1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/6/15 3:47 p.m.
Skervey wrote: Ya I have been all over the internet looking at other peoples swap (think I got all the way to page 15 on google...) more of the guys running carbs have cowl hoods... noddaz I don't think I follow you. The cap you are showing is for a EFI distributor. Is there a way to fit a EFI cap onto a vacuum advance distributor?

yeah, you put the bottom part of the cap on, then the top part.. you can put points caps on EFI distributors, and EFI caps on points distributors.. i don't really think you actually gain much for clearance..

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/6/15 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Skervey:

I just measured the distributor height in the '69 Cougar. From the mounting surface to the top of the female terminal on the distributor cap (no plug wire) it's just under 7". Like 6 7/8". It's a stock points distributor for a 302 and stock style cap.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/6/15 5:09 p.m.

Rob_Mopar you may be my saving grace! With the raise in the center of my hood I think I just have 7.5" so that will work! I will just swap over a steel gear onto that distributor and it should work. at least that's the hope.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/12/15 9:17 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: distributor height in the '69 Cougar.

What brand unit is it? I cant find any locally at parts stores that I can measure, I have to order all of them.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/12/15 9:21 p.m.

It's the stock Motorcraft/Ford piece from the late '60's/early '70's. I'll check it tomorrow to see if there's a tag on it.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/12/15 10:41 p.m.

Grate thanks, i found one autozone that should have it in stock but its 45 min away. I might grab it tomorrow. If it will fit.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/13/15 4:48 p.m.

Looks like a parts store replacement for this one is an A1 302809 (reman) or Cardone Select (new) 842809. The new one will probably be cheaper without having a core for the reman.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/14/15 8:46 a.m.

Thanks Rob_Mopar, I was able to find a cool guy at the parts store to to get the distributor and physically measure it for me. He said it was just under 7" witch would fit for me.

Its an autozone parts number, BDLG-FD30 it is a vacuum advance distributor with a steel gear for HO motors.

But in other news I think I am going tomorrow to get a complete EFI setup from a 95 mustang (SN95). Still not sold on all the wiring that will be needed but he is trading for it so its going to be really cheap for me and I will be able to get my $ back out if I decide to go carbed in the end.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kDt5V3fBxADkKM7HI3dr8wNqvd08MMMS21B4PXitCs9h0UKPJrkPrG46bTPlTEDB