valiant171
valiant171 New Reader
12/4/10 4:35 p.m.

Well I have been doing research on cars in the 2-4k price range and looks like P71 wins...

They are priced well in my area (Minneapolis) compared to what I want (Subaru with a 5mt and 2.2)

Pretty well cared for from what I have seen.

As safe as Brinks truck (sombody better not hotlink a Brinks truck in an accident)

Acceptable mileage, parts made out of rocks and pig iron. They have a decent aftermarket support group.

It just seems to fit, sure they are big compared to my ACR but since I will be commuting mostly on the highway the comfort may be a blessing (especially given the high rates and koni's vs frost heaves)

But I do have a few questions:

How much better are the 03+ cars over the 01-02 models since non P.I motors are out? I am not a blue oval bro, will this bug me? I know the coil packs and the 3 threaded spark plugs are an issue but how bad are they? Do they come with a radio and speakers? I know it wont be ACR stiff but are they a bit sporty at all... I do plan on renting one some time soon(www.exgovernmentcars.com) but just curious.

I know I will have some more questions but thanks for the advice and guidance on my possible next car purchase.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
12/4/10 4:52 p.m.

paul
paul Reader
12/4/10 5:11 p.m.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
12/4/10 5:24 p.m.
valiant171 wrote: (sombody better not hotlink a Brinks truck in an accident) .

Too late now.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
12/4/10 5:44 p.m.

How many tread patterns on those tires??? I count three: backs all the same, and each of the fronts different. I bet that really helps handling.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/4/10 5:52 p.m.

Why would you run a pipe 3 feet longer to reach the other side of the vehicle, crossing the driveshaft?

Oh yeah, how do you flip a 10,000 lb. Sumo Fat Chick? Really, I have to know.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
12/4/10 6:00 p.m.

The extra power is nice, but the upgraded suspension is even more noticeable. The steering is more precise, and the car just feels more well planted to me. Wish I'd had the cash to go with a newer one when I bought my panther.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
12/4/10 6:06 p.m.

PI motor came in 01. Exactly the same to 2010. 03 got a new chassis with a revised suspension, bigger brakes, and rack and pinion steering. I honestly think they worth the extra (as an ex-owner of an 01). The reason is they stole the brakes from the 03 P71 for the 05 Mustang GT, so all 05-11 Mustang wheels fit on the 03+ P71.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
12/4/10 6:07 p.m.

I just don't think I could pilot a P71 without these two items.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
12/4/10 6:14 p.m.

Dammit, Ditch, now you've got me singing "Sa-oodies in A-oodies" again!

davidjs
davidjs Reader
12/4/10 8:39 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Why would you run a pipe 3 feet longer to reach the other side of the vehicle, crossing the driveshaft? Oh yeah, how do you flip a 10,000 lb. Sumo Fat Chick? Really, I have to know.

Looks like there are steps on the passenger side right in that area, so they probably didn't want to set the polyester pants on fire...

valiant171
valiant171 New Reader
12/5/10 1:09 a.m.

and from what I remember walked away

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
12/5/10 9:13 a.m.

From my ridealong in a police car (in the front seat, not wearing fancy bracelets in the back ) I was impressed with the handling, for what it was. Suspension seemed the right balance between stiff for performance and strength and comfortable for long hours in the driver's seat. We didn't do a lot of high speed driving but it worked well for what we did. The sarge drove well, too - good lines through the turns and such. What really surprised me was how tight the turning radius was. The Crown Vic is a big car, yet we made many U-turns in just one tight arc throughout the evening.

Thanks to that experience plus Javelin's input, I've got an 03+ in mind as a future daily driver / winter beater (would want the posi and snow tires for winter use). Would HAVE to try at least one track day with it, just to see what it can do - and to give everyone else in my run group the chance to try and outrun a police car.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
12/5/10 9:30 a.m.

Make sure you do a nice flowing track like Portland for your track day. P71's were designed for high-speed chase work (95 MPH in 2nd gear ) and with all the auxiliary coolers it will literally lap all day without breaking a sweat. Surprisingly quick, too!

valiant171
valiant171 New Reader
12/5/10 11:32 a.m.

Thanks for the input and it looks like I should try to go with the 03+,I guess I better start pinching pennies and switch to Mountain Creek...(shudder) I think a few weeks on the wagon sounds better...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/5/10 12:15 p.m.

you can't get bilstiens for the 03 and up cars, and the wheel offset won't allow sweet deep dish rims like the ones in my profile. If you need a reason to feel good about an 01 or 02.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cBhfoNDEE1rfqOpUxEwUMS5Dt2CnJmJ6hUnyjuQLR9GziUmeAYHmUWv82RQF3mgR