noddaz SuperDork
2/18/18 6:01 p.m.

Yes, this was a fun read...

Thank you!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
2/18/18 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Glad you pulled out the shoe horn to fit Mike into your Miata. That boy can drive.  Too bad about the breakage. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/19/18 7:25 a.m.

Awesome, glad everybody enjoyed it! Thanks for following along.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/19/18 7:31 a.m.

And here are the official results. Looks like Race 1 is posted, but Race 2 is just a placeholder for now:

https://race.americanenduranceracing.com/event/aer-at-road-atlanta-2018/results

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UberDork
2/19/18 9:39 a.m.

My turbo miata would stretch studs like they were made of taffy at race pace..er..track day pace. Iconel studs will be the way to go. After that, they never stretched. Then I had to figure out how to use stage 8 locking bolts to hold the parts together on either side of the studs! 

Jere
Jere Dork
2/19/18 10:10 a.m.

What bolts not studs?! Thats the problem right there that's turbo basics 101.... Thermal expansion is a bummer

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/19/18 10:52 a.m.

We had a new exhaust exit after those bolts stopped acting like bolts. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/19/18 12:29 p.m.

AER puts on a good event. I have done only one but it was a blast. I need to do more, but with two kids a weekend away is not an option right now. Thanks for live blogging it, I read it all as it happened and it helped put off the race withdrawal!

te72
te72 New Reader
2/19/18 11:26 p.m.

Fun read!

Sorry to hear about the turbo hardware failure. Guy who assembled my engine decided to use grade 5 bolts to attach my turbo to the manifold. Wanna guess what happens when they've had a couple heat cycles run through them? Hint: bad things.

On the plus side, the engineering has already been done for you here. I went with stainless ARP's that will likely prevent a future failure in my case. If you want to take it to the next level (both materially and financially) then Iconel is your new best friend.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OtSMLqgfEXZOXAFczZtJSgmgPWqMFvsw2BonlfCz5WBlSGsDjKAp7qFkINjPxBy0