1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/10/22 11:36 a.m.
feature_image

You don't want to miss any of the action from the 2022 Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge Presented by Grassroots Motorsports, scheduled for May 13-14. Follow this thread to get live updates from on and off the track.

Feel free to ask questions, share a comment, or even drop an update…

Read the rest of the story

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/10/22 3:59 p.m.

my current status: deciding which tires to put it in the trailer on. I feel like if I load it up on the treaded rubber it will keep the rain away better. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/10/22 4:33 p.m.

I'll be camping at the track all weekend, which means I'm starting my trip with some minor RV maintenance. Hooray....

johndej
johndej Dork
5/10/22 5:20 p.m.

Tut tut, looks like rain...

JG Pasterjak
5/10/22 9:53 p.m.
johndej said:

Tut tut, looks like rain...

It does indeed. My tire choices are Goodyear RS-R DOT slicks, or Yok A052 "rain" tires. The Yoks are certainly better in the rain tan slicks, but they're not a true rain tire by any stretch. Generally I'm fairly comfortable driving in the rain—racing in Florida all my life has its benefits—but VIR is a pretty technical and FAST circuit, and things can go screwy even in perfect conditions. So I'm definitely going to be sneaking up on the edge more than attacking if rain is the call. 

johndej
johndej Dork
5/10/22 10:01 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Nice! Going with my extreme contact sport for HPDE, should be good for both wet or dry.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/10/22 10:11 p.m.

Please take and post so many pictures.  Particularly take interesting ones of the LMP3 car and other Protoypes, but pictures from the whole Hyperfest event would be appreciated.   I went and managed to get Covid and my Isolation period does not allow for attendance.  I'm recovering so there will always be next year but I want pictures!!

JG Pasterjak
5/10/22 10:53 p.m.
nocones said:

Please take and post so many pictures.  Particularly take interesting ones of the LMP3 car and other Protoypes, but pictures from the whole Hyperfest event would be appreciated.   I went and managed to get Covid and my Isolation period does not allow for attendance.  I'm recovering so there will always be next year but I want pictures!!

Thanks for doing the responsible thing. i think there'll be at least 4 of us posting from the event, so you'll have plenty to read in your seclusion.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/11/22 6:50 a.m.
nocones said:

Yes this please! There are so many interesting cars in attendance this year please please please cover the hell out of the them! 

JG Pasterjak
5/11/22 10:19 a.m.

And we're on the trailer. 

EDIT: Technically, "in" the trailer.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
5/11/22 10:47 a.m.

Wu-Tang!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/11/22 4:08 p.m.

J.G. just sent this from the road. Unfortunately, we can't confirm if it's also heading to the UTCC.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/22 4:25 p.m.

True story: Oscar Meyer came to our school to recruit Wienermobile crews and, yes, I did go to their talk. smiley

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
5/12/22 7:22 a.m.

Any chance we can get a walk around the pits or something as people roll in today? 

Tom Suddard
5/12/22 7:27 a.m.

Good morning from somewhere in between Florida and VIR! We'll be at the track around lunchtime. 

Tom Suddard
5/12/22 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Sure, that shouldn't be too hard. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/12/22 7:47 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

We need a Cribs style video of the camper. It solves the maintenance issues that a little used vehicle has.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
5/12/22 9:42 a.m.

following!

Im only an hour or so away, but my schedule prevents me from coming. 

Tom Suddard
5/12/22 3:54 p.m.

jh36 and his awesome bus just showed up:

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/12/22 5:52 p.m.

And the BimmerWorld bus:

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/12/22 6:00 p.m.

Everyone starting to line up for tech: