_
_ HalfDork
8/9/19 11:44 a.m.

So, if/when I move to Texass, I plan on getting a NC. I know a lot of Texas is open flat road, and the speed limit is higher than the god awful state of Oregon. 

So I here’s a breakdown of why I’m looking at an NC Auto:

•the wife likes the current NA, but doesn’t like the AC (even though it’s working, it’s not up to her standard.) she also doesn’t like the trans tunnel heat. 

•I want something newer, rust free. 

•an Automatic in traffic is great, and automatic on the freeway is great (lower RPM). 

I’ve read that the NC auto isn’t bad. I don’t plan on making a ton of power with the engine. Maybe a 2.5 if the engine ever blows. 

I do autocross and that’s about all I’ve got time for, and I’m definitely not out there to win a trophy. 

I come from an era where an automatic was a gutless game of patience.  But I have read that automatics have come a long way. My current daily is a 2017 crosstrek with a CVT and paddles. I actually really enjoy shifting that car and think that the paddle shifts feel right, Even though it is just a CVT. 

I love the manual transmission. So talk me into/out of this idea. Again, I’m not building the car, just commuting and autox in the weekend. Suspension mods and bolts ons only. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/9/19 12:25 p.m.

Its a 6-speed automatic that blips the throttle on downshifts when you hit the button.

Its a little slow to react to the button push, but with time you learn that timing.

Leave it in D and it acts like an automatic.

Like with any automatic, they are heavier and rob more power from the engine compared to a manual and they are sensitive to heat.

Put a larger aftermarket trans cooler on it, change the fluid regularly and it should be just great.

If you're going for power mods, a supercharger or a 2.5 won't hurt and the extra torque will work well with an automatic.

Automatics and autocross can work really well since you can often LFB and you don't have slow gear changes that upset the chassis as much.

_
_ HalfDork
8/9/19 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Right on thanks man! Anyone know about these guys? https://www.levelten.com/mobile/category.aspx?id=43&404;http://www.levelten.com:80/custom_mazda_upgrades_s/43.htm=

What’s this torque converter doing? More stall rpm? It would be cool to have a good launch for autox. I’m not sure it’s $500 cool, but we’ll see. 

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/SprintBooster/2006_to_2015_MAZDA_Miata_MX5_Sprint_Booster_V3--SPRMA011

Is this snake oil? 

_
_ HalfDork
8/10/19 1:15 a.m.

Nobody else? Alrighty. Guess that’s a green light!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/11/19 9:55 p.m.

In my opinion, 6 gears was the point where autos stopped completely ruining the driving experience of small engines. It's a green light from me!

Ironically, now that they're up to 9 and 10 they've ruined it again, but that's another subject. 

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
8/11/19 10:02 p.m.

I don't have your answer, but I like your style!

After spending a bunch of time in the PC sim, having a great time with flappy paddle GT3 cars, I too am coming to question my manual gearbox lifestyle.

I would change to an auto box, but it would need to be *better than the comparable manual

*Some combination of the following
faster shifts

more gear ratios

equally efficient

I have no idea if the Miata box is any good, how much torque it can take, if you can reduce the shift delay, or increase efficiency via tuning etc... but I'm curious to know the answers.

_
_ HalfDork
8/12/19 12:09 a.m.

As long as it doesn’t shift like dodge neon 4 snooze transmission, I think I can live with it. And since that transmission can keep any gear you select, it would be nearly like a driving simulator, lol. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
8/12/19 6:14 a.m.

There was a guy that found a shift kit for the NC Miata automatic transmission.  This might be what you are looking for.  I'll see if I can find the FB post later today.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/19 8:24 a.m.

Your best bet is to just test drive one and see how you like it. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
8/12/19 8:39 a.m.

I'm guessing for your use it won't be bad..  I haven't driven an auto NC, but we had the same era Mazda 3 (2.0l), and it was pleasant enough to drive.  We had an auto 2.5l in a Mazda 5 that was also fine, neither of them required you to manually shift but was rewarding enough if you did.  It's certainly worth a test drive and unless they somehow had a major regression between the Mazda 3 and the MX-5, it's nothing at all like a 90s Chrysler.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip
8/19/19 10:55 p.m.

My dad had an nc automatic for years.  I drove it quite a bit:  it was still a Miata at heart.  Great handing.  Great brakes.  Top down fun.  The auto had paddles which were decent - it wouldn't react right away for up or downshifts but once you get used to the delay, then it was fine and still fun.   The huge benefit was relaxed gears made the highway RPM lower than a manual.  I still much prefer a manual, but it was ok overall.  

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/8/19 4:14 a.m.

What ever happened here?

Did the OP buy an Automatic NC?

I see them pop up a ton anymore and with my wife preferring the ease of an auto, if I can give up a manual and we BOTH enjoy a car, that could be a WIN WIN.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/8/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to CarKid1989 :

Go drive one or two.  I found it plenty fun on the streets, a great cruiser (drove one to the beach and back with the wife, it was awesome) 

She loved the way it drove.

Wish I had bought one before the kids came along.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
10/8/19 12:04 p.m.

There’s a Grand Touring model in Asheville, NC with the folding hardtop.  If it’s still there in a month, I’d be tempted to take a weekend trip down to check it out,

_
_ HalfDork
10/8/19 12:24 p.m.

I haven’t moved yet, so no, I haven’t bought or even drove one. But it is still in the air. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aIfNDkyP5UnXBTOEMchUOx0QA9jN7r75F1f5s1XWqYgRw0WVaRKrOQLkr1NYN8Ud