1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 2:54 p.m.

Oh, here we go.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 2:56 p.m.

I'll also agree with the folks that are saying pull the plugs and get some detergent oil in there. I've made it a practice to do this whenever an engine has been sitting more than a few months now.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/14/19 5:51 p.m.
iceracer said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Jeez.   You only said "Drive it",  Not beat the pixx out of it.

Maybe you are too young to know what a proper ITU is.kiss

It's a 2 liter non turbo engine, how else do you drive them?  wink

Higher load is more important than high RPM. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/15/19 8:12 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I'll also agree with the folks that are saying pull the plugs and get some detergent oil in there. I've made it a practice to do this whenever an engine has been sitting more than a few months now.

And along those lines, if you're planning for it to sit for a while (especially if it's not somewhere climate controlled), stall it out with fogging oil on the last shutdown (or put a little oil in the cylinders and turn it over after shutdown).  That should prevent the rings from sticking in the first place.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/15/19 11:31 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

The sad part is, it sounds like the "car sat for years" part of the equation was sudden and unintentional.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/16/19 3:42 p.m.

I added two cap fulls of marvel mystery oil to each cylinder at lunch.  I will keep everyone posted...

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/16/19 3:54 p.m.

That'll be a good start.  I'd be tempted to add a bit more.  2 cap fulls may not be enough depending on how the pistons are shaped, etc.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/16/19 4:44 p.m.

My thought is turn it over by hand a few times tomorrow and then add two more cap fulls

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/16/19 7:19 p.m.

Yes, taking it slow and letting the solvents work is a good way to do it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/19/19 7:57 p.m.

I ragged the car out pretty good today.  It still has a little misfire at idle but it definitely runs well enough to enter the challenge.

I am going to fiddle with it more tomorrow.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/19/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Good, good! Keep up with driving it as often as you can.  Some engines are needy, in that they need to be run often in order to be happy and they will let you know loud and clear if you are not attending to them often enough.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/19/19 8:03 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I ragged the car out pretty good today.  It still has a little misfire at idle but it definitely runs well enough to enter the challenge.

I am going to fiddle with it more tomorrow.

Seriously- that line deserves to be in the magazine.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/20/19 10:39 a.m.

Ok so I re did the compression test this morning.

160 - 160 - 70 - 155.

They all came up significantly.  Any thoughts on the low cylinder?  Should I keep soaking it in the mmo and drive it again , or should I  try something else?

I haven't tried the seafoam yet.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/20/19 10:50 a.m.

I tested it wet after letting it soak for about 20 minutes and the low cylinder came up to 145.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/20/19 11:07 a.m.

Sounds like you’re at the just keep driving it phase

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/20/19 1:54 p.m.

I’d make an exhaust manifold that merges 1, 2, and 4, use that to spool a turbo, then make an intake that only boosts 3.

because Challenge.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/21/19 3:16 p.m.

After soaking overnight the low cylinder was at 120 psi.  I let the car idle for 30 minutes and tested the low cylinder afterwards and it was at 120 psi hot.  I think its making a comeback...

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/21/19 5:35 p.m.

That definitely says the issue on the low cylinder is rings and not valves.  And being that it's improving, they're probably just stuck and not totally screwed.  So definitely keep driving it, run it hard and give it plenty of high rpm / closed throttle decel cycles to get the rings moving as best as possible.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/21/19 7:23 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Don’t call it a comeback.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/21/19 7:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Thank you.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/21/19 7:48 p.m.

Was just wondering if this one would come back to life.  Glad to hear you are winning the battle.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/22/19 7:30 p.m.

125 psi today.   I am going to change all the fluids and start driving it once a week, hopefully some beat down will help get it up to snuff.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/22/19 7:34 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

Don’t call it a comeback.

I’ve been here for years. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmEC8bbp7worwxxzOR2dBVoatmr3EBFhujQzlV1MruE0XACsixQMObCVXJCIC3vt