1 2
carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/19/12 10:13 p.m.

Doing a little surfing tonight and ran across this. Anyone know anything about this engine or others like it?

This one is a JDM, but it's super light!

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13826

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
7/19/12 11:13 p.m.

It's from a Kei-class car. They're a special low-tax car class (i think they get certain restrictions lifted too) that cannot exceed 660cc, 64hp, or certain exterior dimensions.

Here endeth the brain dump.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/19/12 11:29 p.m.

That it is, and among other Suzuki kei cars, it's used in my favorite: The Suzuki Cappuccino, the Miata's little brother!

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
7/19/12 11:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote: It's from a Kei-class car. They're a special low-tax car class (i think they get certain restrictions lifted too) that cannot exceed 660cc, 64hp, or certain exterior dimensions. Here endeth the brain dump.

Great info...and in this case, I think the cute lil engine is from a Suzuki Kei truck. Neat.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
7/19/12 11:36 p.m.

I didn't know the Cappuccino came with that engine as well. Such a cool car! I wonder how many of them are in the States?

Keith
Keith MegaDork
7/19/12 11:43 p.m.

I'd say this is the Miata's little brother. The Autozam AZ-1. Made by Mazda and it's a superhero name. If I still lived in Canada, there's a very good chance I'd have one. They're old enough to import there now. Make mine red with the Mazdaspeed bits on it.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
7/20/12 12:01 a.m.

Looks like a tiny RS200 Group B car!

blueafro
blueafro New Reader
7/20/12 12:02 a.m.
Keith wrote: I'd say this is the Miata's little brother. The Autozam AZ-1. Made by Mazda and it's a superhero name. If I still lived in Canada, there's a very good chance I'd have one. They're old enough to import there now.

Five more years before we can import them in the US.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
7/20/12 6:02 a.m.

Hey I'm a Canadian,cool but it looks like you'd have to be a mini sized super hero to get in it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
7/20/12 7:45 a.m.

This is actually the exact engine I was expecting when I read the thread title. I've seen them in 660cc Swifts.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
7/20/12 7:54 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: That it is, and among other Suzuki kei cars, it's used in my favorite: The Suzuki Cappuccino, the Miata's little brother!

I have always had an unhealthy longing for one of these cars.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
7/20/12 8:10 a.m.

Why does my mind make me see one in D Mod or E Mod autocross trim? Think you can shoehorn a 13B rotary inside of the engine bay?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
7/20/12 8:18 a.m.

You probably could fit a 13b into them. Mind you the one above has aftermarket wheels and a body kit, in stock form they don't look so appealing, they make the NA Miata and MR-S look like aggressive butch cars.

Luke
Luke UberDork
7/20/12 8:31 a.m.

The brown Capp is a model car, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling well-photographed scale models from the real deal.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
7/20/12 8:53 a.m.

Huh I didn't even notice that it was a model until you pointed it out.

Luke
Luke UberDork
7/20/12 8:56 a.m.

And I was still doubting myself until you confirmed it

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/20/12 9:14 a.m.

I didn't expect anyone to have any information on this. And this is nothing like I expected the engine to come out of. I was expecting it came out of something like those little groundskeepers trucks.

Those are some cool LITTLE cars!

Are there any bits & pieces available over here to keep them running? Are they reliable?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/20/12 11:00 a.m.

Same/similar to the motors in the Arctic cat watercraft, and possibly sleds, too. Arctic cat uses Suzuki motors. If I had the time, I'd buy one of those motors and put it in the rust free 87 Firefly sitting in the back of my barn, and destroy all the ECTA 750 cc land speed records.

This one is 1300 lbs stock and (now) makes 220 HP . It is my favourite kei car. Suzuki Cervo mode.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
7/20/12 11:46 a.m.
Luke wrote: The brown Capp is a model car, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling well-photographed scale models from the real deal.

To be fair, it IS a 1:1 scale model...

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/20/12 11:51 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Luke wrote: The brown Capp is a model car, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling well-photographed scale models from the real deal.
To be fair, it IS a 1:1 scale model...

And it will still fit in your hand.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/20/12 12:35 p.m.

THe only 13B I'd put in a Capuccino is a G13B.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/20/12 12:38 p.m.

Want, want, want, want, want,want, want, want, want, want, want, want, want, want, want, want.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/20/12 12:43 p.m.

I love, love, love the Japanese micro cars/trucks/vans. The little roadsters and sports cars are damn interesting, but I still love the boxy econo-box micro hatchbacks. Hell, I almost want to go back to Japan just so I can own one.... Nah, Im gonna stay here.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
7/20/12 1:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I was expecting it came out of something like those little groundskeepers trucks.

Actually these are used in some of Suzuki's little micro-vans. Toyota has some 600cc micro-vans as well.

These engines are actually not that uncommon, more common than Toyota 20valves for sure, but likewise were only sold on the JDM market.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/20/12 4:05 p.m.
Keith wrote: I'd say this is the Miata's little brother. The Autozam AZ-1. Made by Mazda and it's a superhero name. If I still lived in Canada, there's a very good chance I'd have one. They're old enough to import there now. Make mine red with the Mazdaspeed bits on it.

I want one of these so damn bad!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N2p41vRuPUmOHdYqCU9qGtNeHzxDZoYU4iPTqi8hnuLbmxV2Fi8y0r2gQDgTgpo1