Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
3/6/11 6:04 p.m.

I'm taking the stock RX-7 radiator out of the Abomination and installing an aluminum one. The aluminum one is for a RX-7, but of course it's not a direct bolt in. It's a good bit wider than the old one. I can't move it forward because then it hits the hood. So I'm going to lay it down. I had planned on about 45 degrees. Is there any reason I can't lay it down almost flat? I know I'll have to put a inline fill point high in the system. Any other problems y'all can think of. Thanks.

Here are a few images of what I'm thinking.

Here is a before.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/6/11 6:06 p.m.

the 300zx used a lay down radiator...

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
3/6/11 7:10 p.m.

Lower is good but probably offset by the fact the weight is also moved forward which is not so good.

Same thing applies to subau engines

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
3/6/11 7:37 p.m.

I think you are going to need to fully shroud it and possibly put a vent in the hood to get good flow over the radiator.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/6/11 7:49 p.m.

And direct air onto it through the front opening, even enlarge the front openings. That said there is no reason no to lay it down if you keep it able to be filled and bled

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
3/13/11 6:10 p.m.

OK so it isn't too low. Just enough to give me hood clearance. New mounts built and painted. Relocated oil cooler. New fan mounts built. New hoses and the system is bled and seems to be working fine. I still need to build an air dam and ducting for the bottom and sides, but it should get me through the autocross next weekend.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
3/13/11 6:11 p.m.

You will want to plumb in a surge tank at the highest point in the cooling system.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
3/13/11 6:38 p.m.
chaparral wrote: You will want to plumb in a surge tank at the highest point in the cooling system.

+1

I was about ready to say that, but since this is a non-road car, I think he may be able to get away with it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
3/13/11 7:20 p.m.

I picked up one from LKQ yesterday out of a Volvo. I'm going to try it without it for now. The overflow will have to do.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/13/11 8:42 p.m.

Have you looked at using a second gen RX7 thermostat housing/upper water pump outlet?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/13/11 8:53 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: OK so it isn't too low. Just enough to give me hood clearance. New mounts built and painted. Relocated oil cooler. New fan mounts built. New hoses and the system is bled and seems to be working fine.

Nice work.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
3/13/11 9:18 p.m.

Not bad, not bad. My old car seems to be in good hands.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
3/20/11 9:12 p.m.

Woo Hoo!! It all worked like a charm. Engine temps never crossed 195. We put 15 runs on it and it ran great. The fuel pump got replaced while in the shop which helped a bunch. It's still got a little bit of a stumble on left hand corners, but not near as bad as before.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/20/11 9:18 p.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote:
chaparral wrote: You will want to plumb in a surge tank at the highest point in the cooling system.
+1 I was about ready to say that, but since this is a non-road car, I think he may be able to get away with it.

I did this with the E30 of Doom and... I'm doing the head this week because I overheated it. It is really, really hard to get all the air out or fill it completely unless you throw some part of the system up high. Even more important on a race car as "Mr. I dont Need That" himself is finding out.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
3/20/11 9:26 p.m.

Even with the radiator laid down some the cap is still a good 2-3 inches above the rest of the system. Purging the air was easy. The original design call for the radiator to be laid down more and I had a purge tank on hand to use.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IOrPMyMDBFBIjvZDvVTvAPyof6fHeMGD4ORk6d919bjbALvjUergU18t5M25SOSt