1 2
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
4/20/22 8:22 p.m.

The local car guy Facebook group has meets every week and every week there are posts about the stupid E36 M3 happening at them.  I'm only in the group based on the slim chance there will be an autox or other real driving event, but that hasn't happened in years. I need to bail. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
4/20/22 8:29 p.m.

So, what's the punishment for, "cited for drag racing and failure to control" in Ohio? He's lucky he only hit that tiny light pole and not the immovable store sign just beyond it.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
4/20/22 10:27 p.m.

They are supposed to confiscate your car too. Doesn't look good for him.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/22/22 4:26 p.m.

There's a meet tomorrow for a place called Good Enough Garage at a church in Mason tomorrow evening.  I'm considering it because I have nothing going on & it's finally going to be great weather.

But after this, I have doubts.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/22 4:32 p.m.
Jerry said:

There's a meet tomorrow for a place called Good Enough Garage at a church in Mason tomorrow evening.  I'm considering it because I have nothing going on & it's finally going to be great weather.

Go and have fun.  Just leave early if the vibe seems bad.

We have a big (for a local event) cruise night once a year in the area, up and down a couple miles of boulevard, in the strip mall sector so there is lots of parking.  Several hundred or more pretty built cars usually show up.

Normally, it's pretty controlled, pretty courteous, and pretty safe.  But last year I guess the COVID crazies came out, and there were a number of incidents of the usual idiocy from these things.  Haven't heard yet if it's scheduled for this year.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/22/22 4:58 p.m.
Jerry said:

GEG meets draw a lot of people.  They tend to have some police presence at the entrance/exit to keep it mostly under control.  I really wish they'd kick out the stereos on wheels, though.  Last one I went to, there were two of them with the entire back hatch area filled with speakers, and more speakers in the opened rear hatch doors.  Anywhere within a few aisles of them were painful.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/22/22 6:24 p.m.

It seems like any sort of meet works well until the word gets out to the general public.  I used to be in the Twin Cities Norton Motorcycle Owner's Club, and we met once a month at a local pizza parlor.  It was a fun little group with maybe 50 bikes (Nortons, other English makes, and anything else that was old and cool) but then people started to hear about it.  It swelled to a couple thousand bikes, and the fringe elements who started doing burnouts and stunts ruined it for everyone.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/22/22 11:05 p.m.

It's kinda infuriating. I've seen so many automotive enthusiast outlets dry up over the years. Two communities used to have unorganized Friday night cruises - no more. All the autocross venues within  80 miles have dried up except for two very exclusive ones (one is PCA). The best Cars and Coffee spot shut down for a matter of years (And has just started hosting again). All it takes is one nimrod.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/22/22 11:20 p.m.
clownkiller said:

They are supposed to confiscate your car too. Doesn't look good for him.

Street racing is defined so loosely that a single-car 2nd gear pull up to the speed limit on an on-ramp counts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5GMZViKqFvfkYyh7cHDOBYjWYHleHYH5XeJDui3SmSqbHUddmYtwFT0d55EEvp1Y