought and sold tons of stuff on CL and have both given and received the stuff people here are complaining about. I still love Craigslist. I've definitely modified my 'rules' of who to spend time on and what i'm willing to put up with, but i'm not complaining.

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/6/14 3:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
rcutclif wrote: Currently selling a gaming bundle with driving simulator (http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/4273532018.html) About a minute after I posted the add, I had this conversation: Texter: got the ps3 Me: Is the add still up? Texter: Never mind dont want to buy from you since your an ass about it good luck selling Me: Try reading next time, thanks! Texter: Lol try not being a dick. Some people say that and dont remote ad Texter: I'll give you 1oo for the ps3 Maybe I am a bit of a dick, but I always assume people still have it for sale if the add is still up. If I ask any other question and the item is already sold, they will still tell me its sold. The question is just a waste of time. If you are serious about an item you should have other questions, even if it is "when can I come take a look?".
My first internet car sale was in about 1999. I was selling a nice little 1993 Civic. One of the ads I put out listed the price, the mileage and the year. The only contact I got from it asked, in three separate emails, what the price was, how many miles were on the car and what year it was. In other words, the only thing that had registered was my email address.

That is pretty funny. I wonder how many people get the email or phone number wrong that we never know about?

I do love craigslist and use it despite some of the users; it never ceases to amaze!

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/6/14 4:11 p.m.

Damn you, I just bought a new G27 for $240 a few weeks ago. I guess you're a little too far away to go pick this thing up but it stings a bit. ;-)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/6/14 4:24 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif: While your logic is sound you are being unnecessarily harsh, how hard is it to type "Yes"

Quicker too

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/6/14 4:25 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Damn you, I just bought a new G27 for $240 a few weeks ago. I guess you're a little too far away to go pick this thing up but it stings a bit. ;-)

Ouch. Well if you know anyone else who needs one...

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
1/6/14 5:06 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: Ouch. Well if you know anyone else who needs one...

Will you take $50 and half a can of tomato sauce?

It was pretty rad tomato sauce too. I'd really hate to let it go, and to be honest you're going to be the one making out on this deal.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
1/6/14 11:20 p.m.

In this case I may have been the douche..

Here is what happened, decide for yourself..

I was looking to sell a GPS on Kijiji. I went to the category to see what others were selling similar GPSs for. Turns out the most recent add in the category was for the exact make and model, but missing all the accessories.. To me that means they stole it..

The other poster was selling it for 100$. In the add they said all it needs is the accessories and it is ready to go...

My add which appeared right above theirs read...

"Unlike the post below, my GPS is exactly the same model. Has all the accessories, including the original box and factory warranty, plus free updates, it is turnkey, and not stolen!!".

"If you buy my GPS you will not be dealing with a E36 M3bag, or possibly have to deal with the cops."

"Mine, is $20 more but you save by not having to buy the accessories and there is no risk of losing it if the cops find it".

I put my cell phone number as contact info... The E36 M3bag called me and posed as an old woman (worst old lady voice ever), he tried to set up a meeting for "HER" to meet me to "sell" "her" the GPS. It was in a sketchy area 2 towns over where "SHE" wanted to meet. I told "her". "I don't deal with E36 M3bags and "he should take lessons from SAL and Richard if he is going to make a phony phone call"... The E36 M3bag had a few choice words for me (in a guys voice). Then,took down his add almost immediately...

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
1/7/14 1:33 a.m.

To me unless there is an "If the ad is still up it is available" included in the ad I am still going to email and ask "is it still available? Chances are I will have something else to say as well, but it's a pretty logical question in my book. Hell I just bought a set of used snow tires and wheels that were originally listed in November off of CL. And to top it off I talked them down $50. If I hadn't asked and I assumed they were gone...

Contradiction
Contradiction New Reader
1/7/14 1:38 a.m.

You guys will get a kick out of this story too. I got an ENDLESS string of scammer emails over some crappy no name knock off probably Tirerack close out rims that came with one of my old cars. So much so that I finally got fed up and posted an angry "Don't even ASK to ship. Local sale only" statement and I delisted my email and left my phone number.

I actually had a TEXT MESSAGE Nigerian Scammer conversation with someone! It literally followed the same "script" I fought off the urge to say "just tell me where the f@*k you are or don't waste my time" but I stayed polite through the exchange and declined. I looked up the area code afterward and it was a Dearborn, MI area code I believe.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
1/7/14 6:12 a.m.

I buy and sell stuff on CL all the time and you have nailed all the appropriate responses from 90% of my ads. IDK, its free and stuff sells so I'm going to stick with it.

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/7/14 8:32 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: In reply to rcutclif: While your logic is sound you are being unnecessarily harsh, how hard is it to type "Yes" Quicker too

That's probably true...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OhYT49Wqwe29gSOkXVGM2tf3r2dvxqP6oQYyNQO5mLo1tth0E3nzIAkHAMVkQZ0P