ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
11/3/18 6:38 p.m.

Looking for help finding a early compact automatic transaxle to mount a mid engine 2j. Not disclosing the project yet but it has been something I've been thinking about for years and I'm starting to collect parts. End goal is a mid engine 500 hp 2jz. The best option I have found is a Subaru Forrester transmission but the power handling capabilities are questionable. It really needs to be something I can find in a junkyard so I think I may be stuck with the subie trans but if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/3/18 7:11 p.m.

No personal experience here, but there is an Audi and/or VW trans that is the same as a Porsche, if I recall, and it can handle that power level.  Google up GT40 kit cars and look to see what they are using today.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/3/18 7:23 p.m.

EDIT:  Missed the part where you said "automatic".  Twelve page treatise is now worthless.

I wonder if you could scare up a trans from an early front drive Audi A8.  I *think* those were 5HP24s, not the 5HP19s that most/all over front drive Audis got.

There's always the TH425, if you don't mind a heavy transmission with three speeds.  But you will NOT break it, not with only 500ish HP.  The 425 is a TH400 that is sort of cut and folded in the middle so it outputs forwards, and has a separate iron differential that mounts under the engine.

The Porsche 928's transaxle is also a beefy piece of kit (far stronger, apparently, than the manual trans, which is the opposite of strong) but those are not quite as junkyardable...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iBskx2tZH9dY2xyvgRqFd3fTPgeRoRVMHdx7Vr2F7IlTmVN9cMtqofDhQffyuuiG