1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/23/23 3:04 p.m.
feature_image

The place where penny-pinching and extreme speed meet? Our annual Grassroots Motorsports $2000 Challenge Presented by Tire Rack, which returns this weekend, May 27-28, at Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, Florida.

How can you keep up with all the low-buck thrills? Just follow this thread fo…

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/23/23 3:05 p.m.

Wanted to get this posted early because I want to see all the last-minute prep everyone is up to.

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
5/23/23 3:17 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Wanted to get this posted early because I want to see all the last-minute prep everyone is up to.

Same here.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/23/23 3:51 p.m.

Unfortunately the LMP360 is currently in 1100 pieces to EVO but am looking forward to having fun with the MG and Parking Lot Build. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
5/23/23 4:40 p.m.

Can hardly wait!

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/23/23 5:09 p.m.

It looks at least as insane as I anticipated... 

Trying to make an axle... 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/23/23 5:17 p.m.

90k mile service done to truck, loaded, just have to get the kids and stuff thrown in the back seat in the morning and roll out and hoping to make it 2/3 of the way to leave a short 5 hour driving day Thursday 

tb
tb Dork
5/24/23 9:56 a.m.

The old family hauler is loaded and ready for departure. First stage is a short drive to DC and a meeting with the auto train. Should be in Orlando by this time tomorrow...

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
5/24/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to tb :

Shiny, but would look better and confuse more people with numbers on the doors...

What's the license plate again?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/23 10:43 a.m.

Just had our $2000 pre-game meeting. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/24/23 10:50 a.m.

Didn't even dawn on me that it was this weekend. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
5/24/23 1:20 p.m.

Last minute prep? No way, not me...

tb
tb Dork
5/24/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Agreed, but I don't want to lose any magnets on the train ride...

Plate = H00PT

wae
wae PowerDork
5/24/23 4:21 p.m.

I've never come to the challenge without either a tow vehicle or as part of a team.  I never realized the challenge in packing when your only vehicle is the compectator.   We've got the Saab chock full of our stuff and are on the road!

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/24/23 5:22 p.m.

There are pieces of hail Mary axle on the road in front of the shop.

There's a roughly 1/8mi stretch of straight asphalt out there. This thing made it to the end faster than either of the low 11 second time slip holding N54 BMWs in the stable. Turns pretty well too. Vitour P1s are sticky AF 

If anybody ever needs this info axle shafts are apparently only heat treated where the splines are, if you machine more splines the tripod will spin on the shaft and some seriously impressive carnage results. 

We're going to need good play by play of track action and parking lot shenanigans! 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/24/23 11:17 p.m.

We made it to hardeeville sc for the night after 13 hours on the road. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/23 12:28 a.m.
Patrick said:

We made it to hardeeville sc for the night after 13 hours on the road. 

Hope the trip is going well, and see you soon. Also, good BBQ at that exit at Chicken Lickin’. It’s on the east side of I-95, next to a gas station/fireworks stand. Get the hush puppies. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/25/23 9:20 a.m.

Weather is looking beautiful this weekend! Lows in the 50s, highs in the 70s, and partly cloudy. Sweet!

wae
wae PowerDork
5/25/23 9:40 a.m.

We made it to Acworth, GA last night and stayed at an Econolodge.  Good thing there wasn't a fire because this was our smoke detector in the room:

Safety Fourth!

Getting ready to roll out, grab some breakfast, and drive the remaining five hours to Gainesville.  With a stop at Summit to see what that's all about of course.

Tom Suddard
5/25/23 9:42 a.m.

Just heard from the track--they're excited to have us and promised the scoreboards are working perfectly this year.laugh

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/25/23 9:46 a.m.

I get on the road in about 5 hours!  Sooo excited!

Truck is packed with tools, tables, ez up, chairs, jack, jacket ands, wiring stuff, small spares, hoses, hose clamps, etc.

If you need something, look for the blue rx8 and silver Chevy truck!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/25/23 1:45 p.m.

There's no place like home

tb
tb Dork
5/25/23 2:01 p.m.

Just up at the pool deck, chillin. Noticed Patrick's truck a minute ago, see the rest of you soon...

Tom Suddard
5/25/23 2:35 p.m.

I just sent out the final confirmation email for pro drivers, and it dawned on me that we never announced them....

For this year's event, we've added a fifth pro driver to make sure everybody has the opportunity to try one out. Additionally, this year every single driver has at least one SCCA national autocross championship win. 

Here's the roster:

Danny Shields

Dave Marcus

Alan McCrispin

Ian Stewart

Bryce Meredith

Tom Suddard
5/25/23 4:03 p.m.

Decades of build books are going in the truck!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgm4X7jMVwL9AHVf7pXmK681VuPFwDkYdjmxc3ZEi5bBEvEyNFHk8a7JFdqzfdms