TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
2/25/23 6:48 p.m.

I spent the day machining a bracket to fit a GM style alternator on my Fiat X19, and it's coming along nicely.

However, tight tolerance between aluminum parts is difficult, and I don't want to rely on being my mount to squeeze the alternator.

Dos anyone know where I can get the little automatic shims you see on LS alternator brackets? Failing somewhere to order them, I guess I can run the a junkyard to obtain a few, but a McMasterCarr link would be wonderful

Bracket in progress, 3d printed prototype, and engine mounting location below

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/25/23 7:25 p.m.

They are just press fit sleeves, if you can make that bracket then it should be in your wheelhouse.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
3/3/23 9:51 p.m.

Closing the loop on this, I wound up ordering a flanged bushing from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/bushings/for-shaft-diameter~10mm/plain-bearing-type~flanged/length~20-mm/

This let me use drill a 13mm hole in one side of my mount and slip the bearing in with the flange side facing the nut outside of the legs of my mount. Now when I tighten the nut it takes up the slack between the alternator and the back of the mount, letting me get away with a slightly higher tolerance on my machining.

And yes, I could have machined my own, but my lathe isn't tooled up yet, so it would have been a $300+ part instead of a $5 part. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PXf9rOQwu9BbmXtiN1QsrFmFQQwsIaK0WVt3vaiJ8Q1zs5tWJwhCsReqF6Y6mzCC