DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/23/20 3:15 p.m.

So, I am currently in the 'getting everything ready' to bolt the transmission to my engine for the Intrepid.

Since I am doing it at home, without access to a hoist, I am trying to get every last thing ready to go. I have/will be cleaning everything prior to assembly, cleaning all the bolts, cleaning individual  parts, all the fun stuff. I also plan to clean out the threaded holes on the block prior to assembly.

I know to use some blue loctite on the torque converter to flex-plate bolts since factory had some thread-locker on them, should I worry to much about loctite on starter bolts, or bolts from transmission to engine? When I swapped the 3.5 in years ago I never used any loctite, but I was also younger and slightly rushing myself to get the job done and didn't do a bunch of things properly.

Is it worth it or should be fine as long as everything is torqued to spec? 

thedoc
thedoc Reader
10/23/20 3:22 p.m.

FWIW I love loctite on anything I can't get to easily.  I also just like the peace of mind.  I knew a plumber that said he was so lazy he never wanted to do something again.  He did everything perfectly the first time.  Love to hear more from the hive.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/23/20 3:22 p.m.

Some blue loctite won't hurt anything but it's not necessary in my opinion. 

WillG80
WillG80 New Reader
10/23/20 4:01 p.m.

I generally won't put locktite on something like that, but I probably under utilize it in general. Also curious to hear what others people thoughts are on this application and when/where they use it.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
10/23/20 4:04 p.m.

I don't thread lock anything. 

As a general rule, I don't clean anything either unless it's super crusty. 

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
10/23/20 4:50 p.m.

I just cross thread things, natures Loctite wink

Kidding obviously.  I rarely use Loctite on suspension and steering components, but I do use Loctite on most internal engine fasteners unless it's a bolt threading directly into alumimium.  Bellhousing bolts I wouldn't worry about, but flywheel bolts, clutch pressure plate bolts etc, I use blue Loctite on.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/23/20 4:54 p.m.

^^^^ same.

Loctite on critical parts that I don't want sawing through the floor, or exiting the engine block.  That's about it.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/23/20 5:15 p.m.

I loctite the flex plate to the crank. That's about it. I use a lot more antiseize than loctite.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/23/20 5:22 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

I don't thread lock anything. 

As a general rule, I don't clean anything either unless it's super crusty. 

For me the cleaning was because the hardware came from a spare engine which was super crusty/neglected as the hardware from my car was strewn across the trunk of my car at the shop from when they pulled the transmission (not by me, and when I did a quick glance over what hardware was there, it appeared incomplete). I started cleaning everything since when I 'thought' we were going to put the transmission in, clean and sorted hardware would make the installation go quicker and less grimy than assembling with hardware from a car that had serious oil leaks and lived on gravel roads.

I am appreciating the input gang! I am always learning something on here, hopefully one day I can pass on knowledge to others.

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/23/20 7:36 p.m.

I usually go by whatever is in the factory service manual. Most FSMs say to use threadlocker on the flywheel or flex plate bolts, so I do too. But I take shortcuts too. For example, I'll use the Loctite quicktape instead of the liquid. It makes less of a mess and it comes in a hexagonal case so it doesn't roll away like the 3 bottles of Loctite that I've already lost this year.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/23/20 8:06 p.m.

Only thing I ever loctite on chryslers especially is flexplate to crank and torque converter to fly wheel. A small dab of blue does the trick. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MzTZ9Enb4SPaQC3eua1WL4nQGrQp7qExjK0yvU6bFOV4j2ACzP0UYmBnaEttlIxC