1 2 3
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/2/09 9:31 a.m.

We're broadcasting. Right now the camera is just pointing out the window of the press tower, but you might see some cool stuff go by. Join us at 11am for Bob Tullius live.

jg

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
5/2/09 1:20 p.m.

I'm watching live! What race is going on?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/3/09 1:12 a.m.

I'm so glad I made it, even if I didn't get to do it the way I intended..

Bob took the E-type for the parade:

Dennis & Tony:

Paul Brand & his lovely wife:

The weather got bad, later on in the day (the Fried Green Corrado is on the right):

But over at the GRM/CM tent, there were slot cars...

And they're still working on the Megasquirt.

And one last one for the "..aw, that's so CUTE!" department..Bob's grandson tries out the Fursteneau/Brand MGB:

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/3/09 5:19 p.m.

Oddly enough, I moved tables to keep them out of the rain, but never got fed :(. However, I still have to give a big thumbs up for the staff putting up with all of us under the tent when the rains came on Saturday. And to The Queen, thanks for the recommendation of the shrimp dumplings. They were wonderful. Too bad we didn't get to stay longer, and too bad we had to bring the Jetta down, since the Miata is down (again).

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 10:15 a.m.

Big thanks again to the GRM folks. Always good to see you guys and share a few beers and lies.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
5/4/09 10:35 a.m.

Another excellent event put on by the GRM/CM folks. Let's see, how was my weekend?

• comp'd overnights at DILYSI Dave's house
  • Mmmm, Waffle House!
  • comp'd entry to the whole track weekend
  • avoided sunburnt neck with GRM Bucket Hat (Thanks, Margie!)
  • caught up with many Corvair racing friends
  • caught up with many Challenge friends
  • met some GRM message board regulars (Keith, NASARegistrar, AussieSMG, maybe some others who didn't introduce themselves by their board names)
  • ate Hong food and drank Hong beer
  • listened to Keith's entertaining recap of Targa Newfoundland
  • drank free GRM beer
  • drove LS6 miata on sweet roads outside the track
  • changed underpants after driving LS6 miata
  • drove "touring" laps after the final race Sunday
  • trash-picked some slightly wet back issues

Including gasoline, I spent less than $100. So yeah, best weekend of 2009 so far. The Challenge might top it, but it'll have to be an epic Challenge.

slefain
slefain Dork
5/4/09 10:59 a.m.

I was only able to make it for Saturday, but man what a day. Right now I'm writing an article about the event for work and sorting through the 200+ pictures I took. There's just too much to tell and only so much space to tell it in. Standing in the middle of the Group 44 tent as they fired up each car for the parade lap was fantastic. The TR8 was the only car that made me jump when the driver rapped the pedal.

The GRM staff was great and I could see they were working their butts off. Tim was busier than a one-armed paper hanger but he met every person with a smile. If there were any problems the public didn't know about them and the event carried on wonderfully. My hat is off to the whole team.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/4/09 2:06 p.m.

A couple of Hongs + a couple of beers = a great deal of pain.

But the scars should heal in a couple of weeks!

Thanks GRM! Excellent weekend.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
5/4/09 2:09 p.m.

Well I didn't make it yet again! I hurt my back on Tuesday. It got a little better, but not well enough to be walking all over Hell's Half Acre. Or Road Atlanta. Then my son's new girl friend had a college graduation party that night.

I swear I'm going to make one year. I really wanted to see the Group 44 guys this time.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 2:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote: A couple of Hongs + a couple of beers = a great deal of pain. But the scars should heal in a couple of weeks! Thanks GRM! Excellent weekend.

That was painful to watch. Never mind taking the ride. It's a good thing chicks dig scars...

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
5/4/09 2:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The party is officially 8pm until ? Anyone at the track can get in.

It was about 0230..... I am still tired.

What a great time. Wes, who played guitar was entertaining as hell. Good times. Thanks GRM for having me to your party!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/4/09 2:30 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
SVreX wrote: A couple of Hongs + a couple of beers = a great deal of pain. But the scars should heal in a couple of weeks! Thanks GRM! Excellent weekend.
That was painful to watch. Never mind taking the ride. It's a good thing chicks dig scars...

Damn, what did Paul do?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/4/09 4:05 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: It's a good thing chicks dig scars...

I'm still trying to figure out if my wife digs scars! So far, it's only earned me a little pitty.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/4/09 4:07 p.m.

Who was it that threw out the great quote, "Wow, I thought I was about to watch a guy get run over by his own car"? Was that you, Dave?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 4:36 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Who was it that threw out the great quote, "Wow, I thought I was about to watch a guy get run over by his own car"? Was that you, Dave?

That was me.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 4:42 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Damn, what did Paul do?

He was walking along side the Yugo, steering, as it was being pushed up the trailer ramps. Used to working with a couple of 8 year olds on push duty, he apparently wasn't expecting it to accelerate up the ramps. Instead of 8 year olds though, there was a canexican and cop rock on the back bumper. Car hit the ramps, took off, Paul missed the step up onto the trailer, and managed to kick the 1/4" thick channel steel tag bracket with his shin about the same time the yugo gained 2' of altitude. He was then dragged over the trailer fender while still holding onto the steering wheel. Fortunately, he had a front tire stop installed on the trailer, or the yugo would have tried to park in the back of the pickup...

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/4/09 4:48 p.m.

Ouch.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/4/09 7:12 p.m.

Unfortunately, that was the good leg.

Apparently a protruding bolt head was impaled into the other kneecap.

I'll be limited on my pirouettes for a while.

When you count on 8 year olds for muscle, it's tough to remember that bigger people are sometimes stronger!

I really did appreciate the help, though. I just wasn't expecting it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/4/09 7:47 p.m.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Paul, that sounds painful.

It's too bad I didn't remember while I was there to see if I could ask Bob Tullius about the '66 Dart he used to race. Then again, I'm sure he gets pestered with questions like that all the time.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/4/09 8:59 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Unfortunately, that was the good leg. Apparently a protruding bolt head was impaled into the other kneecap. I'll be limited on my pirouettes for a while. When you count on 8 year olds for muscle, it's tough to remember that bigger people are sometimes stronger! I really did appreciate the help, though. I just wasn't expecting it.

Ow ow OWWWW.... Hope you get back to twirling soon!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/4/09 10:30 p.m.

Uhg - didn't even know about getting snagged in the knee. No wonder you were waddling around like a gimp.

I prescribe 2 Natural Lights, twice a day, for a week. Try to schedule in a little sitting on your ass time...

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
5/4/09 10:56 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: He was walking along side the Yugo, steering, as it was being pushed up the trailer ramps. Used to working with a couple of 8 year olds on push duty, he apparently wasn't expecting it to accelerate up the ramps. Instead of 8 year olds though, there was a canexican and cop rock on the back bumper. Car hit the ramps, took off, Paul missed the step up onto the trailer, and managed to kick the 1/4" thick channel steel tag bracket with his shin about the same time the yugo gained 2' of altitude. He was then dragged over the trailer fender while still holding onto the steering wheel. Fortunately, he had a front tire stop installed on the trailer, or the yugo would have tried to park in the back of the pickup...

There's something to be said when one's not willing to let go of the wheel of an unfinished Challenger. Rock the scars, Paul.

Overall, twas a great weekend indeed and the most fun Mitty yet. Thanks again to the GRM folks and the good times they host. I look forward to the next encounter, hehe.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/5/09 8:54 a.m.
most fun Mitty yet.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Big thanks to the GRM folks for making us feel like family. Big thanks to two of the best berkeleying friends a guy could ever have for helping me limp my car home with no headlights or windshield wipers in a berkeleying monsoon.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/5/09 10:05 a.m.

+1 on best mitty yet.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/5/09 11:00 a.m.

Thanks to all that came to the Speedfest at the Mitty 09. It was great to have our extended family members there. Events can be unpredictable and it was really nice to know that we had an army of badasses there to help us out if we needed anything.

Thanks again for coming guys. This year's event really did kick ass!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LTPmxNHp2BQ3YTWofmlpWJsPwInDAwJrdaxg4oXG2CG89qDUgoJbSf6McgGz5Sqg