1 2 3
wirewick
wirewick
12/16/18 11:47 a.m.

Hi all, first post here so go easy on me.

The local Volvo dealer (Northern California) has some 2017 V60's that have been sitting around (for 2 years I guess).  2019 is a complete redesign so I imagine that they are extremely eager to get rid of these.  Right off the bat, they are advertising 20% off MSRP.  I guess Volvo Co. is giving massive incentives to dealers that are still sitting on 2017 cars.   What do they do with cars that never sell?  Auction?

Im just looking for something comfortable and luxurious to get me around safely, and reliably.  The idea of getting a really good deal on a (kinda) brand new Volvo is exciting, I just don't know if its a good idea.  Is there any damage done over time on a car that just sits there?  I imagine the oil is degraded and the battery weak, among other possibilities.

The particular one I am looking at is a V60 T5 Platinum with the drive-E.  Should I buy it?  What's a good offer?  The MSRP is right around $47k.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
12/16/18 12:22 p.m.

Welcome! I can't give a lot of input but I'm worried about Volvo if they have brand new 2017s still. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/16/18 12:24 p.m.

Among other things, I'd want new tires on it. Tires just sitting in the same spot for 2 years could be flatspotted, or simply have degraded. In any case, I'd want new tires. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/16/18 12:27 p.m.

Welcome aboard.  We're a compassionate bunch (but I lie sometimes).  :)

I'm also not much help on the Volvo part.  Last one I had experience with was many moons ago when they liked to accelerate without your right foot being involved.  I know several people who are happy with theirs, but they seem to have gone in a more "mainland european" direction.  Whereas they used to be Scandanavian tanks, they seem to have adopted a more Mercedes/BMW level of maintenance and electronics snafus.

paging volvoclearinghouse to the dusty sage courtesy phone.

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/16/18 12:45 p.m.

It's just a few wagons left over.  I guess people don't buy them here in the US.  

I'll use the point about flat spotting for negotiating ammo.  What's the lowest I could offer without being laughed out the front door?  30% off?  40%?   I wonder what it would go for at auction.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
12/16/18 1:06 p.m.

New tires would be a good idea; so would the provision of a very-low-or-no-cost extended warranty, just in case a tiny group of electrons objects to being left sitting around and goes on strike six months from now deep inside a critical module.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/16/18 1:22 p.m.

Well, they're advertising them at ~39k by your figures. You can always go in and ask for their best price - if nothing else, it will give you an idea of how firm that 20% off is. If it were me I'd go in and lowball them with a ridiculous offer of something like 30k, wait for their counter, and then start in with tires, warranty, etc. to bring things closer. If they laugh, leave your phone number and walk out. If they get desperate you may get a call in a few weeks. I'd guess (knowing nothing of the specifics of their accounting) that you could probably get them to somewhere in the mid-30s. How badly do you want/need one of these, and how long can you wait?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/16/18 1:31 p.m.
Curtis said:
paging volvoclearinghouse to the dusty sage courtesy phone.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t touch or get near  the new Volvo’s with a ten foot pole  

wirewick
wirewick New Reader
12/16/18 1:40 p.m.

Good points from all.  As far as the extended warranty, why would that be necessary?  It's a 2017 but it will be sold with a new car warranty (4yr/50k).  Unless I am mistaken.

I think I will go in and offer $30k as suggested.  Seems like a good starting point.  Is it advised to specify that my offer is for the out the door price?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/16/18 1:54 p.m.

I once helped my nephew buy a left over, 2 year old Mitsu Lancer wagon (a one year model). 

I ran all the value sites and priced the same car as an excellent condition used car. They excepted my offer. I want to say it was a $18k car for $13.5k

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/18 3:02 p.m.

First off welcome !!!!!!

i agree with your plan. Offer 30. They will more than likely say no but who cares. It is your starting point. There advertised starting point is 37.6  you rally are not that far apart.  I like the plan of seeing what a used one with ultra low miles goes for. That is a very I tresting bargaining point. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/16/18 3:05 p.m.

I bought a leftover '15 TDI VW Golf in '17.

It didn't get new tires, but got new wipers, and all new fluids and filters before I took delivery.

No issues that were related to languishing on a lot for 2 years. The tires made it to ~33K miles before they were replaced. In their defense, they were never rotated, and I was looking for a reason to upgrade from the eco compound.

I'd demand wipes, cabin filter, and an oil change at a minimum.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/18 3:15 p.m.

Looked at nada and the msrp on that car is 34.6. List discounted for age is 37.4. So there discount is not really a discount. If you can get it for somewhere at 34.5 or less you are getting a good deal. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/16/18 3:33 p.m.
Stampie said:

Welcome! I can't give a lot of input but I'm worried about Volvo if they have brand new 2017s still. 

I suspect it's more of an issue with that particular dealer's sales force, and not the corporation.

glueguy
glueguy Dork
12/16/18 4:14 p.m.

I’m sure it moved around. Todays parts, I wouldn’t worry about anything at all. Just have them do an oil change. The new warranty should start from now since it’s first sale. Figure out what used ones go for and start there. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/16/18 4:26 p.m.

Warranty is still in effect for the full 3/36 once it’s placed in service not when it was made.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/16/18 4:33 p.m.

Look at the VIN sticker on the drivers door post and see when it was actually made - month/year.  That will help determine how old it really is.  

APEowner
APEowner Dork
12/16/18 4:42 p.m.

It's been decades since I worked at a dealership but back then the only problem we ever saw with cars that celebrated their first birthday on the lot was that the batteries would go bad.  If I were looking to buy one I'd ask for a new battery and, if I thought that they'd age out before I wore them out, tires.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
12/16/18 5:07 p.m.

I work at a dealership. Oil change and battery for sure, maybe tires/wipers if you really feel like pushing. Just had the sales manager come over last week and wanted the internet department to push the 2018's harder than the 2019's. Don't know how that dealer still has 2017's on the lot...some sales manager is slacking.

Edit: being from MN, battery might not be as big a deal in CA. But wouldn't hurt to have a new one.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/18 11:00 p.m.

I'm actually looking at a couple V60s in my neck of the woods - also 2017 leftovers.

We have a 2017 S60 that we bought in the fall of 2017 and we love it.  The newer ones are prettier, and have more features, but I don't know that they are $15,000-$20,000 nicer.

Also, I've heard rumors that the 2019 V60 is going to be special-order-only... apparently because of this very issue.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/16/18 11:32 p.m.

What is the wholesale  used car value of this Volvo with 20,000 miles on it  if it was traded in ?

In reality it's a used car , same as if it was sold and just sat in someone's garage for a year plus !

No Time
No Time Dork
12/17/18 5:04 a.m.

Keep in mind that it is a 2017, and essentially 2 years old, even if it is still “new”. So taking the advice of looking at used prices makes a lot of sense  

Insurance will value it as a 2 year old car if anything happens to it. 

If you sell it, you will be selling a 2017, and buyers will value it as such, even if it was on the dealers lot in 2019. 

So if you’re financing (or think you might sell in the near future) make sure you have gap insurance or enough down payment to not be upside down once  2 years of depreciation is taken into account. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/17/18 7:10 a.m.

Yeah, what No Time said about insurance. It will be a 2 year old car and valued as such by your insurance company if anything should happen to it. My father -in-law once a bought a new but year old Camry and then got rear ended while stopped at a red light by a dude going maybe 45 mph. Car destroyed after he had it about two weeks. Insurance treated it like a old car based on its build date, not purchased dated. His great deal ended up not being such a great deal.

I'm not saying don't buy a new 2017, just be aware of all the potential hazards and take them into consideration.

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
12/17/18 7:53 a.m.

There's probably a cliff at which point the negative margin hits some managers P&L / bonus.   They push them around the back lot and pray for hail.

There must be reason they haven't moved the car.  Otherwise, if they were incentivized to sell and willing to take a beating on the price, they could just auction it on ebay.

I suspect you'll encounter the 'reason' nobody else has been able to buy the car.  Car dealers are weird.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
12/17/18 9:05 a.m.

Check their website as it should list the days on hand or received date.  They use this for Inventory accounting purposes.  With the days on lot in hand, I would then call the Internet sales manager at the dealer.  Speak too one else.  Visit no one else.  Do you home work on the actual dealer cost as that is all they are looking to recoop.  I managed to snag a limited 4 runner for 12k under MSRP this way, it was like 600 over dealer cost.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4pl0DOm02okQJPHCB8ktkQb0v9t4XRgDXb6MdsOYYr0tON65dvmGpfasxh3WIiWk