P71
P71 SuperDork
7/24/09 8:58 p.m.

With THIS:

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/24/09 9:40 p.m.

Nice, almost worth the drive down. For some reason it reminds me of a boat with that paint job. Damn you Americans and your cheap plentiful miatas! shakes fist

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/24/09 9:46 p.m.

I like it, but I'm on the wrong coast

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
7/24/09 11:52 p.m.

That reminds me of those shark gummy candy things

thedude
thedude New Reader
7/25/09 2:24 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: That reminds me of those shark gummy candy things

petegossett
petegossett Dork
7/25/09 8:15 a.m.

I saw a mid/late-50's guy driving an n/a yesterday....the majority of the body was purple, the hood & trunk lid gold, and the windshield frame was orange....

I really couldn't tell if it was intentional or not.

I need to go find some gummy sharks now....

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/25/09 8:35 a.m.

That paint job is... unfortunate.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/25/09 12:44 p.m.

Pete, could it have been chameleon paint?

The current owner of my previous Miata is seriously tempted to make it look like an Elan Sprint. Red on top, gold in the groove halfway down the body, white below. Could look good.

Or possibly a dark silver, for a bit of a Muira nod.

As for the gummy shark Miata, it's the arc over the wheelwells that make it look like an Exploder or Outback wannabe. Not my favorite associations for a sports car.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot Reader
7/26/09 10:44 a.m.

Have any of you seen the two tones on a new impreza outback lately?

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
7/31/09 4:44 p.m.

No that Elan is a gorgeous car!

walterj
walterj Dork
7/31/09 6:16 p.m.
Keith wrote:

WANT.ELAN.NOW

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/31/09 6:20 p.m.

Imagine a Miata with black Minilites with a silver lip, painted white below the crease around the body and gold inside the crease. Ideally, you'd want to modify the nose to move the turn indicators, but even without that I think it would work. Eric's been working on me for several years to come around to the idea, and I'm pretty much convinced now...

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
7/31/09 6:48 p.m.

harveydog44
harveydog44
3/3/10 4:39 p.m.

In reply to walterj: WOW! I had a few minutes to kill so I thought I'd look for my old Elan and here she is! My god, I miss her so much, I'd love to know where she is now. That's the above car- Reg No: DRX 841K '71 Elan sprint. I sold her to Barry Ely in Leytonstone, London in 2006, when I emigrated to The States. I owned it for 10 years and she was, and will always be, the best car I ever owned. Sublime handling, looks and acceleration - everybody loved her. I wish I had her with me here in Los Angeles. If you are her current owner, let me know, I'd love to know what she's up to. LOL. If this sounds like a lonely hearts post, then it is!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/3/10 4:53 p.m.

I was the one that posted the picture of your elan, Harveydog. It's from the Barry Ely website and I found it during a web search. It was simply a great picture of a very cool little car.

Good luck in hunting her down!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ErEEs1SjFKpR3V2ygD9brkMEZJNhnxZi9fJsiIx8iwYJMMMgcbMYehTvmHuVcre3