trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/1/20 3:11 p.m.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AFSt4pRVgrEH5MSi9

I can't find a single one that isn't ratted out or has the Headgasket delete

Floating Doc
Floating Doc UltraDork
4/2/20 9:33 a.m.

Latest update: text from the owner, he's looking at a Civic SI. Good time to buy if you can, but I'm currently out on PTO, which will run out, and I don't know when I'll be back to work. 

I'm not sick, just trying to stay that way.

I also will have to sell my Ralliart wagon, which may be tough right now.

shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
4/2/20 9:53 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

-Interior in the 2004-05 holds up a little better than the 2002-03 cars, so it has that going for it. 

2004 actually has the same dash/interior as the 02/03. 2005 was when the interior got the major refresh.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc UltraDork
4/2/20 8:46 p.m.

Probably won't matter, I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/20 10:28 p.m.

And, it's in my driveway. 

His wife asked to keep my note that I originally left on the car, probably four or five years ago.

When does that ever work out? I still can't believe it.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/11/20 6:36 a.m.

The only proper ending here yes

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/29/20 2:03 p.m.

Still not driving it. I wanted an unmodified one. This one was so original that it even had the original timing belt. Classic case of "be careful what you wish for."

Since these are interference motors, I let it sit while I accumulated the money, and then the parts to change the TB. And then I got a bad infection from a dog bite. No wrenching for me. I also decided I wanted to have the work done by someone that really knows Subarus, so that backed me up some more.

I was supposed to pick it up on Friday, but the pre-cat on the up pipe is partially clogged, so I'm on hold still until that gets replaced.

I waited years to try to buy one, and as they aged and became more and more ratted out, I'd given up (still monitored the listings periodically, though).

It was several years between me leaving the note on the car and getting a text from the owner. Now I finally own one, and it's been four more months and counting before I get to drive it.

The hinge broke on the hatch for the Ralliart wagon, so now I have the choice of the GMT 400 with broken AC or the ES Miata that never gets driven to work.

I want my Subaru!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/29/20 3:01 p.m.

Replace that catted up pipe with a non catted one.  I think the STi comes with a non catted up pipe from the factory?  So an oem part...

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
8/29/20 3:17 p.m.
_ said:

My buddy's is at 340k, original head gaskets, original TIMING BELT. Don't believe all the hype. Sure it's an issue, but not always. 

Seems like a time bomb...

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/29/20 4:05 p.m.

My 2.0l lost a rod bearing at 70k after meticulous oil maintenance since new. Aside from that, cv axles and a window regulator tearing through the door sheet metal were the only issues (rust aside). 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/29/20 5:12 p.m.
docwyte said:

Replace that catted up pipe with a non catted one.  I think the STi comes with a non catted up pipe from the factory?  So an oem part...

It's getting a non-cat pipe. This is actually as much of a reliability issue as it is a performance modification. 

I don't intend to keep it stock based on the principle of it, but my plan for modifications are all about reliability.

Personally, I wouldn't run a street car that had a catalytic converter on it without one, so I'm going to retain the rear converter, or possibly replace it with a high flow one some time in the future.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
puLeFk41OFldlT8XffzvTHR9VFiDDOhF1hxk8mSOGPHn3ETFBifo6CJ6RfvTgBSn