1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/9/24 11:46 a.m.
Hoppps said:

Does this have the cameras that come on when you use your turn signal? Or maybe any of the other Hyundais GRM has tested recently? If so, is it helpful or just a gimmick?

Honda had these on the right hand turn signals during the 10s/teens and I found it kind of useful but not necesary. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/24 9:11 a.m.
Hoppps said:

Does this have the cameras that come on when you use your turn signal? Or maybe any of the other Hyundais GRM has tested recently? If so, is it helpful or just a gimmick?

Not a gimmick at all. When you turn on a turn signal, the tach or speedo magically turns into a rear-view camera. It works, and the image is conveniently placed right in front of you. It’s not a replacement for mirrors and swiveling your head, but I like it. (If this Santa Cruz has them, they’re not turned on and I haven’t found a way to access them.)

My wife’s 2014 Civic Si sedan has a camera for right-hand turns. The image turns up in the center screen. Honestly, I prefer Hyundai’s integration. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/24 9:17 a.m.

I’m assuming that most everyone here heard about the storms that passed through much of the country earlier in the week. It was in the news.

About 2 minutes after my wife got home from work on Tuesday, the lights go out. And stay out. The rain and wind had barely started.

Of course there’s no food in the house.

Finally, we figure, let’s do Chinese take-out. Based on the updates, it seemed like we’d be in the dark for a while.

The restaurant had power, so we called in an order. (Budda delight with hot and sour soup for me.)

I drove there (like, down the street) in the mighty Santa Cruz. 

Not much of a storm test, but the best I could do. Truck did fine in the rain. Good headlights. 

And, of course, our power returned as she handed over my order. 

BDG
BDG New Reader
1/12/24 7:08 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to BDG :

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your Santa Cruz.

Pictures? 

For sure, hopefully this attached right.

 

With a side by side crate engine in the bed at Niagara Falls.

Sure, a full size truck probably could have put two of them back there, but the point being it wouldn't fit in a full size car or compact SUV which this shares a similar price point, driving dynamics and fuel efficiency with.

 

Now has 17's and Blizzaks on for winter time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/24 8:45 p.m.

In reply to BDG :

Nice and glad it’s working well. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/24 1:26 a.m.

Whomever between Hyundai, Honda or Toyota (if they ever actually make the rumored RAV4 based scout) makes a hybrid version first will get my business, if the Polestar 2 doesn't first. I can't bring myself to do a Ford that wasn't engineered by someone else. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
1/13/24 7:21 a.m.
BDG said:

Hitch, and trailer brakes.

trailer brakes first!

 

 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/18/24 5:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Is the GRM version of this a Subaru Baja?

 

Owner at Flyin’ Miata

Or this. laugh

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/19/24 9:46 a.m.

We had a Santa Cruz in San Francisco late last year that was a perfect urban companion. At one point it swallowed the luggage of no fewer than seven people who we met up with for a tour while they were on their way to the airport. It's just got a useful shape and size.

I get to actually do some truck stuff with it this weekend so I'm excited to see how it fares there. It's Free Tree day in Ormond Beach, and the city gives out free trees to residents so my wife and I go over in separate cars and pretend we don't know each other.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/24 10:44 a.m.

Got room for one more tree in there? 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/19/24 11:00 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Got room for one more tree in there? 

If we have more press cars I'll keep switching cars and putting on disguises and going back through until they catch on.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/24 11:02 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

We need one of those old Lyft mustaches. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/19/24 4:01 p.m.

Doing truck stuff up in here. This is very much its wheelhouse. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/20/24 11:25 a.m.

Free oak tree, baby!

who needs an F350, anyway?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/20/24 4:10 p.m.

Free trees?  That's an awesome idea..........I'd be all in on that one.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/20/24 10:42 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Free trees?  That's an awesome idea..........I'd be all in on that one.

Yeah our city does it every Earth Day. Everyone who can show an Ormond Beach residency gets a free Florida native tree, and there's also a big plant sale and seminars and nature walks and you get to meet the city arborists and its pretty cool. 

The hookup is when you go back at closing time and offer to take the stuff that's still sitting there off their hands so the Boy Scouts don't have to load them all back up. We scored three bald cypress, one live oak and two maples. We've got three acres and we're determined to offset as much of the carbon from my project cars as we can :)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/20/24 11:12 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Feedyurhed said:

Free trees?  That's an awesome idea..........I'd be all in on that one.

Yeah our city does it every Earth Day. Everyone who can show an Ormond Beach residency gets a free Florida native tree, and there's also a big plant sale and seminars and nature walks and you get to meet the city arborists and its pretty cool. 

The hookup is when you go back at closing time and offer to take the stuff that's still sitting there off their hands so the Boy Scouts don't have to load them all back up. We scored three bald cypress, one live oak and two maples. We've got three acres and we're determined to offset as much of the carbon from my project cars as we can :)

Ya, that's just a great idea. I love trees to start with and it's just an added bonus about the carbon thing.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/20/24 11:18 p.m.

Me and the wife looked at one without test driving it but I'm super happy to see smaller trucks being offered again.

 

Weird question: how's the seat fabric in yours? I was stunned that the one we looked at had the scratchiest seat fabric ever, like.....running my hand thru Velcro. There's no way they are all like that???

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/21/24 3:55 p.m.

The AWD turbo could be a replacement for my Outback.

My car and trailer only weigh 4152 combined so it's well within the towing capaocity. This would also allow me to downsize i.e. replace the van and Outback with one vehicle.

 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/22/24 4:30 p.m.
Antihero said:

Me and the wife looked at one without test driving it but I'm super happy to see smaller trucks being offered again.

 

Weird question: how's the seat fabric in yours? I was stunned that the one we looked at had the scratchiest seat fabric ever, like.....running my hand thru Velcro. There's no way they are all like that???

Our loaner has leather, so I can't help you there.

My wife's Ioniq is cloth, though. And it does feel a bit more industrial and rugged than most cloth Im used to, but I'm not sure I'd call it "rough" or sticky. Maybe you just need to moisturize more?

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/22/24 8:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Antihero said:

Me and the wife looked at one without test driving it but I'm super happy to see smaller trucks being offered again.

 

Weird question: how's the seat fabric in yours? I was stunned that the one we looked at had the scratchiest seat fabric ever, like.....running my hand thru Velcro. There's no way they are all like that???

Our loaner has leather, so I can't help you there.

My wife's Ioniq is cloth, though. And it does feel a bit more industrial and rugged than most cloth Im used to, but I'm not sure I'd call it "rough" or sticky. Maybe you just need to moisturize more?

I mean, probably since I do concrete my moisturizer level is low but this was insanely rough, like it had to be a mistake.

 

Like.....5 levels below the lowest thread count sheets you can buy at Walmart level. Glad to hear it's not nornal

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/24 9:14 a.m.

Just realizing I never did get my tree....

(Guess we do have a bit here in the yard, though.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QMk7rqIQ6VsU0teDqaDHsNDbMlCXUyG3YbqsUWANkWnQhUndJAahIxTC0wIr2I8K