1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/7/08 10:02 a.m.

I'd rather not build one. I have the facilities to do it, but not the time.

I've found one or two on ebay, I found a California forum of Zetec powered variants, and I came across one CBR powered one. Is there a large forum for these vehicles?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/7/08 10:18 a.m.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, what you want, how long you want to wait, etc. Join some Locost groups like http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Locost_North_America . Keep an eye on eBay. Completed or semi-completed Locosts or various kits come up all the time for anywhere between one large and 25 large. Sometimes people will find one on CL and post a link on the yahoo list. I see about 2-3 real bargains a year where someone sells a rolling chassis and about everything needed to finish it for a grand. Or buy one of those S2K based cars or a Caterham if your checkbook is big enough. There's probably a Stalker forum somewhere too.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/7/08 10:39 a.m.

http://www.locostusa.com/

They have a good forum. Nice people.

I build basic frames and have sold a few on ebay.

-James

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/7/08 11:29 a.m.

James;

Any interest in building a frame to an alternate set of plans rather than the book or the McSorely?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/7/08 12:39 p.m.

If you contact the Stalker folks, they usually have information on pre-owned cars.

They also have a strong support system, and are great folks to deal with.

www.stalkerv6.com 941-448-7319

MyOldMGB
MyOldMGB New Reader
7/7/08 3:18 p.m.

Wow . . . . while out perusing, I found a Ecotec powered Chevette? Ooof.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35479

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/7/08 3:29 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: James; Any interest in building a frame to an alternate set of plans rather than the book or the McSorely?

Sure, send me a PM or email to jamscal -at- bellsouth -dot- net

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
7/7/08 5:36 p.m.

I'm selling one.

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3979

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/7/08 5:45 p.m.
modernbeat wrote: I'm selling one. http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3979

I've drooled over that many times in the past 2 days.

Couple issues...

1. RHD (Why?)

2. Does not appear to be street legal - am I wrong?

3. Bike motor... wears out a lot quicker than a car motor :(

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/7/08 6:52 p.m.

Nice looking car!

RHD because the packaging works better with a bike motor that way. Not street legal right now (a total lack of lights kinda points to that) but it could be MADE street legal. Locosts don't see a lot of annual mileage, and bike engines are cheap to replace.

PHerder
PHerder None
7/7/08 7:23 p.m.

Contact Mike @ welborn2429 AT sbcglobal DOT net if you are interested in a sorted, street legal Stalker 3.4.

His is for sale along with an all aluminum, Texas Rollback trailer and cover.

In North Central Texas.

Pictures @ http://tinyurl.com/5rrzg5

Paul

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/7/08 7:50 p.m.

I didn't need to know that thing is so close to being street legal. I've been lusting over it for a while now. It's the only thing that's made me consider selling my C-Prepared project.

I hate you.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
7/8/08 1:07 a.m.

DOOOoooo eeeeeettttt gggiiimmmppppyyyy

seriously, i have drooled over that locost since i first saw it on CC a few years ago. if i had the clams i would do it myself.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
7/8/08 10:11 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
modernbeat wrote: I'm selling one. http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3979
I've drooled over that many times in the past 2 days. Couple issues... 1. RHD (Why?) 2. Does not appear to be street legal - am I wrong? 3. Bike motor... wears out a lot quicker than a car motor :(

On RHD: Keith hit the high point, but because bike motors lean forward in their natural habitat, when turned 90 degrees for use in a car they lean to the left. To offset that weight on the left, the driver goes to the right. FWIW, a RHD Lotus like this is easy to drive. The car is so small that the offset is not that unnatural, and my shifters are paddle shifters, so you don't have to shift on the left.

On Street Legality: As-is, absolutely not street legal. To be street legal in Texas it would need Hi-Lo beam headlights and indicator, a brake light (and brake light sender), two rear running lights, speedometer, odometer and a license plate light. Things that would make it easier to drive on the street would be a title - this is not a titled car, fuel and battery relocation along with reworking the Petty bar that intrudes into the passenger area, raising the ride hight so taller street tires fit under the fenders - which can be done without any additional parts - it's just a suspension adjustment, and possibly a windscreen if you don't like wearing a helmet. Frankly, this car is built as a competition car and while I think it could be made street legal easily enough, I wouldn't make it a street car.

On Bike Motor Wear: I'd expect the bike motor to wear out quicker than a car motor, but not as quickly as you might think. I'd expect the clutch to wear faster, just like they do on bikes, but I've found that abused (raced) car engines last about the same length of time as bike engines. Either way, bike engines are cheap, can be upgraded or updated easily, and offer fantastic performance right out of the box. I'm a big proponent of BEC and also think single donor Locost are silly - but people have fun in different ways as some of the builder's posts on LocostUSA show. Everything from the overpowered Ford V8 cars, to the flyweight bike engines, to the economical Kubota Turbo Diesel gets stuffed into these versatile chassis.

I've actually been surprised by the interest in it. I figured that it's niche appeal would take months to find a buyer, but I've had constant inquiries regarding it. Unfortunately most of them are from the coasts - which involves buying sight-unseen and transporting it, but I guess the price was right.

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
7/8/08 10:31 a.m.

Hey, Mr. Prodarwin.

I'm a fellow CDC and WDCR competitor you'd probably recognize. I drive an e36 M3, and generally wear a cowboy hat and a Motorhead shirt....

I've been 7 obsessed since I was little, and am finally getting started on a bike engine Locost. I'll see if I can track you down at FedEx this Sunday to talk 7s.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/8/08 11:40 a.m.
motomoron wrote: Hey, Mr. Prodarwin. I'm a fellow CDC and WDCR competitor you'd probably recognize. I drive an e36 M3, and generally wear a cowboy hat and a Motorhead shirt.... I've been 7 obsessed since I was little, and am finally getting started on a bike engine Locost. I'll see if I can track you down at FedEx this Sunday to talk 7s.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll see you there. If I'm not running a Saturn, I'll be driving the Subaru in STS ( ), hopefully I can still get some points.

I'm definitely going to have a walk around grid and drool over the 7s again, since they should be running morning with me.

enderw88
enderw88
7/8/08 12:45 p.m.

ProDarwin, I just sent you a PM about my Super Stalker.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/8/08 4:20 p.m.

The street-legal idea in my post was me being cheap on a trailer, but I already have a vehicle available that can tow it. I'm giving it some serious thought, but I have to see if there is interest in my C-Prepared project first.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/8/08 8:31 p.m.

Is the layout of this thread completely fubared for anyone else? I've tried on 2 different computers. Sorry gimp, but your post hurts to read under these conditions.

Edit: And I have no Idea how to reach my PM box...

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/8/08 8:34 p.m.

Looks fine to me. I'm using Safari.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
7/8/08 8:41 p.m.

I've had issues as well. I PM'd Tim earlier today.

Parts display fine and then other parts display with a right margin of about 1".

And then there is the whole page layout is wonked out. It displays different ways every time I click on this thread.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/8/08 8:44 p.m.

Lol, thats exactly what its like for me. The "reply " window I am typing in is about 2 characters wide.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy
7/8/08 11:35 p.m.

Here's one for sale in Vancouver:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Locost_North_America/message/49085

JohnCh
JohnCh
7/9/08 12:49 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Is there a large forum for these vehicles?

Check out USA7s.com. It's a marque agnostic site devoted to all things Se7en in the US.

-John

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
7/9/08 2:37 p.m.

I've long had fantasies of taking a supermegaultracheap sandrail and building a 7esque car out of it, suited for the track rather than the sand. Could also be a wicked fun hillclimb car (not that we have any hills in Chicagoland).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OBDVfeipWCMcX32JFAfeZaAudH2oV7wWURjVQbtHvnXBZPxdJDWWxPAjFUEvvlVx