5 6 7
Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/14/21 3:27 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

You're such a contrarian that even your examples are contrary to your own contrarianism.

Neither the gasser nor the trophy truck are more than 2 inches closer the ground in the rear than stock, therefore the verbiage show for the proposed law would not apply at all to either.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/14/21 3:37 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

IMO, laws need to be directed at the specific aspects of the behavior that are either unsafe, or unpleasant to others.  

I dunno about that second one, man.  There's this one old bi... biddy on my street that doesn't like anything.  Despite there being no HOA she still goes around and tut-tuts people and has tried to "fine" people multiple times.  Has called code enforcement on half the block at least once.

If we're regulating to people's taste, I'm gonna fight that one all day every day.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/21 3:49 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
ProDarwin said:

IMO, laws need to be directed at the specific aspects of the behavior that are either unsafe, or unpleasant to others.  

I dunno about that second one, man.  There's this one old bi... biddy on my street that doesn't like anything.  Despite there being no HOA she still goes around and tut-tuts people and has tried to "fine" people multiple times.  Has called code enforcement on half the block at least once.

If we're regulating to people's taste, I'm gonna fight that one all day every day.

I'm not talking about taste.  I may have worded it wrong.

I'd like to see police crack down on super loud exhausts.  Being obnoxiously loud is pretty rude/disrespectful/unpleasant, but it is not necessarily unsafe.  Generally there are some laws related to this on the books already though.  I'm not sure they have ever been enforced in NC though.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
6/14/21 4:08 p.m.

Whatever loud exhaust laws there are in NC certainly aren't being enforced currently

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/14/21 4:40 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Exhaust is so easy to fight, though.  Depends on humidity, depends on the exact angle you're measuring at, did you get the distance correct? what was the surface around the vehicle like?  There are so many variables that no matter if they nail it down with a hard dB number or a subjective number that most anyone should be able to get out of it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/14/21 6:25 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Exhaust is so easy to fight, though.  Depends on humidity, depends on the exact angle you're measuring at, did you get the distance correct? what was the surface around the vehicle like?  There are so many variables that no matter if they nail it down with a hard dB number or a subjective number that most anyone should be able to get out of it.

Thats probably why a lot of states write the law in such a way that any non-OEM exhaust is illegal.  Rarely enforced, but easy to do if someone is being a dick.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
6/14/21 6:58 p.m.
captainawesome said:

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Blasphemi is a fairly notorious car that has run plenty of street miles for episodes of Roadkill and participated in multiple Drag Weeks.

Blasphemi is also wrinkling the rear tires on a launch in the picture, so the squat is a byproduct of acceleration that's probably ill-advised in almost all circumstances when driving around town.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/15/21 8:34 a.m.

I surrender.

At least I got to look at cool pics of gassers and trophy/prerunner trucks for a few minutes?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/15/21 8:55 a.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/15/21 11:48 a.m.

I would say marginally nose high.  I suspect you could easily get the headlights into legal adjustment.   Drag tires:

Street tires (and extra weight on the rear):

Mike Finnegan Runs His Best Pass Ever in Blasphemi at Drag Week - Hot Rod Network

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
7/24/21 11:52 a.m.

I just got back from a week in NC / SC. I saw a fair number of trucks rocking the "Carolina Squat". They were all subtle. Like a 2" mind of rear drop thing. It's not my jam but it's nothing I would call unsafe. No sillier than when people used to jack up the back of underpowered street cars to look like pro street. 
I wonder how it started? They almost look like the SUV's and trucks you see at the beach with a hitch mounted rack that is weighing it down. 

pirate
pirate Dork
7/24/21 3:42 p.m.

Saw a excessively squatted truck here in lower Alabama. Traffic was very heavy.  The squat was enough the driver was hunched over the steering wheel with his chest almost touching the wheel so he could see the rear end of the car in front of him. Of course no seat belt, no muffler an accident waiting to happen. To each his own I guess.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/24/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

It started by wanting this...without the thousands in engineering and fabrication.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
7/30/21 8:56 a.m.

May be an image of car and road

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/30/21 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Didn't know you could buy just half of an Off Roadster kit.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/30/21 11:06 a.m.

I saw the anti-squat truck this past week complete with hand cut front fenders for extra clearance.

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/30/21 11:19 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I initially came in here to raise hell with the person that resurrected this dumb thread. However, I do appreciate what you just posted, and think that it's actually pretty neat! How about that, the anti-squat does exist

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/30/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Countingcrowbars :

That drag-race rake doe

New York Nick
New York Nick HalfDork
12/4/21 8:04 a.m.

And it looks like action has been taken...

Fixed link?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/4/21 10:58 a.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/4/21 7:20 p.m.

I have my doubts this will be enforced at all

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/4/21 8:37 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

You may be correct. However, since the regulation was announced back in June, I'm seeing fewer & fewer squatted trucks here in eastern NC. They used to be everywhere but I've only seen one in the past week or 10 days.  Don't fret, the squat drivers will be certain to come up with some new thing that's dumb as E36 M3.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/5/21 10:22 a.m.
M2Pilot said:
ProDarwin said:

You may be correct. However, since the regulation was announced back in June, I'm seeing fewer & fewer squatted trucks here in eastern NC. They used to be everywhere but I've only seen one in the past week or 10 days.  Don't fret, the squat drivers will be certain to come up with some new thing that's dumb as E36 M3.

Or they'll start bagging them so they can squat while parked, but jack it back to normal proportions while driving to avoid tickets. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/5/21 9:57 p.m.

Kids at my school are worried...but willing to change nothing.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nRmZlv848rcMfe0sDjkz3f9ft7c2o9GF85BZmGNrhTLkZhytJ00EeYzidegDin5l