bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/14/12 8:34 a.m.

Since there are all sorts of car guys on this forum I am hopeful some one knows some one that may have parts.

I just bought a Fiat 600D Abarth for $1,000. 95% rust free and apart. But its missing the engine block. Engine disasemmbled I have head, crank pistons. But block has been misplaced. Ideally I would like to get a spare engine or short block.

So does any one know some one that has spare parts. ITs the 4 cyl version of the Fiat 500.. ( the 2 cyl)

If not I may have to go with a Motorcycle engine conversion, but feel since its a real Abarth I should keep it stock..

Photos later..

Thanks. Barry

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
1/14/12 10:36 a.m.

In reply to bam2002:

Are you sure it's an Abarth? If so, which engine do you need? The 600-derived Abarths were named by engine size - 750, 850, or 1000, sometimes with a TC or TCR designation.

There is a lot of good info on the cars here, as well as classifieds that may help: http://www.abarth.nl/Default.asp?languageid=1

Could be a derivative of the 850 spider engine - those are still pretty common on our shores.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/14/12 11:12 a.m.

If what you have is indeed a factory built abarth you have a very valuable car. If it has 600D badges on it anywhere then chances are it isn't.

Abarth built cars, modified production cars and sold hop up pieces and kits. I would say at this point 90% of all vintage fiats in the USA have abarth badges on them somewhere.

If you have one of these in the engine bay chances are better

But even these have been avaliable through the aftermarket for 30 years.

Now as to your missing block a D would be 767cc 29hp. Luckily that is the most common proper 600 block.

If you are looking to do a proper period correct restore/hot rod look here

http://users.ntplx.net/~kinukoyc/Pages/tech_pgs/engine_how_to.html

If you want extra power just find a Fiat 850 motor with 43-50hp.

For parts look to

scuderiatopolino.com <--Mega awesome race oriented stuff...pricey!

fiatplus.com <---Everything you will ever need served up with a healthy dose of patronization. Not great pricing but a bad attitude and being the worlds foremost authority in rear engine fiats should make up for that right? Used parts descriptions are sometimes way off.

mrfiat.com <-- 100% awesomeness who will go out of their way to get you parts they don't stock.

Lately I turn to global.ebay.com and get the goods from italy.

Your 600 has almost nothing in common with the 500. Two totally different cars and your watercooled 4cyl isn't related to the aircooled 2 cylinder at all.

mirafiori.com is the hangout for most USA based fiat owners. I wish there was a better forum and have thought about building my own but I don't think anyone will leave mira while it still lumbers on in its 1992 based software.

Oh and please post more about this car. Pictures, anything. I LOVE 600's. Still looking for another (I have had 4)

I daily drive its slightly bigger younger brother the 850 Berlina Photobucket

If you would like to know how to make a reliable 120hp out of 843cc look at my readers ride.

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/14/12 3:19 p.m.

Great info THANKS...

Its a 1000 engine. Or thats what was in it.. I am still waiting for the Title, but I am told that the Title says Abarth.. its the street version not the track. I was told this means it is not suppose to have the nose cowl or the side rear wheel flares.

Does the Vin # indicate anything about Abarth?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/14/12 4:29 p.m.

We need pics and more info. An Abarth berlina corsa for a grand is like finding a Shelby GT350 for 2K. It just doesn't happen.

If it indeed real contact Jeff Stitch over at mirafiori.com. I can't think of anyone in the US with more knowledge about these cars. Chris Obert at Fiatplus or Paul at scuderiatopolino would be good info but Jeff isn't in the business of buying and selling abarths so he would be the most unbiased.

I am not an abarth expert. They trade way above my pay scale but IIRC all 1000's had a version of the front radiator. Earlier 750 and 850 cars didn't. The TCR 1000 is the biggest and baddest version with the "radiale head" big front mount rad and wide rear flares and massively radiused front arches.

The 1000TC was the lesser one liter car with a stock body with the smaller radiator housing.

Again. I am waiting on pics. I love these cars.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/15/12 6:38 a.m.

From my Greg Schmidt Abarth book:

A guy who wrote a book said: Fiat-Abarth 850 and 1000 Not very many authentic ones around. These cars do not have the large front radiator nor the rear deck lid props. They have front disc brakes. What to look for: Compare engine number stamped on the chassis ID plate to the number stamped on the engine block above and to the right of the timing cover. Next, compare the chassis numbers on the ID plate with the numbers stamped near it on the body panel. Oil filter canister in front of and below the generator (regular 600's have a centrifugal filter on the crank only). 17mm head bolts (vs 14mm). Mechanical tach drive. Handbrake drum fitted to the front end of the transaxle (600D has none). 12 inch ventilated steel wheels and drum brakes (this disagrees with the above, so ?).

Ditto contacting Jeff Stitch, he is THE MAN and a swell guy. Chris Obert at C. Obert & Co. aka Fiat Plus would be my second go-to guy and the only person who is going to stock a lot of the parts for any rear engine Fiat in this country.

I've got quite a bit of Fiat-Abarth literature, books, etc but not much seems to cover the 'lesser' 600 based cars. Didn't crack open my FAZA book since I'm not sure where it is. If it turns out it's a genuine Abarth I'd sell a few of the books resonably if you'd want them.

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/15/12 6:11 p.m.

Thanks I will contact Jeff..

Here are a few photos..

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/15/12 7:07 p.m.

This info looks good. Not very many authentic ones around. These cars do not have the large front radiator nor the rear deck lid props. They have front disc brakes.

..."What to look for: Compare engine number stamped on the chassis ID plate to the number stamped on the engine block above and to the right of the timing cover. Next, compare the chassis numbers on the ID plate with the numbers stamped near it on the body panel. Oil filter canister in front of and below the generator (regular 600's have a centrifugal filter on the crank only). 17mm head bolts (vs 14mm). Mechanical tach drive. Handbrake drum fitted to the front end of the transaxle (600D has none). 12 inch ventilated steel wheels and drum brakes (this disagrees with the above, so ?). "...

It has Disk front brakes, a Mechanical Tach,. I have the Oil filter but NO block so no ID #s.. and a box of engine parts. So no clue where the parts mount. The rims are Magnesium, Also there are a stock set of pistons and a set of 13 to 1 pistons.. in a box..

Great info thanks.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/15/12 7:35 p.m.
bam2002 wrote:

One thing that is odd is that badge.

The 1000SP was a sports racer, not a sedan.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/15/12 7:41 p.m.

Nevermind. That is an Audi badge. Not a fiat or abarth

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/15/12 7:48 p.m.

hmm ok Yea I had to sort throug alot of boxes. there were also mustang parts mixed in. He has books and owners manaual he still need to to dig out.. to give to me..

So looks like I am getting extra parts from other cars. Ill have to ask him if he has the Audi..

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/15/12 7:55 p.m.

Ok Vin on body is 100d 1926514

Also I went to Jeffs web site and tried the EMail off the site it bounced back..

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/16/12 5:49 a.m.

Go to www.mirafiori.com and post on the "interactive forum". He'll turn up.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs
1/16/12 9:11 a.m.

if it's not a legite abarth, you can probably find a lot cheaper way to get it running than finding that engine. I stuffed a subi 2 liter twin turbo and a porsche 915 trans in the back of my 850

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/16/12 2:04 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: if it's not a legite abarth, you can probably find a lot cheaper way to get it running than finding that engine. I stuffed a subi 2 liter twin turbo and a porsche 915 trans in the back of my 850

Wow that thing must move.. I am going for MPG vs speed. But a 100 HP cycle engine would work,

I have found persons with engine blocks so I think I may go stock..

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/17/12 3:02 p.m.

OK all the parts unpacked.

Here are all the photos. http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/bam2002/Fiat/

I was able to reach Jeff.. thanks.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/17/12 3:54 p.m.

I am interested to hear what he has to say.

That grill is a new one to me. I have seen similar pieces but mostly on 70's Seat 600's and a few aftermarket types on earlier Fiats. Looks like it lines up with the holes in the front of the car too.

What year is this car?

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
1/18/12 1:06 p.m.

I was told its a 1965 but still waiting on the title.,

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6F0s6GJ1QzJhiq4uCYNW4FMG66UZuLqHqtwkTIqeMA2q8mqEAgOioICHy94YFCLQ