1 2
FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/6/17 9:33 a.m.

I think I know where he is, and he is brokering the Volvo as the residence in the photos doesn't match his physical address. And he is definitely not doing it legally as the Maryland law link shows.

His name is Tom - based on a phone number hit it comes up with his ebay profile. Based on that I found in the ad description of a first name of Tom, I found a Facebook profile. That gave me the last name. Put that with the location and the geographic description put in his vehicle ads I came up with this.

I miss doing repo work sometimes.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/6/17 9:45 a.m.

This maybe an easy sell to GRM types, the group of people he's targeting are more like the $1200 auto type than the truly sweet $4000 manual types. So, I don't think 3k is out of the question.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/6/17 10:02 a.m.

Come out to the Pacific Northwest, there are a zillion old Volvo's. Not only that, but I still see plenty of stick-shift 240's in the pick n pull.

So just buy the nicest, cleanest version you can find with whatever transmission, and it it's an automatic swap it over yourself. I'm pretty sure these cars are old-tech enough that the computer doesn't care what transmission is in it, although some Volvo freak may come on here and tell me I'm wrong.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/6/17 10:03 a.m.
cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/6/17 10:09 a.m.

You never know. Cash has a way of persuading people.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/6/17 10:09 a.m.
Tyler H wrote:
Blaise wrote: That being said, the key to a good negotiation isn't an offer... it's having the other guy state the number first.

True, but people who've posted on CL more than once know they're going to get insane lowball offers, so they almost always jack up the asking price, ready to settle for less.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/6/17 10:11 a.m.

Enthusiast owned with tons of maintenance history and upgrades, $3,200.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/6/17 10:56 a.m.

facetwit link quote:

WORK

Self-Employed Working for God-Krishna

Bhakti- Selfless service

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
4/6/17 10:58 a.m.
Blaise wrote:
Tyler H wrote:
Blaise wrote: That being said, the key to a good negotiation isn't an offer... it's having the other guy state the number first.
True, but people who've posted on CL more than once know they're going to get insane lowball offers, so they almost always jack up the asking price, ready to settle for less.

I know I do!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
4/6/17 12:29 p.m.

1992 is a long way from 1978.. I think the later 240s are in demand. Galvanized bodies and they're a little more "modern" feeling than the early 240s.

Anyone musing that it's overpriced; are you sure? Have you looked into what they sell for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Volvo-240-240DL-/232222234578?hash=item36118617d2:g:nkIAAOSwt5hYhUDU&vxp=mtr

$6600 for a 1988 with 112k miles. I am sure this guy can get $3000+ for "his" wagon if he holds out.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/6/17 12:37 p.m.

I agree that late ones and very early ones are the most valuable. These are on the uptick, it's just that this is on CL and not an enthusiasts' site. And the ad is a bit wierd. Not written by an enthusiast. I pay more from fans than from people playing the market.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
4/6/17 12:44 p.m.

With prices like that maybe I should sell the 93 245 I bought for $275. It's not in as good of condition as that one but it does only have 150k miles.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
4/6/17 12:50 p.m.
markwemple wrote: I agree that late ones and very early ones are the most valuable. These are on the uptick, it's just that this is on CL and not an enthusiasts' site. And the ad is a bit wierd. Not written by an enthusiast. I pay more from fans than from people playing the market.

His ad is weird? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/6/17 1:17 p.m.

In reply to MDJeepGuy:

Going for a troll moniker?

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
4/6/17 1:20 p.m.
Blaise wrote: I stay the hell away from "for sale by owner" ads that clearly are anything but. Having the middle man in place jacks up the price and you can't even ask any questions! That being said, the key to a good negotiation isn't an offer... it's having the other guy state the number first. 95% of the time, you can just say 'look, I don't want to do the whole back-and-forth' lowballing thing, just tell me what you want for it and I'll just say yes or no.' 95% of the time, the person will give you a lower number. Congrats, you just saved $ and you can always still go lower. If you make an offer first you'll either risk overpaying or insult the guy. -Bought a perfect condition '89 F-150 for $600 like this (listed for $750). -Bought a '96 miata like this for $800 instead of $1500 -Bought my old '92 miata back from the guy I sold it to(!). I had sold it to him for THREE TIMES the price a year prior. ($1500 vs $4500) -Got $600 off the price of my Xterra without anything wrong with it at all Lots of other vehicles obviously but the key is...Great deals, no insults. Always let the other guy say a number first.

This. I purchased my current track car this way. Found an S13 240SX for sale on the street in my neighborhood. Had $900 obo on the window. The seller obviously didn't know about the drift tax and should have listed it for $2400. After meeting him and test driving it I asked him "what are you looking to get out of this?" I was going to offer $850 just to make me feel like I got a better deal, but he said he wanted $700. I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough. Didn't low ball, just asked what he needed. As far as I 'm concerned everybody was happy in the end.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
4/6/17 1:34 p.m.
markwemple wrote: In reply to MDJeepGuy: Going for a troll moniker?

Maybe, PM for details

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/7/17 5:06 a.m.

I texted him, very nicely, and asked him how much he was looking to get for the car. His reply was friendly enough, said he was firm on the price for now, and had a guy coming to look at it last night and a guy from PA today.

I did mention the fender and the front seat (which is showing some wear) and he didn't address either.

I have noticed the flush-headlight 240's seem to be commanding some money. Also, it was around the same time frame that Volvo went away from the biodegradeable wiring that plagued the earlier 240 (sort of like the mid-90's Mercedes)

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/7/17 7:41 a.m.
NEALSMO wrote: This. I purchased my current track car this way. Found an S13 240SX for sale on the street in my neighborhood. Had $900 obo on the window. The seller obviously didn't know about the drift tax and should have listed it for $2400. After meeting him and test driving it I asked him "what are you looking to get out of this?" I was going to offer $850 just to make me feel like I got a better deal, but he said he wanted $700. I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough. Didn't low ball, just asked what he needed. As far as I 'm concerned everybody was happy in the end.

Beautiful, and well done. Like you said, everybody is happy and there's way more money left in your pocket. Boom.

That being said, I've (rarely) offered over asking on some items. When I come across something priced insanely low, I'll email and offer, say, $200 above asking just to jump the line. By then there's usually 100 people in line waiting to buy and it's well worth it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vYgH9hk7yUwoZt0xFD5hDdIHAz4TdZhxaOgyLUWXqAg1kttJI05tcpkxZw0IZ7CW