The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
5/18/21 7:56 a.m.
feature_image

Sponsored Content Presented by Garmin.

As Garmin explains, its Catalyst™ driving performance optimizer* is one of the best ways to fine-tune your driving skills. Mounted in the cockpit of your car, the unit not only gathers on-track data, but also gives you audible coaching cu…

Read the rest of the story

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/18/21 11:35 a.m.

Clicked the link. Saw the price. Clicked back button. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
5/18/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

I had to know.  But it comes with a remote camera.

*back button * 

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
5/18/21 10:22 p.m.

Time for someone to build an app for this! Your cell phone has all the components needed to do it. Camera, accelerometer, GPS and recording. Please someone step up and put Garmin out of business ! I would do it but I'm building a SIDS warning device.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/18/21 11:54 p.m.
f1carguy said:

Time for someone to build an app for this! Your cell phone has all the components needed to do it. Camera, accelerometer, GPS and recording. Please someone step up and put Garmin out of business ! I would do it but I'm building a SIDS warning device.

No, it actually doesn't.  The GPS in the phone isn't anywhere close to as good as the one you get in a dedicated data system, and the camera in most cell phones is much too wide angle for this application.  Also, the part of this that's expensive *is* the software.  Software isn't free, it takes many hours to write and perfect.  You need to pay that back (and make a profit!), and the market for this sort of product is small.  The fewer people who buy something the more each of them needs to pay in order to have the numbers work out.

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
5/19/21 6:57 a.m.

• Global smartphones sales revenue | Statista

The number of smartphones sold worldwide reached over 1.5 billion units in 2019.

Some phones now have 5 cameras and the GPS chip is the same so if you want to the price to come down use a cell or off the shelf tablet NOT a low volume dedicated platform. Garmin could make more money by selling the software alone.   

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
5/19/21 7:28 a.m.

In reply to f1carguy :

To comment on Garmin's hardware decision as someone who's worked too long in mobile software/hardware - "it's not that simple" - and I'll leave it at that.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
5/19/21 9:18 a.m.
f1carguy said:

Garmin could make more money by selling the software alone.   

Broadly speaking, consumers won't pay for software.

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/19/21 9:36 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
f1carguy said:

Garmin could make more money by selling the software alone.   

Broadly speaking, consumers won't pay for software.

I'm not saying I agree with the argument that they'd be better off selling just the software. But have you heard of solostorm, the $200 autocross gps data app? People at least in this market will certainly pay for the software. And there's alternatives that are free-$20 and 90% as functional...but tons of people still pay up for the best one.

accordionfolder
5/19/21 2:12 p.m.

On topic, I do rather like my catalyst, I agree it's a bit expensive, but it "just works" and passing it around after a session and getting feedback from other drivers is fantastic. It's had some great software updates lately, and if they get the in depth analysis down, it'll be a great set-up with no laptop required.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
5/19/21 2:33 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

On topic, I do rather like my catalyst, I agree it's a bit expensive, but it "just works" and passing it around after a session and getting feedback from other drivers is fantastic. It's had some great software updates lately, and if they get the in depth analysis down, it'll be a great set-up with no laptop required.

I haven't used one personally, but I've watched someone use it.  I'm impressed with the video integration, the ability to quickly navigate to particular corners on particular laps, etc.  I was surprised to see it didn't offer the ability to export the data for offline analysis though.

cck
cck
7/12/21 2:44 p.m.

I am happy with it so far, I have run three track days with it. For something relatively new to the market, my impression is that I see quite a lot of them already at track days.  It is still early days, but my sense is that most experience reports are positive. I would guess it has been a very successful product launch for Garmin.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/26/21 9:16 a.m.

In reply to f1carguy :

TrackAddict ($7 for the full version), OBDII wifi dongle ($35 from Shamazon), external bluetooth GPS antenna ($160). 

It saves the data as a .csv file that you can use to sync up to other videos/datastreams as well.

But it's not as nice as the Garmin. This is what I use on a "just graduated and trying to go fast on a budget" budget.

accordionfolder
8/26/21 9:53 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

The Garmin does sync your lap data to their servers, but it's a bit fiddly to download (you can get it in CSV form) and I've never dug into the granularity of the metrics pushed to their servers.

accordionfolder
8/26/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

The video integration on the Garmin is on a different level from TrackAddict, though there's no question on the price delta. The Garmin's major selling point (and why I was willing to pay for it) is setup takes 10 minutes and it just works every time, no fiddling with anything or waiting for satellites, waiting to pair flaky Bluetooth, etc. I just put it in the doc before the first session and select the car I'm using - no fuxing around. It even gets the weather data automatically and adds it to the session info.

I've used and worked professionally on APEXpro's app and TrackAddict - APEX has better data than both the garmin and TrackAddict and their post-session analysis and tools on device are better than anything I've used on a mobile device (non-laptop).

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/26/21 11:53 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Yeah, like I said TrackAddict with peripherals is my "git gud at racing on a budget" setup. I'm looking at either the APEXpro or Garmin when I get serious. 

accordionfolder
8/26/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

Agreed, it's impossible to beat for the price - I used/still use it for the same reason, it's always ready and always on my phone - even without a BT dongle I think it's plenty passable to try to understand going faster!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/27/21 6:26 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

I've been using Trackaddict but I'm starting to doubt the accuracy of lap times/speeds. My last session at AMP, it indicated a top speed of 116 while my speedometer read 124. Maybe it's good at "I was faster in this corner on this lap." Maybe not. I need to mount my transponder and see. 

Regardless this thread is very relevant to my interests. Stoked to hear other Garmin users chime in.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
8/27/21 8:56 a.m.

I bought the Catalyst earlier this year when there was a $100 rebate available (which reminds me, I still need to use that!). While not as powerful as and more expensive than other options it's completely self-contained unit and Garmin has done well to provide updates and add features. I've used it for 4 events so far and it's worked flawlessly each time. The main factor for me choosing the Garmin was I wouldn't have to juggle several peripherals and make sure everything is connected and communicating properly. I also think it's easier to review data immediately after a session since it's a much larger screen than my phone. It's certainly more convenient when trying to review the results of my session with an instructor. The major complaints I read are price (valid) and that the Garmin doesn't do point-point runs (e.g. autox) or have OBDII/CAN connectivity. The last two don't bother me since I don't autox and my car doesn't have OBDII or a factory CAN system. That being said, I'm sure it's something Garmin could figure out if there's enough interest.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
8/27/21 9:24 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I've been using Trackaddict but I'm starting to doubt the accuracy of lap times/speeds. My last session at AMP, it indicated a top speed of 116 while my speedometer read 124. 

FWIW, speedometers are notoriously inaccurate at high speeds, being off by 8 mph above 100 does not surprise me at all.

RyanCheek
RyanCheek New Reader
8/30/21 8:39 a.m.

This is, by far, the easiest track data system to use. I wish it had more versatility and had software support to connect with other Garmin systems. I use the Catalyst, the Garmin Vivoactive smart watch, and Garmin Virb Ultra 30 action cam all while on track and there is no way to compile all the info/data each collects. Do you all have a contact at Garmin you could put me in touch with? I have sent Garmin emails through their tech support and also their idea website. 

poopshovel again
9/3/21 7:22 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
poopshovel again said:

I've been using Trackaddict but I'm starting to doubt the accuracy of lap times/speeds. My last session at AMP, it indicated a top speed of 116 while my speedometer read 124. 

FWIW, speedometers are notoriously inaccurate at high speeds, being off by 8 mph above 100 does not surprise me at all.

Learned something new today!

poopshovel again
9/22/21 9:26 a.m.

FYI: There's one BNIB on ebay for $888 shipped.  I'm not sure if I wanna pull the trigger just yet. 

accordionfolder
9/22/21 12:04 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

For whatever it's worth I have no buyers remorse even though it was pricey (I even payed full price). It really is so so so convenient and "just works." 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wenOJdIqH9n3vwlBME4wx04ZD4YXNYTtWP5Aa6sLD3zuvc0eF0GnMDpQlL0KGBKA